Where next?

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Yep - I've definitely got the upgrade bug. Just ordered a 2nd hand Chord Chameleon Silver Plus interconnect off ebay (not VEE plugs, but £30 offer accepted so would have been rude not to) to compare against my existing Chord Crimon (with VEE). To be honest I'm very happy with the sound of my system now with the real breakthrough being upgrading the DAC from Arcam RDAC to REGA DAC - I can't resist tinkering though and if there is a bit more soundsstage out there, a bit more zing to instruments then I'm interested - I suppose it comes down to knowing you've tried rnough combo's to know you've got as much as you can out of your kit. Living in a semi detached I would be cautious of adding more bass.

So the plan was to wait for the interconnects to be delivered and see what that does to the sound. I consistently read this interconnect works well with Rumour and Odyssey speaker cable but now I'm tempted to get some Odyssey 2 cable too, spend a few weeks testing for best combos and ebay whatever doesn't make the grade once conclusions are drawn.

Do you think Odyssey 2 is a worthwhile next purchase to throw in the mix? If so how cheap should I be looking per metre(anyone recommend good place to get from?)? Had a quick look online and looks like approx £20 a metre is as cheap as it comes?

:dance:

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
SEveral Rumour users have switched to Van Damme Blue or OFC which are cheaper but they find better than Rumour.

Thanks for the tip - I've ordered some Odyssey without seeing this, will give it a go and see where we go from there :) Ended up buying from this link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chord-Odyssey-2-speaker-cable-made-to-measure-to-your-requirements-/110798064347?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item19cc144adb

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
TBH, BP, if you're now happy with the overall sound just sit back and enjoy the music. Above all else that's the most important thing. :)

Yep I am PP - thanks for the help in getting me to this point :cheers: Just having a little tinker with cables. Once the Odyssey and Chameleon Silver Plus arrive I'm planning on just doing some comparison testing and then putting back on E-Bay what doesn't make the grade - that will then probably be that for a while!

That said I've started doing the ground work for a turntable this xmas :)

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Gusboll said:
I acquired a pair of Chord Chameleon Silver Plus cables and it took me on a bit of a journey to where I am now..... but for £30 you have a bargain!

Thanks Gusboll - originally wanted the VEE plug Chord Chameleon but for £30 couldn't say no. Odyssey is turning up Wednesday, Hoping the interconnect will do similar.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you run them in for a good while and then try and do some blind tests. Some have thought the new cables were better but then switched back to the old ones and could not tell the difference.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Will do BigH - at £150 for the Ody I'm hoping for a difference but worst case it's a relatively expensive experiment :grin:. I skimped a bit too much when buy the Rumour 2 anyway so while the cables reach its all a bit tight so ordered bit of slack this time round.

Interestingly my floor in the dining room is bare floorboards (varnished) - been looking for a large rug for some time and finally getting one delivered tomorrow 2m x 3m - the speakers will still sit on spikes direct into the floorboards but can I expect any difference in sound as a result of a probably 40% of the room being covered by a rug?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts