Where would you put the hifi?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I would have thought one of the other two reception rooms made sense - i.e. one for hifi, one for tv, then the big, bright, open room for cooking/dining/friends round etc - maybe with a squeezebox type thing and small-ish tv.

Seems a shame to fill up that room with all the hifi/tv boxes. Given women often seem to have more taste on these things than men, I suspect your missus will point this out.

What would the other two receptions be used for if you went ahead with your plan.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My 'vote' would be the sitting room (as it is called on the plan you posted)

It's furthest from the noise and 'hubbub' of the kitchen/family room.

Whereas in the Kitchen/family room, if your wife wants the radio on (or TV) whilst cooking, then there might be problems because you want your hifi on at the same time or you will have the kids running around.

Even if you agree she cannot have the radio or TV on whilst cooking (and manage to ban the kids) you will still have all the noises that go with cooking (except by now you might be cooking on your own).

Even boiling a kettle will momentarily ruin a good track let alone vegetable chopping and muttered death threats from wife and the distant, muted crying of the kids locked in their rooms.

Joe10155

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Another aspect to think about (sorry, it's my job) is if you block off that door with the HT/hifi gear and (god forbid) a fire starts in the kitchen, can you and your family get far enough away in the back garden or preferably out of the back garden to be safe? As it appears that the door between the kitchen & dining room would then be the only escape route.

Just something to think about; but not to have nightmares about.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Seems that the house's abundance of les salons presents the opportunity for a 'man room'...
emotion-2.gif

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Looks like a nice place Joel lets hope you get it.

I'm with Chebby on this one, the sitting room looks an ideal candidate. There have been some important points that have come up for safety reasons and otherwise.
There is a lot going on in the space with the kitchen being adjacent and i must say it looks very clean and respectable in the pictures but jeez don't they cook a sausage on a sunday morning! There is some areas above the ceiling line were the Velux are on the right which could give you some echo also i see a small log or coal burner in the ceiling space. The place has some character alright but sonically could give you some problems.

The sitting room looks good a nice space and a good size with a fireplace. How nice would that be in the depths of winter with a few logs burning listening to some music!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
assuming that the square room doesn't give you any room mode problems with the bass, which no amount of curtains would cure, i think it's the best room sizewise. i would definitely look at changing the glass door behind the right speaker position for a wooden one, otherwise you'll have one speaker having it's bass output reflected back from the rear wall and one where a lot of it will pass through the glass, which might make it sound as if the bass is coming from one side.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think the Sitting Room is too small, and besides it's a bit antisocial to have it there. Plus if I want to listen to music when others are watching TV then I can decamp to the dining room.

Furthermore, I also want to watch movies through the speakers (kind of)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:I think the Sitting Room is too small, and besides it's a bit antisocial to have it there. Plus if I want to listen to music when others are watching TV then I can decamp to the dining room.
Furthermore, I also want to watch movies through the speakers (kind of)

12' x 12' (including the bay) looks fine. it will allow a good 8' seperation between speakers (and they will still be well away from corners) with at least 8' to 10' listening distance, depending on how deep the chairs are, how far from the wall your speakers are, and whether or not you use the bay for the chair(s) or the hifi.

From that distance you would only need a 32" screen (on the wall to maintain space) for movies. In fact you could probably get away with a 26" screen. (Samsung do an excellent 26" LCD).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:You might have to use a small quality standmount, if you happen to have one lying around...

...or blokes from Neat just popping around with ones that are taking up too much space in their garage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts