WHF have just reviewed the Oppo 105d - anyone knows how it scores?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

It's an interesting and very good review. I have compared the Oppo 103 to the Marantz and thought the Oppo was better, although I accept the differences might be in my head. I think it's right when it says it has the premium feel to it. I thought the Oppo 103 was fantastic piece of kit, build, packaging and customer service - all fantastic and it loads quick too. Add in 4K upscaling and 3D you are onto a winner, and not too badly priced. I think the review is right and deserved.

D

Deleted member 2457

Like others have mentioned though I don't think in terms of picture there will be any difference between the 103 and 105d, and also the Pioneer 450 the same. But I believe the perceived difference between the Marantz 7007 and the Panasonic could be there. The Oppo 103 was correct because it is the same as the Pioneer 450 so I agree there. But I am comfused with Oppo being the same, this should surely get a mention WHF? People like me spend good money on Blu-Ray players, there needs to be more input on the similarities between certain brands, for example most Pioneer's the same like 71 and the 91. If you compare them to other brands I have favourites too, but in reality small and if any.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
I thought the Oppo 103 was fantastic piece of kit, build, packaging and customer service - all fantastic and it loads quick too. Add in 4K upscaling and 3D you are onto a winner, and not too badly priced.

So fantastic that you sold it.
Yep, but no more fantastic than my Pioneer 71 and 91. But you have to include 4k upscaling which I doubt does much if anything, from my experience upscaling offers nothing, and 3D, which is what it is. *smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

Could someone from Whathifi comment on the similarities between brands eg that they are the same? Cheers. I think a statement will help a lot. Cheers.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
But you have to include 4k upscaling which I doubt does much if anything, from my experience upscaling offers nothing, and 3D, which is what it is. *smile*

I agree about 4K upscaling, a pointless feature on Blu-Rays players and on A/V receivers, since the upscaling in a good 4K television is likely to be at least as good as upscaling earlier in the chain!

(Do you like my selective quoting, by the way?? *smile*)

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
But you have to include 4k upscaling which I doubt does much if anything, from my experience upscaling offers nothing, and 3D, which is what it is. *smile*

I agree about 4K upscaling, a pointless feature on Blu-Rays players and on A/V receivers, since the upscaling in a good 4K television is likely to be at least as good as upscaling earlier in the chain!

(Do you like my selective quoting, by the way?? *smile*)
Very good mate. *smile*

buzz_lightclick

gel said:
Like others have mentioned though I don't think in terms of picture there will be any difference between the 103 and 105d, and also the Pioneer 450 the same. But I believe the perceived difference between the Marantz 7007 and the Panasonic could be there. The Oppo 103 was correct because it is the same as the Pioneer 450 so I agree there. But I am comfused with Oppo being the same, this should surely get a mention WHF? People like me spend good money on Blu-Ray players, there needs to be more input on the similarities between certain brands, for example most Pioneer's the same like 71 and the 91. If you compare them to other brands I have favourites too, but in reality small and if any.

As I said on your other thread, the main difference between the Pioneer 71 and 91 is the superior DACs in the 91 used for analogue audio. If you're not going to hook up some analogue cables between your receiver and blu ray player there was not much point in buying the 91.

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
WHF says that for CD playing the 105D only equal to Marantz CD6005 which cost GBP 350.00, any other reviews on this? I must forget my plan of replacing my Oled 8200CD & S790 with 105D if this is the case.

You should demo and compare yourself to decide its CD playing abilities. If you read more reviews, you'll find varying remarks about CD playback.

For example, Sound Vision review says this:

"Had I made a pure CD player in the same price range and a bit upwards, I would be nervous – Oppo BDP-105D certainly sounds compelling with music. Sure, you can find CD players that sound better, but probably not at this price. And it can play all discs and can handle both two- and multi-channel, even a HDCD filter is built in. Considering all the things the Oppo 105D can do picture-wise in addition, it is simply brilliant value for the money.

I have heard many significantly more expensive CD players that gets beaten by the Oppo 105. You get a sound with the calm, the detail and the super quiet background that I really only expect from dedicated CD players of high class."

http://www.soundvisionreview.com/hi-fi-home-theater/blu-ray/oppo-bdp-105d-review/

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
You should demo and compare yourself to decide its CD playing abilities. If you read more reviews, you'll find varying remarks about CD playback.

For example, Sound Vision review says this:

"Had I made a pure CD player in the same price range and a bit upwards, I would be nervous – Oppo BDP-105D certainly sounds compelling with music. Sure, you can find CD players that sound better, but probably not at this price. And it can play all discs and can handle both two- and multi-channel, even a HDCD filter is built in. Considering all the things the Oppo 105D can do picture-wise in addition, it is simply brilliant value for the money.

I have heard many significantly more expensive CD players that gets beaten by the Oppo 105. You get a sound with the calm, the detail and the super quiet background that I really only expect from dedicated CD players of high class."

http://www.soundvisionreview.com/hi-fi-home-theater/blu-ray/oppo-bdp-105...
Thank you, Bigboss!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Might be an idea to wait for the new LX88 Player from Pioneer before buying anything

It could well be the best 2 channel performer of all the Universal players, if it is it will be an outstanding blu ray player as well

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Hello,

We used our main AV reference system of Panasonic PT-AT6000E projector, Yamaha RX-A3030 amplifier and a 7.1 Monitor Audio PL300 package. For stereo use we switched to Bryston's BP26A preamp and ATC SCM 50 speakers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've used the BDP105 as a stereo source into a Chord Electronics pre/power driving KEF Blades, and it didn't shame itself one bit. The fact that unlike most other players, it can play stereo and mulit-channel SACD, stereo and multi-channel DVD-A, HDCD, music via USB, music via streaming, music via YouTube, plug it into an AV system as well as a separate hi-fi system at the same time, use it as a pre-amp, use as a Netflix and BBC iPlayer source, as well as plugging in external digital sources to use its onboard DAC really does distance this machine from the average CD player.

Oh, and it's upgradable to be able to play Blurays from anywhere :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
buzz_lightclick said:
As I said on your other thread, the main difference between the Pioneer 71 and 91 is the superior DACs in the 91 used for analogue audio. If you're not going to hook up some analogue cables between your receiver and blu ray player there was not much point in buying the 91.

Echoing what I think that bigboss and I have said to gel. In fact this sounds almost exactly like the main difference between the Oppo 103 and 105 - if you don't use analogue outputs, either stereo or 7.1 multichannel, the cheaper 103 will be just as good.

D

Deleted member 2457

David@FrankHarvey said:
To be fair, the build quality of the LX91 is stunning.
Yep, it is a beast at 14kg. The sound must be amazing too.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

Oh? I thought that you would KNOW what the sound of the LX91 was, before you sell it???
I might do, Yep, but at the moment I need the money for Xmas presents, so I am not sure whether I will get chance. I could always have two Blu-Ray players though I guess, I will have to see.

buzz_lightclick

gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

Oh? I thought that you would KNOW what the sound of the LX91 was, before you sell it???
I might do, Yep, but at the moment I need the money for Xmas presents, so I am not sure whether I will get chance. I could always have two Blu-Ray players though I guess, I will have to see.

You could always sell your 71, and keep the superior 91? Might give you a chance to try out the analogue audio on it too. *smile*

buzz_lightclick said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

You could always sell your 71, and keep the superior 91? Might give you a chance to try out the analogue audio on it too. *smile*

But he won't get £500 for his LX71, and gel has already indicated that he's short of cash.

buzz_lightclick

bigboss said:
buzz_lightclick said:
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

But he won't get £500 for his LX71, and gel has already indicated that he's short of cash.

True - though every time Gel complains about being short of money he quickly buys some more random AV gear to demo at home for a short while before he decides to sell it again?

TRENDING THREADS