Where to go from here......?

kessen

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
OK, so I have a not very well thought out system at the moment that I would really like to take some steps to sort out/improve.

Pioneer A400X amp (picked up cheap from ebay ages ago)

Tannoy Mercury F4 Floorstanders (Bought before the customs were released) Bi-wired with Cambridge audio Symphony 400 cables

NAD C520 CD player

Cambridge Audio Pacific interconnect.

While the system has got a some lovely deep bass at times. Its not very forgiving with low quality recordings. I was hoping it was going to match up to an A400/Pioneer PD-S*** Mission 733 combination I heard that my freind had. I never felt that the bottom end ever felt as open and deep as this combination. I was thinking of upgrading the amp as a start. To either an Arcam Alpha 9/10 A65+ or a Cyrus 7 with PSX-R and Power amp to follow. My other choice would be something like a new Yamaha AS500. I imagine I have got a long way to go to get a half decent system. But I was wondering if this would be a good starting point. Or should I really be looking at upgrading the speakers? Not sure I have the budget for that at the moment, but I can keep a hold of my money until I have, rather than splashing out on an amp. I have a budget or around £200 for an amp at the moment. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I'd hang on to your money for now, save a bit more for speakers.

It will make a bigger difference, than changing one mid range amp for another.

kessen said:
OK, so I have a not very well thought out system at the moment that I would really like to take some steps to sort out/improve.

Pioneer A400X amp (picked up cheap from ebay ages ago)

Tannoy Mercury F4 Floorstanders (Bought before the customs were released) Bi-wired with Cambridge audio Symphony 400 cables

NAD C520 CD player

Cambridge Audio Pacific interconnect.

While the system has got a some lovely deep bass at times. Its not very forgiving with low quality recordings. I was hoping it was going to match up to an A400/Pioneer PD-S*** Mission 733 combination I heard that my freind had. I never felt that the bottom end ever felt as open and deep as this combination. I was thinking of upgrading the amp as a start. To either an Arcam Alpha 9/10 A65+ or a Cyrus 7 with PSX-R and Power amp to follow. My other choice would be something like a new Yamaha AS500. I imagine I have got a long way to go to get a half decent system. But I was wondering if this would be a good starting point. Or should I really be looking at upgrading the speakers? Not sure I have the budget for that at the moment, but I can keep a hold of my money until I have, rather than splashing out on an amp. I have a budget or around £200 for an amp at the moment. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Save your money for now and try single wiring the speakers - this may yield a bit more solidity. Also try experimenting with speaker positions.

jjbomber

kessen said:
I was hoping it was going to match up to an A400/Pioneer PD-S*** Mission 733 combination I heard that my freind had. I never felt that the bottom end ever felt as open and deep as this combination.

Just buy the same system second hand on ebay or elsewhere. You know you will love the sound.

kessen

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated! What do people think to some mission mx3's or 5s or some mordant short avianos 6's. Another suggestion I've had is some second hand MA RX6's

kessen said:
Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated! What do people think to some mission mx3's or 5s or some mordant short avianos 6's. Another suggestion I've had is some second hand MA RX6's

Avoid Monitor Audio Silver range with Pioneer. Love MAs and have owned a Pioneer amp for 17 years (not the 400). But IMHO never the twain... I'd be looking, instead, at Wharfedales which work beautifully with Pioneer. Ideal model IMO is the *new* Dentons, assuming a standmount is your thing. (Don't be put off by the review, it's all about system synergy, not star ratings)

As regards Missions, I've not heard any for years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts