Where are all the moderators

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
If any......because if one is being employed it clearly isn't fit for purpose.
I think whatever spam we find are the ones that have escaped the filters. There definitely is a spam filter. Without it, it'll be a nightmare to manage. I can tell you that because on the previous platform, I used to regularly delete 100+ spam threads on an almost daily basis! We had an email group of mods including Andy Clough, John Duncan, Simon Lucas etc. + some members. As soon as anyone spotted lot of spam, we used to email the group and few of us together used to weed them out. And the process wasn't as simple as it now is.

Reactions: Al ears

SHaines

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 26, 2019
Visit site
So much spam trash in most sections

Hey there,

Forums are a fantastic tool for discussions. Because they are great at being a place for folks to congregate and have discussions (while also being completely free) they are an ideal target for spammers.

The good news is, we have very strong spam protection, but no automated protection can eliminate all spam. We certainly could make this a 100% spam-free zone, if we restricted access substantially, but we won't be doing that.

We want the forums to be a place for discussions between passionate people with shared interests, which means we will see spam come and go. We have our volunteer Moderators dedicating their own time to helping remove the posts, plus we have our team of Community Managers who remove spam posts, work with Moderators on areas of concern, plus we have tools in the Admin panel for the forums to add links for phrases that spammers use. If they get something through once, we can make it so it never makes it past the filter again.

If there was a lot of spam recently, I'll dig into the deleted posts and find what keywords can be blocked to avoid further issues with these specific folks.

When spam happens, please keep the reports coming in. The forums are open 24/7/365, so there may be some days where spam is visible for a little while, but the moment a Moderator or CM sees it, we will get it removed.

Thanks for your patience as we work to find the best balance between open discussions and minimizing the harm of spammers.

Hey there,

Forums are a fantastic tool for discussions. Because they are great at being a place for folks to congregate and have discussions (while also being completely free) they are an ideal target for spammers.

The good news is, we have very strong spam protection, but no automated protection can eliminate all spam. We certainly could make this a 100% spam-free zone, if we restricted access substantially, but we won't be doing that.

We want the forums to be a place for discussions between passionate people with shared interests, which means we will see spam come and go. We have our volunteer Moderators dedicating their own time to helping remove the posts, plus we have our team of Community Managers who remove spam posts, work with Moderators on areas of concern, plus we have tools in the Admin panel for the forums to add links for phrases that spammers use. If they get something through once, we can make it so it never makes it past the filter again.

If there was a lot of spam recently, I'll dig into the deleted posts and find what keywords can be blocked to avoid further issues with these specific folks.

When spam happens, please keep the reports coming in. The forums are open 24/7/365, so there may be some days where spam is visible for a little while, but the moment a Moderator or CM sees it, we will get it removed.

Thanks for your patience as we work to find the best balance between open discussions and minimizing the harm of spammers.
Perhaps a filter that rejects anything resembling a telephone number in the title of the thread might help, if that's possible.

Hey there,

Have a chat with CParsons - I've been talking to him about it and some helpful changes have already been made - Al's suggestion about phone numbers is a good one.

I understood that all first posts were queued for approval before listing. Perhaps this was not the case otherwise spam like we have been seeing would not happen.
It's interesting - some in the approval queue are held back from appearing, but there was one this morning that had come through anyway (as well as sitting in the approval queue) - that one looked legitimate, so maybe it worked.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts