WHF is biased towards Apple

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
...And amazingly, those Apple stories ride consistently high in our most-viewed lists. Whereas the piece about all the impending tablet rivals for the single most pointless piece of consumer electronics ever iPad got just one comment.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
chebby:the biggest thing that would make me want to ditch the iMac are Apple fanboys and the embarassing possibility of being associated with them by ownership of the same brand.
Completely agree, in relation to both Apple and many other brands too...

It's a shame so many feel the need to justify their investments, instead of just enjoying them. An even greater shame they do so by such methods that can detract others.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:...And amazingly, those Apple stories ride consistently high in our most-viewed lists. Whereas the piece about all the impending tablet rivals for the single most pointless piece of consumer electronics ever iPad got just one comment.

Yes, after Clare and Andy you're the third one posting that argument.

Why would the public be so interested in Apple products and not it's competitors? Perhaps this has something to do with their products being hyped by Apple and the media helping them out? Iïve seen multiple minute to minute updates of Apple product launches. I`ve seen WHF staff discussing the iPad on this website making no effort to hide their excitement before even trying it (Clare included). This was fun BTW, but donït tell me Appleïs competitors get the same kind of coverage because thatïs just not true.

Now, Iïll stop here, I think Iïve made my point and Iïm happy and thankful that WHF staff at least paid attention to it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As the person who wrote all those stories I referenced before, I was trying to add some balance to the views on the topic. I'm no iPhone fan: I have one, and use it, but only because it's standard issue from our IT department, which has bought stacks of the things.

The first time I used it all day out and about it died before mid-afternoon, which means I have to use a supremely ugly battery case to keep it going: yes, there are some quite elegant ones, but I wasn't going to spend any more than I had to keeping the wretched thing juiced up. Its virtual keyboard is impossibly fiddly for the fat-fingered, and I think I made my views on the iPad fairly clear a post or two back.

I'm writing this on a MacBook Pro - again, company issue - but when I was asked for a recent company conference what my favourite piece of tech was, I replied 'the cheapest netbook I can find'. That's what I use when covering shows: a £200 Advent netbook, which has so far survived being taken around the world a few times, dropped, used for blogging on the world's bumpiest buses, and so on.

Apple fanboy? Not me, guv, but read the Forums and you will see how much that company's products - hardware and software - are anticipated and discussed.

So is our coverage reflecting or creating that interest?

A

Anonymous

Am I the only one getting sick of these "WHF is biased" threads? Honestly you all sound like a bunch of Daily Mail readers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
KevinOK:Something wrong with the Daily Mail?

Where shall I start? (1933 maybe)

In the words of Mark Thomas, in his book 'The People's Manifesto'...

"The Dail Mail should be forced to print the words 'The Paper that Supported Hitler' on it's masthead."

I don't think much has changed since then.

A

Anonymous

Why bang on about the Samsung when there's Nokia? The thinking person's telephone.

A

Anonymous

chebby:

"The Dail Mail should be forced to print the words 'The Paper that Supported Hitler' on it's masthead."

So that should go on the Royal Family's coat of arms too, then? Let's not forget there was a lot of support for Herr Hitler amongst the Windsors and their acolytes.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:chebby:

So that should go on the Royal Family's coat of arms too, then? Let's not forget there was a lot of support for Herr Hitler amongst the Windsors and their acolytes.

You need to read a bit more about Lord Rothermere's outright support for Hitler and Oswald Mosley and the blackshirts...

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/BUrothermere.htm

A

Anonymous

chebby:Tarquinh:chebby:

You need to read a bit more about Lord Rothermere's outright support for Hitler and Oswald Mosley and the blackshirts...

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/BUrothermere.htm

No, I don't, it is well documented. It's also a long time ago. Also, at the time Fascism was seen as a genuine alternative political philosophy.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Are we far enough away from the original topic, daft though it was, to knock this one on the head now?

Donït start Andrew, but I think we are.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:Also, at the time Fascism was seen as a genuine alternative political philosophy.

Yes, I hear it was quite popular in some quarters for a thousand twelve years.

A

Anonymous

chebby:
Tarquinh:Also, at the time Fascism was seen as a genuine alternative political philosophy.

Yes, I hear it was quite popular in some quarters for a thousand twelve years.

Think you're taking a few liberties there, Chebby. Fascism basically started as a political doctrine with Mussolini, and Nazism with Adolf Hitler. We may say that, for example, Genghis Khan, Attila the Hun or even Augustus were not far removed from it, but that is our interpretation, and not the reality. I'm sure those suffering under the yoke of feudalism didn't see it in Marxist terms, thought we may use Marxism as an interpretation of the system.

I'd still buy Nokia over Samsung and Apple, though.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
So, can I conclude from this discussion that those who don't like Apple are fascists?
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts