Which amp for ProAc Response 1sc speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone have these speakers? Which amp do you have on them? Im looking at NAIM 5i, PRIMARE I21, DENSEN B110, CREEK 5350-DESTINY. Should I look at something else? Thanks.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="vasada"]Does anyone have these speakers? Which amp do you have on them?

Im looking at NAIM 5i, PRIMARE I21, DENSEN B110, CREEK 5350-DESTINY.
Should I look at something else?

Thanks.[/quote]
I tried these speakers when I auditioned the Spendor SA1 and Proac Tab Ref 8 Sigs. I'd run out of steam by this point in the day and I immediately didn't favour the sound over the Spendors, but that's taste. They are superb speakers and so they should be at the RRP of about £1250. I had concerns over the rear port and I can't place such speakers without getting boom. My thought would be that if you're going to buy a stand mounter of that quality be sure that you can place it well to do it justice. A home demo might make sure this works. The last thing you want is £1250 of midrange and boom boom boom.

Amp matching is also about taste but I'd probably favor the Densen B110 and then the Creek Destiny...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="vasada"]
Does anyone have these speakers? Which amp do you have on them? Im looking at NAIM 5i, PRIMARE I21, DENSEN B110, CREEK 5350-DESTINY. Should I look at something else? Thanks.
[/quote]

AVI Lab Series

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"][quote user="vasada"]Does anyone have these speakers? Which amp do you have on them?

Im looking at NAIM 5i, PRIMARE I21, DENSEN B110, CREEK 5350-DESTINY.
Should I look at something else?

Thanks.[/quote]
I tried these speakers when I auditioned the Spendor SA1 and Proac Tab Ref 8 Sigs. I'd run out of steam by this point in the day and I immediately didn't favour the sound over the Spendors, but that's taste. They are superb speakers and so they should be at the RRP of about £1250. I had concerns over the rear port and I can't place such speakers without getting boom. My thought would be that if you're going to buy a stand mounter of that quality be sure that you can place it well to do it justice. A home demo might make sure this works. The last thing you want is £1250 of midrange and boom boom boom.

Amp matching is also about taste but I'd probably favor the Densen B110 and then the Creek Destiny...[/quote]
Forgive me if this was patronizing BTW - never sure who you're talking to!

A

Anonymous

This thing with the rear port could really be a trouble. The room is 3x3m, so they have to be placed near the wall.

The thing is that almost all the speakers at this price range are rear ported.

The AUDIO PHYSIC STEP for example that I have for a home trial are rear ported too. At high volumes you can hear enough boom boom.

The SONUS FABER CONCERTINO are front ported but I cant take them home for a trial.

I can get the 1sc s at around 1400euros new. Its a good price, so I can sell them again if it doesn't work...

A

Anonymous

I have Leema Zyp's,big step up from my GS 20's.

the Leema's are a relatively small cabinet,front ported,£1200.

I heard a pair of Xone's (floorstanders) at a hi-fi club and the next day asked for a pair of the companys best stand mounts on demo.after a couple of days I placed an order.

http://www.leema-acoustics.com/xyp.html

the link hasn't worked,Again.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="vasada"]
The thing is that almost all the speakers at this price range are rear ported.
[/quote]
In steps the new Spendor SA1 at £1,100. Sealed unit and easy as pie to place. :)

John Duncan

[quote user="igglebert"][quote user="vasada"] The thing is that almost all the speakers at this price range are rear ported. [/quote] In steps the new Spendor SA1 at £1,100. Sealed unit and easy as pie to place. :)[/quote]

nnnnnnnnnggggggggghhhhhhhh. My Primare is still sitting in my (work) drawer, begging me to take it next door to audition with the SA1s in the Sevenoaks window. I haven't dared yet, because I just know I'll buy them if I do...........

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="igglebert"][quote user="vasada"] The thing is that almost all the speakers at this price range are rear ported. [/quote] In steps the new Spendor SA1 at £1,100. Sealed unit and easy as pie to place. :)[/quote]

nnnnnnnnnggggggggghhhhhhhh. My Primare is still sitting in my (work) drawer, begging me to take it next door to audition with the SA1s in the Sevenoaks window. I haven't dared yet, because I just know I'll buy them if I do...........[/quote]

They're reviewed this month in a hifi mag I won't name. One comment was that they don't sound like a typical Spendor but are far more enthralling. Never heard any other Spendors so have no idea but they are incredibly musical and probably the most ridiculously fast speaker I've ever heard. The reviewer kept comparing them favorably with his Quad 989s so must be OK. Not that I'm trying to tempt you...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="vasada"]
This thing with the rear port could really be a trouble. The room is 3x3m, so they have to be placed near the wall. The thing is that almost all the speakers at this price range are rear ported. The AUDIO PHYSIC STEP for example that I have for a home trial are rear ported too. At high volumes you can hear enough boom boom. The SONUS FABER CONCERTINO are front ported but I cant take them home for a trial. I can get the 1sc s at around 1400euros new. Its a good price, so I can sell them again if it doesn't work...
[/quote]

I thought you already have them. Try Iggs spendors or Rega's R3 for a room that small. They sound much more expensive than their £500 tag so dont be put off by that. Alternatively try Proacs Studio 100, a very good speaker for the money, front ported too.

John Duncan

[quote user="igglebert"][quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="igglebert"][quote user="vasada"] The thing is that almost all the speakers at this price range are rear ported. [/quote] In steps the new Spendor SA1 at £1,100. Sealed unit and easy as pie to place. :)[/quote]

nnnnnnnnnggggggggghhhhhhhh. My Primare is still sitting in my (work) drawer, begging me to take it next door to audition with the SA1s in the Sevenoaks window. I haven't dared yet, because I just know I'll buy them if I do...........[/quote]

They're reviewed this month in a hifi mag I won't name. One comment was that they don't sound like a typical Spendor but are far more enthralling. Never heard any other Spendors so have no idea but they are incredibly musical and probably the most ridiculously fast speaker I've ever heard. The reviewer kept comparing them favorably with his Quad 989s so must be OK. Not that I'm trying to tempt you...[/quote]

(Fingers in ears lalalalalalala)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="igglebert"][quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="igglebert"][quote user="vasada"] The thing is that almost all the speakers at this price range are rear ported. [/quote] In steps the new Spendor SA1 at £1,100. Sealed unit and easy as pie to place. :)[/quote]

They're reviewed this month in a hifi mag I won't name. One comment was that they don't sound like a typical Spendor but are far more enthralling. Never heard any other Spendors so have no idea but they are incredibly musical and probably the most ridiculously fast speaker I've ever heard. The reviewer kept comparing them favorably with his Quad 989s so must be OK. Not that I'm trying to tempt you...[/quote]

(Fingers in ears lalalalalalala)[/quote]
(offers a hobnob)THEY'RE REALLLY NICE(/offers a hobnob)

A

Anonymous

Well, after some more home trials, the search is down to the following:

DENSEN B110 or PRIMARE I21 with AUDIO PHYSIC SPARK or PROAC RESPONSE 1sc.

Next week I will try to audition the PROACs, unfortunately not at home. The dealer does not do that...So, I will never get a real comparison.

I have the rest home right now and for a few days more.

DENSEN and PRIMARE seem to be better than the NAIM 5i (to my ears) with the AUDIO PHYSIC.
The COPLAND CSA28 is far better than all of them but its more expensive so it is out of the game.

What should I do now?

Should I take the PROACs without real audition?
How bad can they be?

A

Anonymous

They're very good but make sure you can accommodate a rear ported speaker with some decent breathing space. Plugging them is always an option but never ideal. I think they'll be good with both the Densen and Primare TBH but if it was my cash I'd need to demo it first.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"]They're very good but make sure you can accommodate a rear ported speaker with some decent breathing space. Plugging them is always an option but never ideal. I think they'll be good with both the Densen and Primare TBH but if it was my cash I'd need to demo it first.[/quote]

Well I arranged a demo on Tuesday. The problem is I'm going at the dealers and I cant take them home. So, how can I compare just by memory?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="vasada"][quote user="igglebert"]They're very good but make sure you can accommodate a rear ported speaker with some decent breathing space. Plugging them is always an option but never ideal. I think they'll be good with both the Densen and Primare TBH but if it was my cash I'd need to demo it first.[/quote]

Well I arranged a demo on Tuesday. The problem is I'm going at the dealers and I cant take them home. So, how can I compare just by memory?[/quote]
If that's what it comes to yes. You could always ask your dealer if there's a few days money back guarantee though. I've never home demoed kit and have always been happy to lean on my experience and understanding of room req'ts. I would have probably bought the 1SCs had I the right room! But the Spendors are as good anyway :) Hope you have a great time on Tuesday - please feedback to us!

A

Anonymous

Well, tonight Im gonna have the ProAc s home. I auditioned them at the dealer's and decided to buy them. The price is 1750 euros, by the way.

Im gonna have them with the Primare and the Densen over the weekend and finally decide over the amp.

A

Anonymous

Well the ProAc s are home. Just out of the box, and they sound great. I listened yesterday with the Primare I21, today Im gonna try the DENSEN too. I have to decide which amp until Monday. Speakers are great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts