Where can I get hold of PMC FB1+ or similar?

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi people, Im looking to upgrade my speakers. I have a medium sized room (4x7m) and speakers cannot be more than 50cm from walls. I currently have standmounts but I'd like to achieve a full range sound. So floorstanders would be good solution, I know i can get good standmounts and a sub, but thats for another thread.
So I've just heard of the PMC FB1 and FB1+ and FB1i, not sure of all the differences, but they sound good on paper, and I've always fancied some PMC's. So for this threads sake I think I have a budget of £1000 and I'm guessing would be best to look for a quality pair of second hand speakers. Searching for these on the net tho hasnt brought about many purchase options.
Where should I be looking online for a set of speakers like this? Any particular shops I should get in touch with? I've tried g**tree and *bay but nothing that ticks the boxes there. Any other quality second hand floorstanders I could look at? (remembering I'm after a full sound, so I'm guessing going down below 40Hz).
Thanks very much.

D

Deleted member 160668

Hi people, Im looking to upgrade my speakers. I have a medium sized room (4x7m) and speakers cannot be more than 50cm from walls. I currently have standmounts but I'd like to achieve a full range sound. So floorstanders would be good solution, I know i can get good standmounts and a sub, but thats for another thread.
So I've just heard of the PMC FB1 and FB1+ and FB1i, not sure of all the differences, but they sound good on paper, and I've always fancied some PMC's. So for this threads sake I think I have a budget of £1000 and I'm guessing would be best to look for a quality pair of second hand speakers. Searching for these on the net tho hasnt brought about many purchase options.
Where should I be looking online for a set of speakers like this? Any particular shops I should get in touch with? I've tried g**tree and *bay but nothing that ticks the boxes there. Any other quality second hand floorstanders I could look at? (remembering I'm after a full sound, so I'm guessing going down below 40Hz).
Thanks very much.
Have you heard PMC's? I ask as if you are buying blind (unheard) then you may not be sure you will like the sound, how they integrate with your room (particularly the bass) and also partner with your equipment. That said PMC's do sound very very good imo. I have had several and currently have twenty 23's.

In the FB range try to pick up the 'i' incarnation if possible which had the latest spec before they were superseded. For a budget of £1000 you could also pick up some twenty 23s, or if you wanted to push your budget could go to the larger twenty 24s.

I think there is a mint set of FB1+'s available currently on hifi wigwam. Check ebay first as the ebay price is slightly lower. You might be interested to note the seller also has a 2nd thread looking to swap for standmounts. I am in no way connected to this seller.

Good luck on your hunt and let us know what you buy.

Here's a link to the advert

Last edited by a moderator:

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Just checked out the wigwam link. They are a bargain. They look in superb nick and the buyer has reduced the price, so seems very keen to sell.
At that price I think they are worth a punt and if you don't like them would be very easy to sell on for a similar price.
I'm on my second set of PMC, my first being the OB1 and I can't rate them highly enough.
Definitely worth a look.

Reactions: Al ears

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks very much, this is brilliant. I am more of a black coloured speaker guy, as I feel they disappear from sight eassier, which will be important as they will be either side of my TV. Maybe I can colour them somehow. Theres probably services that can do that sort of thing, something for another thread. I would be tempted to look for 23s or 24s, do you think these would be a real upgrade from fb1+. Its nice that these are the + model with the soft dome tweeter. great price. I will get back to you later. Thanks very much.

Reactions: Clarkey_71
D

Deleted member 160668

Hey guys, thanks very much, this is brilliant. I am more of a black coloured speaker guy, as I feel they disappear from sight eassier, which will be important as they will be either side of my TV. Maybe I can colour them somehow. Theres probably services that can do that sort of thing, something for another thread. I would be tempted to look for 23s or 24s, do you think these would be a real upgrade from fb1+. Its nice that these are the + model with the soft dome tweeter. great price. I will get back to you later. Thanks very much.
Couple of points of note here...
It is possible to vinyl wrap speakers, see IPL Acoustics website, where he recommends a couple of builders who could do this well for you. Obvs this will add cost and you may also be able to hold out to find some in black.

23's will be slightly over budget. I paid £1,050 for mine recently and that was a good price. 24's would be more like 1500 for a good set.

However, they are both much newer than the FB+ range. The +'s were superseded by the i's and then came along the twenty range. As to spec comparisons, do some googling but the twenty range is better (although some folks do prefer the i range's sound).

For the size of room you have, 23's would fill that nicely (I have a very slightly smaller room). The FB's are large by comparison.

Plenty to think about. Mainly though whatever you buy make sure they have been well looked after.

Range order as follows: Originals, +, i, twenty, twenty5, twenty5i.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: radiorog

TRENDING THREADS