whfi review settings for panasonic 46g15 ??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi guys , ive just picked up a 46g10 , and was hoping you might give me the settings that you found best when reviewing the g15 , i do appreciate that they may not be right for my envoirement , but could give me a good starting point .... ta...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
There seem to be a lot of threads about picture settings of late. Maybe there should be a whole new strand of the whf forum where users can share their settings? If whf could publish their settings for all tvs after calibration, that would also prove extremely useful...

A

Anonymous

Using a 'set up disc' is very useful ( people have started to misuse this phrase calibrate) 'but in its absense I have found the 'old' method to be adequate.

Turn off all picture processing like IFC and NR.

Set TV is the 'personal/normal' control and tints to neutral. Remove colour to view a BW picture play with 2 controls Brightness and Contrast until the picture contians blacks with some detail and whites bright but not 'burning'

Then re-introduce colour so its natural not 'poster paint' like.

You can then play with sharpness and tints to what you prefer.

For the first 100/200 hrs keep the levels lower than these settings to 'so say' reduce future SB/ IR; it can hurt to do so.

I also always have an analogue channel tuned to noise incase of any incidents of IR. I have not had any SB to date, even after leaving the picture on pause for a stupid perid of time.

Ed,

SnowyJohn

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
May I ask how much you paid for the g10?

I'm considering getting a 42 - 46 inch plasma and have been considering the g10 but haven't really dedicated much time to reviewing the difference between the g10 and g15.

What made you go for that particular model?

Kind regards,

John

A

Anonymous

paid 1160euros here in ireland , but i was lucky to get a big discount , 1360 is the normal price , and about the cheapest ive seen , in the uk i beleive it can be got for £750 ...they dont do a g15 here , i chose the g10 as i just prefer plasmas , and their natural picture , and lovely deep blacks , im not dissapointed ...

eddy i will give your tuning suggestion a go ...

A

Anonymous

Hi maxflinn i know it is a bit cheeky. And i know you have got some extra controls but it would be very nice of you to post your settings. Mine comes on tuesday cant wait but have too. I only ask because i cant seem to find many settings online for the 46g10 every reviewer seems to think settings are sensitive information.

Im only watching 1080p sources on it. And only in dark room, no lights hence the need for plasma.

I know every enviroment is different but it would be nice to have a decent benchmark setting and then you can adjust to your needs. Any way how is the picture before any fine tuning. Also will you be taking any anti burn measures because i have read. this tv is not really affected by this.

And one more thing promise the last. Have you played a bluray at 24fps because i have heard some not many though say it had judder although every review of the g10 series negates this.

Thanks for reading and have fun.

A

Anonymous

hi impulsive , at the moment i just have it set to cinema mode , with the gamma set to 2.2 .. im going to wait a few weeks before trying to achieve the picture i like ,as i dont want any screen burn issues , however unlikely , and , cos i believe (many dont) that plasmas seem to improve after a few weeks ..

i also watch my movies and tv with no lights , and the picture at the moment is lovely , much sharper and with more detail than the last panny i had 46pz8b from last year , the blacks are very deep also , with nice shadow detail in dark scenes , its the perfect tv for me ..

i have noticed some mild judder when playing bluray , not much though , turning on i.f.c. sorted it for the most part though , it handles motion quite well ,one thing that did surprise me was the pin sharp picture while watching planet earth on bluray , it was better than the samsung 46b650 i had for the last week , and the underwater shots especially seemed more natural to my eyes ..

the sd though is not quite as good as the samsung , at least at the moment , still very watchable , but i didnt get this for coronation st , as i say blurays and upscaled dvds (by the ps3) bbc hd etc are perfect for me , sd is good enough and may improve when calibrated , the sound isnt too bad at all , much better than the samsung , not too bassy , but a nice wide sound range when set to v surround ..

the lcd vs plasma debate will go on and on , i personally like them both , and dont think theres much in it either way , they are both catching up on the others traditional strengths in my opinion , this tv is only £750 in the uk , the philips 47pfl7404 not much more , very nice choices for small money , whatever you like ...
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

It's good to see you got the tv you wanted and that you're pleased with it.

I use cinema mode quite a bit, and I think it produces a very nice picture. When I first got my tv, I was worried about screen burn too, so I kept the contrast pretty low at about 35% and even that produced a pretty good picture, since I too, do all my viewing with no light.

I noticed some judder the other day whilst watching 2001 on blu ray, but as you say, switching IFC on removed any traces of this.

Have you tried setting the sound to 'Music'? I find this produces pretty good sound and an improvement over the default settings.

Enjoy your new tv!

A

Anonymous

hi hmtb ,thanks, yes i have it set to music , much better , i also have access to the white balance and gamma settings , the gamma is set at 2.2 , i have no idea what i should set the w.b. to , but ill do a bit of tweaking in a few weeks when the set beds in a bit , i really am pleased with the tv , when i get a few bob a yamaha soundbar is on the agenda too , if only there were a few more great movies coming out , ive seen all the good ones , heres hoping ...

A

Anonymous

I find that a good series boxset fills the gap nicely in the absence of great movies. At the moment I'm enjoying Mad Men season 2 on blu ray (£17.99 on hmv.co.uk) and it looks very nice, though the dvd of season 1 looks terrific too.

I'm looking forward to getting Star Trek, Inglorious Basterds and mesrine.

How much is the sound bar? is it a good/ cheaper alternative to a proper receiver and speakers system?

A

Anonymous

im not sure of the prices , im hoping £400 will get me a yamaha ysp600 , which is very good according to reviews , and whfis andy clough , who reccomended it to me a few months ago , i dont require groundshaking sound , or full surround sound , yes i know it adds to the whole expereience , especially with bluray , but because of the shape of my room , and the tv being in the corner , the soundbar makes sense for me , it apparently gives a similar experience to full surround , albeit not quite as good ..

speaking of content to watch , im currently looking at "baraka" on bluray , amazing pic quality ...

A

Anonymous

found some settings for the g10 that look very good

Profile: Cinema
Contrast 36
Brightness: 0
Colour: 30
Sharpness: 0
Colour balance Warm
Colour management Off
x.v.Colour Off
Eco-mode Off
P-NR Off
Intelligent Frame Creation Off
W/B High red -2
W/B High blue 0
W/B Low red -4
W/B Low blue 0
Gamma 2.2

they are for the european and irish version that have the white balance and gamma controls ..

i find it very strange that panasonic doesnt have those options on the uk versions , we normally lose out on spec here in ireland compared to uk models , makes a change , maybe we are being compensated for the lack of freesat , i wonder if it would be possible to add them via a firmware update ??

A

Anonymous

Below are the settings I generally use in a dark environment with no light:

Profile: Cinema/ THX mode

Contrast: 55/ 65

Brightness: 50/ 55

Colour: 55/ 55

Sharpness: 0/ 0

Colour balance: Warm/ N/A

Colour management: off/ N/A

Digital Cinema Colour: on/ N/A

Eco Mode: off/ N/A

PNR: off/ N/A

IFC: on/ N/A

Picture Overscan: off/ N/A

A lot of the settings on THX mode are restricted, and can't be changed.

Maxflinn, is that meant to be brightness on 0 on the settings you found?

A

Anonymous

the settings menus are different hmtb , i have the 46g10L , my contrast only goes up to 60 , colour too , brightness in cinema is set at 0 , in the centre of the slider , u then go right or left for + or -... the us version differs again afaik..

A

Anonymous

The settings I posted are expressed as a percentage of the bar filled ( a sort of guess on my part).

How did you work out yours, are they clicks starting from empty? (if that makes sense)

A

Anonymous

yes , clicks from left to right , with a corresponding number on the right ..

i believe in thx mode (i dont have that) the controls are limited to preserve the thx certified picture ...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts