Where to after AVR600?

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Looking to upgrade from my AVR600, just wondered where to go next, I have a budget of around £6K more or less, should I go Pre & Power or all-in-one? Powering B&W 803s Fronts and B&W 805s rears.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
there aren't many avenues open after that. An Arcam AV888/P777 or something from Anthem are the logical things to consider.

Can I ask where you feel the AVR600 is letting you down? And how long have you had it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Iain

I have an Arcam 600 that I love, and the only thing I would swop it for is the AV888/P777, as suggested by Big Aura...but I think the 600 gets a long way towards the pre/pro.

IMO You can maximize the performance with good S/Cs (eg. Atlas or Telurium Q), a decent mains cable, good isolation (Black Ravioli), and bi-amping the front L&R - might be worth considering if you haven't already done so.

If you are generally happy with the AV performance, but want to improve two channel, you can do what I did, and use the Pre-Outs into a decent Stereo amp.

Be very careful you don't change for the sake of it and end up with something that pleases initially, but fatigues in the long term.

The Anthem stuff is great, but ultimately I find Arcam more musical, which for me is the most important thing.

Hope you find your answer

Cno

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi Cno,

My AVR600 has been fine for a year or so, it went in for repair about 1 month ago I used the situation to get the 3d upgrade board.

The amp came back and whilst they had fixed the fan issue I had been having the power switch broke, I later found out that the Arcam rep had mentioned that they were having problems with it so why they sent it back to me is a mystery when they knew there was a problem.

They then sent me a brand new one (which obviously it wasnt) unfortunately that one didnt have the new 3d board, so they have now sent me a new one so I will see how it goes.

Generally I have been happy with the sound of the Arcam, its just the little things like the popping through the speakers, handshake issues and the amp freezing occasionally that let it down.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Ii returned my Arcam AVR 500 due to the same issues you had with your 600. They do sound amazing. If I were in your position I would consider the following: keep the the 600 and get a Paragdim Sub 15 subwoofer which will improve the entire system or if you have had enough of the Arcam consider an Anthem MRX 300 as a pre/pro and add an ARCAM P777 power amp. The ARC room EQ on the Anthwm is incredible and transformed my system for the better. Night and day difference.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ric71 said:
Ii returned my Arcam AVR 500 due to the same issues you had with your 600. They do sound amazing. If I were in your position I would consider the following: keep the the 600 and get a Paragdim Sub 15 subwoofer which will improve the entire system or if you have had enough of the Arcam consider an Anthem MRX 300 as a pre/pro and add an ARCAM P777 power amp. The ARC room EQ on the Anthwm is incredible and transformed my system for the better. Night and day difference.

Ric beat me to it.....get the best of both worlds ie. The processing and EQ of the Anthem, and the musicality of the Arcam. The P777 is an awesome power amp.

iainl2005 said:
Looking to upgrade from my AVR600, just wondered where to go next, I have a budget of around £6K more or less, should I go Pre & Power or all-in-one? Powering B&W 803s Fronts and B&W 805s rears.

Hi iainl2005

Audiolab's new 8200AP AV processor is worth a look. The 8200AP is a simple design but with an excellent level of all round performance. Well worth the wait :) Add five 8200MB's to the 8200AP and you should find a worthwhile upgrade in quality/quantity of power and overall performance.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Ric beat me to it.....get the best of both worlds ie. The processing and EQ of the Anthem, and the musicality of the Arcam. The P777 is an awesome power amp.

Careful though, as to some extent, you'll still be limited by the musicality of the MRX300. Regardless of the quality taken into account, that quality can only be as good as the the weakest component in that are allows, if you get my drift :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
CnoEvil said:

Careful though, as to some extent, you'll still be limited by the musicality of the MRX300. Regardless of the quality taken into account, that quality can only be as good as the the weakest component in that are allows, if you get my drift :)

You are absolutely right.....one should go as far up the Anthem tree as funds allow (the AVM 50V would be nice!).

I had forgotten the MRX-300 was at the bottom of the range.....the MRX-700 would certainly be more suitable.....though I was assuming nothing would be bought without a demo. The principal of Anthem + P777, was what I was trying to support.

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
David, I have the Anthem MRX700, and was given to understand (by the dealer) when I bought it that the processing is pretty much identical for the MRX300 and the MRX700, just that the 700 is a somewhat more powerful beast than the 300.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
hunnyy said:
David, I have the Anthem MRX700, and was given to understand (by the dealer) when I bought it that the processing is pretty much identical for the MRX300 and the MRX700, just that the 700 is a somewhat more powerful beast than the 300.

David is well able to answer for himself, but I would expect the Pre-amp to be better in the MRX-700, even if the processing is the same. Nick from the Home Cinema Centre would know for definite, as he sells them.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
The pre amp stage in the MRX 300 is identical to that of the 700. The only difference is USB/Internet radio, more power and a torridial power supply. As a pre/pro they are identical.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ric71 said:
The pre amp stage in the MRX 300 is identical to that of the 700. The only difference is USB/Internet radio, more power and a torridial power supply. As a pre/pro they are identical.

Cheers Ric for the clarification.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
A pleasure Cno.FWIW i am not commenting on stereo performance as I only listen in multichannel but IMHO the processing/DSP and room EQ including SQ is better than my old Lexicon DC2 and ARCAM AVR 500. The amp stage is pretty good but obviously not as smooth or powerful as the Arcam. Having heard the MRX 300 used as a pre/pro hooked up to an Anthem Statement A5 amp it sounded better than most I have ever heard.

The game changer with the Anthem is ARC room EQ. Anthem pre/pro's start at over £6k and top line is £8k. With ever changing DSP for £1100 the MRX 300 is a bargain and has been stripped down for those that don't require all the frills. In my room the 300 is the best I have owned regardless of £. Add a stonkingly good power amp and you are good to go.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ric71 said:
A pleasure Cno.FWIW i am not commenting on stereo performance as I only listen in multichannel but IMHO the processing/DSP and room EQ including SQ is better than my old Lexicon DC2 and ARCAM AVR 500. The amp stage is pretty good but obviously not as smooth or powerful as the Arcam. Having heard the MRX 300 used as a pre/pro hooked up to an Anthem Statement A5 amp it sounded better than most I have ever heard.

The game changer with the Anthem is ARC room EQ. Anthem pre/pro's start at over £6k and top line is £8k. With ever changing DSP for £1100 the MRX 300 is a bargain and has been stripped down for those that don't require all the frills. In my room the 300 is the best I have owned regardless of £. Add a stonkingly good power amp and you are good to go.

This should be of great interest to the OP if he heads in this direction. I have only heard the Statement pre/pro stuff and the D2V with Linn Power amps, and that was very impressive.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Many people across the pond are using the MRX 300 for this very purpose including adding P777 amps. The D2V is awesome as is the AVM 50 but they cost a fortune and you have to have a mega £ high end system and deep pockets to warrant them IMO. I have spoken to Anthem and they have told me that the ARC EQ in the MRX range is very very close to the resolution in the D2V.

These are just my views and my room has really benifitted from the EQ to a spectacular level that has transformed it. I would not hesitate in bolting on a P777 if funds allowed and my speakers justified it!O

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Well I had a listen to the Primare and it was very impressive, clean and nuetral sound reminded me a lot of classé. I will now try and get an audition of Anthem to compare, to be honest though I think the Primare will be hard to beat. All I need to do now is sell my AVR600.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
iainl2005 said:

Hi iainl2005

Audiolab's new 8200AP AV processor is worth a look. The 8200AP is a simple design but with an excellent level of all round performance. Well worth the wait :) Add five 8200MB's to the 8200AP and you should find a worthwhile upgrade in quality/quantity of power and overall performance.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
I like the sound of this setup as Im thinking of going down the audiolab route for hifi and would easy to intergrate this kind of combo although with the 8200M instead of the MB

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
hunnyy said:

David is well able to answer for himself, but I would expect the Pre-amp to be better in the MRX-700, even if the processing is the same. Nick from the Home Cinema Centre would know for definite, as he sells them.

It has been a while since I posted but thanks for thinking of me! As has been posted the pre stage is the same. To echo David's view though I am not convinced the pre-amp in the 300 would eclipse the AVR600. With a difficult room the Anthem EQ with a good power amp would deliver better results for AV no do doubt but for stereo the call would be closer. The Audiolab is a good call but again I am not 100% convinced it is a large step.

The D2V or the AV888 is the obvious step but Classe is also a consideration. Personally I would move on the PV1 and get a much higher specified subwoofer and a power amp for the 600.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
The D2V or the AV888 is the obvious step but Classe is also a consideration. Personally I would move on the PV1 and get a much higher specified subwoofer and a power amp for the 600.

Agreed.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I can certainly vouch for Anthem, the D2v is the best sounding piece of kit that I have ever owned, and the ARC EQ system is truly breath taking in the way it tunes your surround system - it would certainly bring out the best of the OP's 800 series speakers.

I was very lucky in managing to pick up my D2v second hand, only a few months old, for considerably less than the retail price, so scanning the classified is always worthwhile - especially given that most D2v's end up in high end custom installs - so any second hand items are likely to be in mint condition (they've been in and out of a dedicated rack usually only once in their life) with very few miles on their clock.

Thats said, there are some very good retailers out there who offer some great deals, occasionally with the option of trade ins for your older kit.

I can thoroughly recommend Nick from the Home Cinema Centre who has posted above - contact him off thread and I'm sure he will be able to help you out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts