Where has my lovely sound gone???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
gbhsi1:The carpet is **** pile- so without the granite the speaker is no stable at all- too much rocking.

I think for forum purposes we should rename the carpet as "Guillemot pile"... Well, the profanity filter seems to be working JD!

A

Anonymous

bass can often be the biggest problem to solve,moving the speakers around in the room can have a big affect on the bass output,the extra thick carpet may be partly responsible but i suggest experimenting with speaker positioning first,have you placed the speakers in a different position?,even small changes can make a big difference to the bass and the overall tonal aspect and the way it reacts with the room,if you have the speakers slightly closer to a rear or side wall this can thicken the bass and by altering the toe in of the speakers you can affect the tonal balance,it would be worth experimenting with these before buying new speakers.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Alantiggger:
Frank, why not just simply cut a slit in the carpet for each of the speakers so that your spikes once again connect with the origional flooring which as you say you were happy with ?

Glad to be of help man :)

Oh i bet mrs gb would be over the moon with that nugget. Good grief
emotion-7.gif

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
pommie steve:
bass can often be the biggest problem to solve,moving the speakers around in the room can have a big affect on the bass output,the extra thick carpet may be partly responsible but i suggest experimenting with speaker positioning first,have you placed the speakers in a different position?,even small changes can make a big difference to the bass and the overall tonal aspect and the way it reacts with the room,if you have the speakers slightly closer to a rear or side wall this can thicken the bass and by altering the toe in of the speakers you can affect the tonal balance,it would be worth experimenting with these before buying new speakers.
Unfortunately I am not able to move the speakers positions about much as I live in a flat and it is not that big, the speakers are already very close to th wall but there a bay window behind my speakers- do you think that has a lot to do with the issue perhaps? Also the speakers would look so much better if they could be spiked through the carpet and balanced on the concrete floor. What a dilemma....

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Alantiggger:
Frank, why not just simply cut a slit in the carpet for each of the speakers so that your spikes once again connect with the origional flooring which as you say you were happy with ?

Glad to be of help man :)

Possibly an option, as a last resort without the OH looking though :)

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
pommie steve:
Good news guys, the granites are now solid, I moved the speakers as far apart as I can and toed them in a bit. I'm using spikes on spike booties and the sound is back. Thanks for all your suggestions, much appreciated :)

TRENDING THREADS