WHF is biased towards Apple

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:

So, can I conclude from this discussion that those who don't like Apple are fascists?
emotion-5.gif

Seems about the size of it.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
So the iPad pointless?

Even IF the iPad is pointless as a PC/music storage etc etc as some say, can anyone not see the obvious use as a system remote control? Why is anyone going to buy a Restron now? Oh yeah, those with more money than sense and just wal into a dealer and say "there's £40k, I want a surround system and 2 other zones". In contrast to the £4/5k that Crestron ask for their remote, the Pad is a steal at £800, and it'll control your Sonos as well - and will only cost £500 more than the Sonos remote. With more and more products getting iPhone/iPad apps (Sony TV's, Pioneer amps and Blurays etc), it's just a matter of time.

A

Anonymous

Question: Do manufacturers pay WHF to review products in the magizine?

D

Deleted member 2457

daveh75:£800 for an ipad,just to use it as a remote is insane...

Totally agree
emotion-21.gif

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Prime Cuts:Question: Do manufacturers pay WHF to review products in the magizine?

Absolutely not. And they, and their PRs, NEVER see a review before it's published in the magazine or online.

A

Anonymous

an ipad costs £800 ? good lord above
emotion-8.gif

an £800 remote control ? ive heard it all now
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:So the iPad pointless?

Even IF the iPad is pointless as a PC/music storage etc etc as some say, can anyone not see the obvious use as a system remote control? Why is anyone going to buy a Restron now? Oh yeah, those with more money than sense and just wal into a dealer and say "there's £40k, I want a surround system and 2 other zones". In contrast to the £4/5k that Crestron ask for their remote, the Pad is a steal at £800, and it'll control your Sonos as well - and will only cost £500 more than the Sonos remote. With more and more products getting iPhone/iPad apps (Sony TV's, Pioneer amps and Blurays etc), it's just a matter of time.

Any Android device does that too David, using Gmote, works a charm. Ofcourse only people that actually already own such a device would find out about it, since mainstream media does not write about that and chooses to write minute by minute reports on bumper unveilings made by Apple instead.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
KevinOK:since mainstream media does not write about that and chooses to write minute by minute reports on bumper unveilings made by Apple instead.

OK, I'll bite: so why do you think that is, KevinOK?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
KevinOK:since mainstream media does not write about that and chooses to write minute by minute reports on bumper unveilings made by Apple instead.

OK, I'll bite: so why do you think that is, KevinOK?

It's because they reflect the public's interest Andrew. At least WHF. You've told me that, and I believed you there and then. Done. However I also still believe that an important and objective mag like WHF has a responsibility to resist hypes and give all manufacturers equal amount of coverage.

idc

KevinOK:chebby:
WHF can't win.

While I appreciate that a mag sometimes has to make difficult choices, with respect, that's just nonsense. It's perfectly reasonable to expect a big mag to give every manufacturer about equal coverage when they deserve it. Yet it's obvious that Apple gets much more coverage, even when nothing is known about the merits of a product, except for it's brandname (examples are iPad and iPhone 4).

I agree with your earlier post that it's pretty daft to publish a minute by minute report on the unveiling of a phone. I am not at all advocating that WHF should do this for competing phones as well. However, if WHF chooses to do so for Apple products, and doesn't even mention it's most important competitors, this hurts competition on the merits.

I have not been through the whole thread yet, but this stood out. WHF have explained, on many occasions, including this thread, why some products and brands do not get the same coverage as others. It is not as easy to get all products for review as people imagine.

EDIT - and now I have read the whole thread, it is clear some companies are their own worst enemies when it comes to promoting their products.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts