When will SKY be bring out a new SKY HD box?

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi, does anyone know if SKY will be bringing out a new Sky HD box with a bigger hard drive. The one at the moment has 300gb but only 160gb can be used for recording. It's just that I have modified my SKY+ box to 200gb and is nearly always full.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We haven't heard anything from Sky.... But don't forget that other 160GB is being filled with Sky Anytime content, including most of the key movies and TV shows - pick any of those via Anytime and they're not taking up any of your core 160GB.

I wouldn't recommend running any hard-disk recorder at near full-capacity, BTW - you're far more likely to get errors....

A

Anonymous

I have just put a 500GB drive into my sky hd box which was fairly simple I have to say.

Makes all the difference.

If you dont want to go down the HD route, you can buy an hd box already upgraded from ebay to 500GB for less than £300

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that doopydug, upgraded my Sky+ myself to 200gb, as you say it was fairly simple. What type/model of 500gb drive did you fit and how much?

A

Anonymous

And more to the point, can you upgrade the drive in a HD box? I suppose you would need to do it properly in order to prevent Anytime from erroring or whatever, by cloning the partitions off the original, then enlarging the partitions on the new larger drive.

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Well I upgraded the drive in my Sky+ box with no problems, you do a full system reset after installing it does everything
itself. Not sure about Sky HD due to Sky anytime though.

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Forgot to add I've just read an interview in Home Cinema Choice with somebody from Sky
and he said they'll be no new HD box soon, they next big thing from Sky will be a ne multiroom
offering????????????

A

Anonymous

Cant remember the model of hard drive I used as I took it out of a computer but it was my HD box that I put it in - absolutely essential extra storage when you have 3 kids and the youngest loves watching peppa pig on the HD telly

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Flower"]
And more to the point, can you upgrade the drive in a HD box? I suppose you would need to do it properly in order to prevent Anytime from erroring or whatever, by cloning the partitions off the original, then enlarging the partitions on the new larger drive.
[/quote]

You use an excellent piece of software called copy+ which was written specifically for cloning sky hard drives

brianmcr

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Thats right, copy+, as you say an excellent piece of software, guy who developed it is very helpful. I copied recorded material from the original drive that I wanted to keep onto my new 200gb drive I fitted to my Sky+ box. Worked great and still working 2 years later.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts