When will WHF review the Rega RP6??

VinylRush

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm really intrigued by the Rega RP6. I'm tempted to sell my p3 24 and buy one.

Unfortunately I can see no reviews yet.

Will WHF be reviewing it soon?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I was told by some one a few weeks ago (dealer) they were not to impresed, prefering the P5 . . . but that of course may be a personal thing on the individuals part?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
I was told by some one a few weeks ago (dealer) they were not to impresed, prefering the P5 . . .

Some excellent finishes though...

RP6-PLINTH-STACK-small.gif

(Can't decide between blue with a yellow mat or yellow with a blue mat.)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:
I was told by some one a few weeks ago (dealer) they were not to impresed, prefering the P5 . . .

Some excellent finishes though...

RP6-PLINTH-STACK-small.gif

(Can't decide between blue with a yellow mat or yellow with a blue mat.)

You know what Chebby, I agree with you on the P5 finish, the wood edge looks like Rega got hold of a 'skirting boad job lot' . . . ? I can live with the 'cherry and black' I have, but given the choice I would prefer the full size black plinths. Be that as it may, sound quality has to be first consideration . . . ?

Begs the question in my mind, how would a P3-24/700 tone arm combination sound compared to a P6 or an 'ISOsub platter/P6 glass platter' fitted to a P3-24/300 combination?

Speculation only of course, my tweaking juices rising again . . . :shhh:

CJSF

VinylRush

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
I was told by some one a few weeks ago (dealer) they were not to impresed, prefering the P5 . . . but that of course may be a personal thing on the individuals part?

Thats interesting. If the P5 sounds better I may as well just keep my green p3 24 and upgrade it. I would like the p5 but I just hate the styling of it. The cool lines of my p3 24 look amazing.

I would like a P9 but hey ho maybe one day ;)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Don't believe what dealers say. If that deck reviews well or sells well, you'll soon hear the tune changing.

I was told about the P6 when it was in its very early days of being in the shop. He certainly prefered the P5 at that time. Its sad views change according to review, makes one wonder if we still have shades of the 'good old, bad old days' hanging over our heads.

Its so simple, 'trust the ears' . . .

CJSF

Niglets

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm with lost angelos, why would it matter? It's your ears and your money. WHF gave a 3 star review of the Elicit amplifier, I like that amplifier more than they did, their review does not change my being a completely satisfied Elicit owner.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Alternatively, look at upgrading your P3 with an Inspire Hifi Quest upgrade package. (New thick plinth, veneered, acrylic platter etc)

I'm waiting for my former P3-24 to come back to me as a £1.5k-£2k beater (I hope!) as recommended on this forum.

I should have some pics and first thoughts up soon.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
VinylRush said:
Thats interesting. If the P5 sounds better I may as well just keep my green p3 24 and upgrade it. I would like the p5 but I just hate the styling of it. The cool lines of my p3 24 look amazing.

RP6 is definitely better than the P3-24 - clearer, more open and more precise - also better than the P25 but I never heard a P5.

Some of this may be the upgraded PSU, so a canny approach for you would be to upgrade the TTPSU to the latest version - it's a technical as well as a cosmetic improvement.

A

Anonymous

Waiting for my orange RP6 to arrive. Can't wait. They are discontinuing the colour - just a few left now apparently. I have been using a Manticore Mantra+RB250 for 25 years and decided to change for the sake of it. Just wanted something newer with an improvent in sound. The reason for my entry here is that the RP6 is classed as a mid range purchase, as was my Mantra all those years ago. And looking north i.e. spending any more for the amount of listening I do did not stack up. I also have great faith in Rega products. So when I went along to have a listen I was impressed with just how good the 6 was when compared with the 3. More details and subtely and very even handed, but I think you need a good midrange system to pull the best out of it. The RP3 is so accomplished that the 6 really demands some good amplification and speakers to hear it at it's best. I decided not to go with the Exact simply cos I could not quite stretch to it, so I got an offer on the Elys with which I am familiar. That way I can get a real comparison with the Mantra/Ellys combo I had. I will give an update when I have deck and run it in.

btw I bought P9 feet for my old Planar 2 - they are a definite upgrade for the price of three albums. Better bass and top end detail. No real midrange change audible in my second system.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
dwezil2 said:
The reason for my entry here is that the RP6 is classed as a mid range purchase, as was my Mantra all those years ago. And looking north i.e. spending any more for the amount of listening I do did not stack up.

Blimey, didnt it enter your head to have a listen to a Gyrodec SE then source a s/h fairly new one which you can pick up for around the same price as the Rega and will blitz it easy peasy on all fronts. Heyho each to their own. :)

henry lee

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Well it seem's like they are the only one's. I own a RP6 hav had it fot 2 month's now using ortofon 2m black cart., Graham Slee Reflex M Phono amp, Acoustic Zen 'wow" II interconnect's . A very involving and engaging listen ,bring's out the dynamic's in all music , could not be happier .(I am certain Rega know's what it :dance: :dance: is doing , my second Rega table. After all, if Rega felt it was a lesser table than the P5 they would hav called it the RP4 : ) .

)

henry lee

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
See Tone Audio's review, I own one hav had it for about 2 month's ( my second Rega tt ) and I could not be happier. Using Ortofon 2m black cart., Graham Slee Reflex M phono amp and Acoustic Zen "wow' II interconnect's .A truly dynamic and engaging listen on all type's of music , could not be happier. Make's my vinyl collecting passion that much more enjoyable a great table for the money:dance:

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The choosen cartridge will mean more, than RP3/RP5 selection. Still not sure why Rega dont conform to industry standard arm height. Also, why can't the industry adopt to Rega cartridge 3 bolts instead of 2 and a lot of adjustments?

NHL said:
The choosen cartridge will mean more, than RP3/RP5 selection. Still not sure why Rega dont conform to industry standard arm height. Also, why can't the industry adopt to Rega cartridge 3 bolts instead of 2 and a lot of adjustments?

I pretty sure there is no such thing as an industry standard for tonearm height.

And I'm jolly glad there isn't!

Oh, the 3 bolt Rega system just stops tweakers tweaking... so that will never take off!

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If budget is important, buy RP3 + Ortofon or Benz cartridge. Don't forget to get hold of a needle scale and a proper test record!

A

Anonymous

I have now had my orange (more tangerine) RP6 and Rega Elys2 for 5 days, having run the cartridge in over about 15-20 albums. I don't think that the the sound is going to change any further, so I thought a user's review was now in order. I would add this under a review section but What Hi-Fi have still not reviewed the RP6.

Firstly, the deck looks fabulous in it's bright gloss finish and the reflected light on clear lid makes the deck very alluring. Classy it most certainly is. Set up is a 5 minute job assuming you have a good TT support or table. Mine is a Quadraspire which is weighed down with pre and power amps plus a Rega Apollo CD player. I chose the silver TTPSU. The deck was all set up and tested by my local Brighton dealer (Audio-T) so it was literally plug in and play.

From the off the RP6 is in the driving seat when it comes to bass. I was not expecting bass of this depth and quality for my £800. I kept thinking that I must have turned the bass up on my Kolektor but no - virtually everything I play has great bass and the ability to deliver bass line clarity that I did not know was in the recording. The second thing that is apparent is the refinement of the very top end. Even with the mid-range Elys2 the subtely is often compelling. This extends to listening to those LPs that have always played "brightly" for want of a better word. Yet the detail still shines through, along with that lovely bass.

Another area where the deck sounds great is in the way it conveys subtely in instruments (and voice) changes - typical of this is how vibrato is conveyed so well. I have some older recordings (remastered) of Chet Baker playing trumpet (not singing thankfully) where his playing is conveyed at a different level to what I am used to hearing. Solo instruments benefit across the board from this. Add to this a convincing sound stage and some tracks sound so different that they might have been remixed. Very refreshing.

Such is the nature of the RP6 that I have been going through my record Album again, having only just played one of my test records - I just want to hear my album collection rather than playing well trodden standards that tell me how my deck compares to what I know. Well I played one of those albums just a minute ago and was blown away. Attack, scale, subtely and most of all musicality. Fab!

For me the most impressive thing is that the RP6 is playing so well with the Elys2. I suspect that all of the aforementioned facets of the deck would be magnified again with the Exact in place, or a decent MC cartridge.

So are there any negatives? The only one that I can think of, is the plastic centre pin on the platter, which protrudes up through the mat and platter from the plastic hub. If only it were aluminium? I am sure that Rega will resolve this on the RP8 when it arrives! Doh!

Well, I hope this min-review satiates What Hi Fi folks' need to read something on the deck. The RP6 is no Linn Sondek, but then just look at the price difference. It's a classy product that I am very happy with.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts