Where best to spend my money?

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I currently have a Sony STR DA1200es with Kef 3005 and a PS3 for Blu Ray. I really want to get HD audio so do you think it would be better to spend approximately £300 on the Sony BDP S760 (I know it can be got for less than that now) and use it to decode HD audio or spend the same amount on a new amp that can except the HD audio formats?

I'm thinking the blu ray player is the best bet due to the improvment in picture on the PS3 but I could always get a nice new amp now and a cheaper blu ray player in a few months or so.

What do people think?

A

Anonymous

Both options are available to extract HD audio - my personal opinion however, based on tests I have carried out myself, is for the amp to handle the decoding of HD audio as oppossed to the blu-ray player.

I have found that the amp does a better job at this, seeing that it was built specifically for this task.

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
ValianTX:

Both options are available to extract HD audio - my personal opinion however, based on tests I have carried out myself, is for the amp to handle the decoding of HD audio as oppossed to the blu-ray player.

I have found that the amp does a better job at this, seeing that it was built specifically for this task.

That's interesting to hear you've done a comparison, I do fancy a new amp (don't fancy sorting out all the wiring) but was wondering if I would get a better overall result including picture by going for the new blu ray player.

I've got a 42" Samsung HD ready plasma at the moment but want a projector before the world cup so will get the benefits more then.

A

Anonymous

bballtom:ValianTX:

That's interesting to hear you've done a comparison, I do fancy a new amp (don't fancy sorting out all the wiring) but was wondering if I would get a better overall result including picture by going for the new blu ray player.

I've got a 42" Samsung HD ready plasma at the moment but want a projector before the world cup so will get the benefits more then.

1. Yes, I do a lot of tests myself - blu-ray players, hi-fi, cables, interconnects - it's a hobby of mine, so I am familiar with most brands.

2. The thing with upgrades are that it's contagious - as soon as you've upgraded one component, you're thinking about the other, it never ends.

You've got to decide what you want to do.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I was faced with a similar problem, when I upgraded to Blueray. I bought a Panasonic with on board decoding and kept my Yamaha amp. I used 5.1 analogue connects to the 5.1 input on the amp with very good results.

If you are happy with the amp, stick with it. Upgrading is all very well but it can get very expensive for a very small improvement

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
chudleighpaul:
I was faced with a similar problem, when I upgraded to Blueray. I bought a Panasonic with on board decoding and kept my Yamaha amp. I used 5.1 analogue connects to the 5.1 input on the amp with very good results.

If you are happy with the amp, stick with it. Upgrading is all very well but it can get very expensive for a very small improvement

That is why I thought to ask, would imagine there are quite a few people out there who have faced a similar problem.

New blu ray player it is then, the only slight problem being is that I've run out of HDMI's on the amp!

lee37

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
personally i would get a new amp and wait for the new sony blu ray that are due out in may / june and with each model they usually improve the quality slightly

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts