WHF video. Can you guess the speaker?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey peoples, Just had this video appear in a feed. Give it a go and see if you can guess the speakers. Don't look at the youtube comments until after you have seen vid as there is a spoiler in the very first comment.

https://youtu.be/5eCfFsrE8t8

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Because whatever they are, they sound identical to the speakers that are built into my laptop which I'm using to watch the video on.
Very good point, and I totally agree with the argument you can't do truly appreciable listening on YouTube, but it's just a bit of fun, with no money to lose anywhere, so might be worth a little look.

daveh75 said:
steve_1979 said:
Because whatever they are, they sound identical to the speakers that are built into my laptop which I'm using to watch the video on.

Precisely!!!!

The whole premise is completely flawed...
Glad it's not just me that thinks this way. Recently, however, I did see someone post to the effect that if you treat YouTube like another source, and play through your hifi (or headphones, I suppose) then maybe it can tell you something. But then the limitation is presumably the microphone?

As for the video, I wouldn't have guessed though! Impressive.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
daveh75 said:
steve_1979 said:

Precisely!!!!

The whole premise is completely flawed...
Glad it's not just me that thinks this way.   Recently, however, I did see someone post to the effect that if you treat YouTube like another source, and play through your hifi (or headphones, I suppose) then maybe it can tell you something.  But then the limitation is presumably the microphone?

As for the video, I wouldn't have guessed though!  Impressive. 
Agreed, the premise is obviously flawed, but you can get a very rough idea of some traits of the system. And maybe from vids like this it can create an interest to go and check out a product in real life. You are never going to pick up and recreate the tiny nuances that make something hifi, and audiophile worthy, but you can get some of the larger characteristics of a system...sometimes.
And agreed, it's interesting result.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You will be surprised just what the microphone picks up if you use a quality microphone.

Whats the difference between picking up a hifi and picking up a band or drum kit.

Obviously just using laptop speakers might not be ideal but plug some decent headphones kef space one are very decent into a dragon fly red and you can get a pretty good idea of what was there.

Plus if you watch more of these vids then you get a feel for the sound of that room so you will be able to hear the differences.

Thanks for the shout out in this thread I thought it would surprise a few people :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Plus the big comparison in the video is the sound to the talking. I talk very loud and listen to how big the system sounds compared to the talking then wait and see whats making that sound :)

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Plus the big comparison in the video is the sound to the talking. I talk very loud and listen to how big the system sounds compared to the talking then wait and see whats making that sound :)
I only briefly watched earlier, through phone speakers. Recently just listened with akg 50 headphones on. I Def seemed to pick up more info with the headphones on. Was possibly a bit less impressed when I had the headphones on as j could hear the shortcomings I couldn't before. Bit then you remove the screen, and wow, what a difference. From what I can tell these speakers seem to fair best with guitar and vocals, which sounded tops, but bass tonality and depth seemed to be missing for EDM, but they still have a decent performance.
Good vid, enjoyed it.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
radiorog said:
ellisdj said:
I only briefly watched earlier, through phone speakers. Recently just listened with akg 50 headphones on. I Def seemed to pick up more info with the headphones on. Was possibly a bit less impressed when I had the headphones on as j could hear the shortcomings I couldn't before. Bit then you remove the screen, and wow, what a difference. From what I can tell these speakers seem to fair best with guitar and vocals, which sounded tops, but bass tonality and depth seemed to be missing for EDM, but they still have a decent performance.
Good vid, enjoyed it.

The screen shouldn't really affect things that much so I have been wondering if the speaker that is twisted was twisted the whole time.
I thought at the time it got bumped when the screen went up. Or maybe there was some flutter echo because even my voice seems to change as I move around that shouldn't happen with all the treatment in there.

Must also remember all the music is blue toothed from my phone its not full sample rate and I am having to blast the speakers as they dont get any free room gain because of all the acoustic treatment. It wasn't so much quality more scale I was going for as the surprise but there was still some good stereo imaging and transparency with fair control and dynamics given all the limitations

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
You will be surprised just what the microphone picks up if you use a quality microphone.

Whats the difference between picking up a hifi and picking up a band or drum kit.

Obviously just using laptop speakers might not be ideal but plug some decent headphones kef space one are very decent into a dragon fly red and you can get a pretty good idea of what was there.

Plus if you watch more of these vids then you get a feel for the sound of that room so you will be able to hear the differences.

Thanks for the shout out in this thread I thought it would surprise a few people :)

Funny you should say that I am sure I can hear your wife and kids talking in the next room at several points in the recording. *smile*

The screen does make quite a marked difference to the sound quality, it's much better without.

I guessed the make correctly but not the model . *biggrin*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi electro mate the family was making a riot next door but it was ok for the video.

Not a serious one just a bit of fun because thats very apt for the product

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts