which 5.1 package should I choose?

LEEMCCANN

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi

Im looking to upgrade from original MA Radius package and am looking for a definate step up in terms of performance. iVe ben happy with the radius speakers (r270, r225 and r90 rears) but have a larger (4.5m x 4.8m) room now and can accomodate larger speakers. I have a REL stampede sub, Denon 2310 receiver and sony blu ray, my main use is TV and movie but i do listen to a lot of music also via my laptop and will be buying an arcam DAC very soon.

Im looking o first upgrade the front left and right and over the next few months complete the 5.

I have tested some B&W Cm1's which i really liked and the black gloss finish that comes in the standard price is very tempting. These would initially be used as fronts adding a centre in a couple of months but moved to the rear after the purchase of some floor standers, possibly the cm8's later inthe year.

I have been reading around though and have a couple of other options:

Tannoy Revolution signature (same sort of set up as above, bookshelf to start then moving upto floor standers)- ive seen the equivalent speakers to the non signature range for virtually the same price - can anyone see why this would be?

Monitor audio Silver RX - these are a little cheaper than the B&W's but id be going for the gloss balck finish which makes them virtually the same price

Monitor audio Apex (id be getting the small a10's to start then 3 a40's wallmounted at the front)- love the look of these but how well do they compare to a full size speaker?

Im going to try audition all these but cant find a shop near that stock the Tanno'sy instore so I would apreciate any avice in adavnce.

thanks

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
It's always going to be about preference..... your preference specifically , but i would add the new Kef Q series for consideration. Also for consideration and right at this moment in time at the top of the list for consideration would be the PSB Imagine Series.

The PSB's seem to have a good rep going for them but you would obviously need to check this out for yourself.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/psb-brings-image-5-series-speakers-to-the-uk

The range to check are avaliable here

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/index.php?searchStr=psb&Submit=Go&restrictCat=&act=viewCat

If you do a serech on PSB imagine speakers you will come across reviews etc i won't link to these as they may contravine house rule.

good luck in your search for your upgrade.

LEEMCCANN

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for the advice, Ive looked at the KEF's, Im not too keen on the appearance which is quite a large factor.

Im very much edging towards the Apex range for the appearance and ease of positioning. Im going to arrange a demo of these with the Silver RX's, after reading the reviews it will be interesting to see how they both compare, also I really want to make sure im getting a noticable difference on my Radius range.

thanks

MA Apex is a definite improvement over the Radius HD, and so a bigger improvement over the Radius. It should pair well with your Denon.....although an upgrade to Denon 3312 or the Yamaha RX-V3067 will give you a bigger improvement. The receivers to look out for, are the newer 2011 Yamaha RXA1010 / RXA2010 from the Aventage series.

I've got the Apex subwoofer & it's awesome!

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I auditioned the apex and the rx6 speaker packages and plumped for the rx. In my opinion it was a better all rounder. Bass from the apex fronts(both standmounter and floorstander) couldnt match the rx6 imho. Good that you are going to audition though. Cant really talk about amps though as the pioneer was the model i wanted after listening to Denon model and a cheaper Marantz.

Take a look at my system thread. The Gloss Black is immense to look at!!! (wife chose the finish)

LEEMCCANN

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks both for the advice

I know im going to want the RX's when i see them! it seems like better value to be fair as ill eventually be geting 2 A40 Apex's at the front if thats the range I chose and the price is very similar for a lot less cabinet.

RE my amp, i may well upgrade that but not for a year or so its not that old at the moment.

Has anyone got any opinions on the RXFX rears? i cant put them on side walls as i have a full height window right where they would go, would they still work well on a rear wall? My sofa is right up to the wall they would be on.

LEEMCCANN

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks both for the advice

I know im going to want the RX's when i see them! it seems like better value to be fair as ill eventually be geting 2 A40 Apex's at the front if thats the range I chose and the price is very similar for a lot less cabinet.

RE my amp, i may well upgrade that but not for a year or so its not that old at the moment.

Has anyone got any opinions on the RXFX rears? i cant put them on side walls as i have a full height window right where they would go, would they still work well on a rear wall? My sofa is right up to the wall they would be on.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
I remember a previous post somebody was in exactly the same position, they couldnt put the fx on the sides so they managed to put 1 on a side wall and another on the back wall near the corner of the room. Theory maybe sound bounces?? Mine are in the corners aligned with the sofa but firing into a curtain pelmit??!! Mcacc calibration seems to have worked though. See if you can demo them in the store with them in the position they would be in your home.

LEEMCCANN

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
hi again

I should be able to manage 1 on the side and 1 rear so may give that a go

Another question, what do people think about front height channels? - ive got a spare set of Radius 90's serving that purpose at the moment but if im honest im not hearing much, what should i be looking(or listening) for? my set up is pretty perfect at the front im 4m away from the front 3 speakers dead straight on and the front height are 1.5m higher than the left and right and around 1m wider.

am i better using the spare radius as rear/side speakers as when i get he 2 new fronts I wll have 4 radius 90's to use somewhere. it would be nice to test all this but means drilling loads of holes all over.

also in terms of rears for the time being are they better higher or at ear hieght?

sorry for all the questions, its good to get opinions though

LEEMCCANN

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
hi again

I should be able to manage 1 on the side and 1 rear so may give that a go

Another question, what do people think about front height channels? - ive got a spare set of Radius 90's serving that purpose at the moment but if im honest im not hearing much, what should i be looking(or listening) for? my set up is pretty perfect at the front im 4m away from the front 3 speakers dead straight on and the front height are 1.5m higher than the left and right and around 1m wider.

am i better using the spare radius as rear/side speakers as when i get he 2 new fronts I wll have 4 radius 90's to use somewhere. it would be nice to test all this but means drilling loads of holes all over.

also in terms of rears for the time being are they better higher or at ear hieght?

sorry for all the questions, its good to get opinions though

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts