Which 50-55 ınch set?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was wrting to ask advise on a 50inch TV replacement, I do not want a 3D set at present. I have had Panasonic screens all of my life and I am looking to replace my 42 Panasonic plasma. My set up is an Onkyo 875 amp, Monitor Audio Silver RS8 AV12, PS3 for HD player and Sky HD. I have a budget of up to 1000-1500 pounds. The screen that is most obvious is the Panasonic TX-P50G20 but I notice the new LG 50PK990 has had better reviews and a cheaper price. The third choice is the new LG55LE8900 which I have already seen at 1500 although it is not released until August. I think out of the two 50 inch sets the 50PK990 looks to win due to looks on the wall and functions but I was wondering if the LG 55LE8900 was worth the extra investment.

andy_s

May 3, 2010
Visit site
hi,

my money is on the new LG-LE8900, go for the 55inch one its not really that much bigger, i have waited a while to see what tests have been on this and its passed my expectations even though i have not seen it in the flesh,i would have considered the 9900 but at about a grand more im gonna leave it ,

dont forget also that the new 8900 is full led too and is more energy efficient than the two plasmas you mention.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We have a 50in Supertest - including the Panasonic and LG plasmas - in our next issue (on sale 17th September), and will be reporting on 2010's final new TV releases next week at the IFA show.

A

Anonymous

Pettifer1:I was wrtÕng to ask advÕse on a 50Õnch TV replacement, I do not want a 3D set at present. I have had PanasonÕc screens all of my lÕfe and I am lookÕng to replace my 42 PanasonÕc plasma. My set up Õs an Onkyo 875 amp, MonÕtor AudÕo SÕlver RS8 AV12, PS3 for HD player and Sky HD.

I have a budget of up to 1000-1500 pounds. The screen that Õs most obvÕous Õs the PanasonÕc TX-P50G20 but I notÕce the new LG 50PK990 has had better revÕews and a cheaper prÕce. The thÕrd choÕce Õs the new LG55LE8900 whÕch I have already seen at 1500 although Õt Õs not released untÕl August. I thÕnk out of the two 50 Õnch sets the 50PK990 looks to wÕn due to looks on the wall and functÕons but I was wonderÕng Õf the LG 55LE8900 was worth the extra Õnvestment.

I had a similar dilemma with 50" plasmas and after alot of thinking i went for the pk990 (£1100) over the pk590 (£800), g20 (£1400) and s20 (£900) i had a budget of roughly a £1000 but was limited to buying from comet hence the prices.

I have only ever owned a panny plasma which has been faultless for me so it was hard for me to pick the lg instead, but to my eyes the g20 looked good but not at nearly double the price of the pk590 which i would of gone for if it was my own money but as i had a warranty claim i decided on the pk990 for the features and looks which essentially only cost me a £100.

I couldn't demo the pk990 but as i was so impressed with the pk590 picture i figure the extra features and filter can only enhance the picture more and at some point i'll get it isf calibrated aswell to get the maximum out of the set.

A

Anonymous

Hello Pettifer.

I have the same dilema. Im looking to upgrade my hitachi pd5200, blast from the past!

I came within a whisker of ordering the 50pk990 on the strength of WHM reveiw but read another longer term test and was rated only 3/5. I had heard so much on the panny 50v20 so looked into that.

After reading maxflinn's (war and peace version) reveiw ive started to shop around for the panny 50v20 and have found some good'ish prices, close to your budget.

And how good is toy story in 3D..

Good luck

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
It is 3 fine tellys you have chosen for the shoot-out. No matter which one you choose I think you will be happy with the outcome.

If you always had plasma TVs before you should be aware, that moving to an LCD TV is little different from what you are used to. There are advantages and disadvantages with both technologies, and even though it can be difficult to evaluate the actual picture performance in shops, it may still be a good idea to go out and have a look.

Personally I would go for either the LG PK990 or the Panasonic G20.

Good luck in the hunting!

A

Anonymous

id be looking at the 50v20 or the lg55le8900 , which if it can be got for £1500 is a great price for what your getting . actually that sounds too cheap to be honest , are you sure its that price ?

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
Well the VT20 can be had for around £1900, so the V20 should be cheaper!

me meant the 55in lg
emotion-15.gif
, surely not £1500 ?

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
maxflinn:id be looking at the 50v20 or the lg55le8900 , which if it can be got for £1500...NOw you can see where the confusion came in....that can be read two ways
emotion-2.gif

sure can boss
emotion-5.gif

doubt the op seen the 55in lg for £1500 though ? i would think more like £2000ish , but i could be wrong ...

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:We have a 50in Supertest - including the Panasonic and LG plasmas - in our next issue (on sale 17th September), and will be reporting on 2010's final new TV releases next week at the IFA show.

Hi Clare,

Sometimes you let us know which models will be reviewed in the magazines, any chance knowing which models will be in this test?

Thanks
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts