Where to buy Nagaoka Cartridges

leftfield

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
I know there is a lot of love on here for the Nagaoka cartridges and having realised the Denon DL160 I have is not for me I looking to try the Nagaoka route.

Website searches bring up a number of sellers abroad, particularly Japan, and I'm wondering if anyone has purchased from any of these sellers and could recommend?

thanks.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Japan is the cheapest place to buy them, but if you do buy from Japan, there's a good chance you'll get hit with the duty, so the bargain won't be quite as good.

If you just want 110, try Divine Audio.

I might tend to agree with Bigbernard but when I purchased my Zyx, through eBay and with a reputable Japanese seller, I was lucky.

Depending on the actual cost saving you can get then even with shipping and the dread 'duty' you may still find it cheaper than purchasing at home. This can obviously be the way to go if you are considering some of their higher priced offerings but could be a mistake if heading for the cheaper end.

Can I just add if you want an upgrade from the 160 then do look at the DL-103R (note this is lowish output MC type but it is a bit of a giant killer).

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
It's an MP-200, and like Al says, for the models lower down the range buying in Japan doesn't necessarily offer any savings when HMRC get involved.

I am considering buying the MP-500, but I think I will still buy from a UK business. It might cost a few quid more, but it arrives promptly and dealing with any issues arising is much easier.

Wuss

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi, This is my first post as I'm new here. I bought an MP-500 from Japan last year and saved about half the purchase price over buying in the UK even after import duties etc. Only down side is lack of warranty. In the end I suppose you pays our money etc.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

You have to ask the question, why is it that a Nagaoka MP500 cost over £500 in this country and less than half that in Japan?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
You have to ask the question, why is it that a Nagaoka MP500 cost over £500 in this country and less than half that in Japan?

Rip-off Britain. It's the same for stuff from the USA: the dollar price translates as the sterling price. Disgusting.

Jim-W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Rip-off Britain. It's the same for stuff from the USA: the dollar price translates as the sterling price. Disgusting.

Yep. Begs to question why more people don't buy direct from Japan especially for small items like cartridges. These are less likely to reach the attention of those applying import duty than larger items but even if you do get landed with that duty it still works out cheaper than buying from a dealer in the UK.

Wuss

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
stevebrock said:
my MP200 ended up costing me £180 from Japan with import duty - bargain, that was over a year ago though

I think I paid £270 for my MP500. Just about to buy a spare JP-P500 stylus for £159 plus shipping (which wont be much).

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Wuss said:
stevebrock said:
my MP200 ended up costing me £180 from Japan with import duty - bargain, that was over a year ago though

I think I paid £270 for my MP500. Just about to buy a spare JP-P500 stylus for £159 plus shipping (which wont be much).

Hmmm, that's a bargain. Where are you getting it from?

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Wuss said:
PM me please I don't want to get into trouble with the mods

Wait is PM a feature on this forum?

I have no idea how forum members are supposed to establish contact outside the forum, without splashing their contact details all over the thread!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The MP500 is officially £559 and the MP300 £489, according to the European distributor's price list (who we would get them from).

To ship from Japan via the company mentioned would be £411, and you then risk duty, and it also depends on the exchange rate according to Paypal. I could do an MP500 for £460 with no risk to the end user. Based on the trade price, I couldn't do any less than that.

Distributors for different zones will have been put in place to serve their zone - whether he's "officially" selling into the UK I don't know. Not knocking him or anything, that's just the worldwide web for you I suppose.

If that's the going rate from Japan it's very expensive.

I would look for about half to two thirds current UK retail price.

Pehaps I might suggest rather than the Nag you might like to consider the Zyx RS-30-02H high output (0.48v) instead. This is available for a very cheap £320.

Wuss

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
That's who I was planning to buy from, but unfortunately (more for him than me, I confess) he's been in hospital for some time, so is unable to work at the moment.

[/qutote]

Check the site. He is back and well.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I was obviously seeing a cached version, as I was still seeing the warning this afternoon.

But dammit, the prices for cartridges have literally doubled over the past month. Now almost the same as UK prices. No point ordering from Japan any more.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
But dammit, the prices for cartridges have literally doubled over the past month. Now almost the same as UK prices. No point ordering from Japan any more.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case, but I'll get my wife to check now.

Wuss

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
We've just looked, at there has indeed been a massive price hike of the Japanese prices.

The prices I can get them for now is:

MP500 = 442 compared to 231 before

MP300 = 330 compared to 185 before

MP200 = 221 compared to 116 before

The manufacturers have released a press statement, saying that the price of the raw materials has increased so much, and this along with the comparatively small amount sold, means that they have had to increase their prices.

Apparently Audio Technica will be following suit very soon,

Prices for stylus seems to be still compeditive I think? Yes? No?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Wuss said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
We've just looked, at there has indeed been a massive price hike of the Japanese prices.

The manufacturers have released a press statement, saying that the price of the raw materials has increased so much, and this along with the comparatively small amount sold, means that they have had to increase their prices.

Prices for stylus seems to be still compeditive I think? Yes? No?

Up a bit by the looks of it.

Was 124, now 153.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

We've just looked, and there has indeed been a massive price hike of the Japanese prices.

TRENDING THREADS