When MiniDisc took on the mighty cassette: What Hi-Fi? magazine, January 1993

HerrX

Jul 10, 2021
Visit site
The irony is that pre recorded cassettes are now one of the fastest growing formats and are quite collectable with black tapes and cassette players fetching increasingly crazy prices where as MiniDisks are nowhere.

Crabbydude

Aug 18, 2023
Visit site
The irony is that pre recorded cassettes are now one of the fastest growing formats and are quite collectable with black tapes and cassette players fetching increasingly crazy prices where as MiniDisks are nowhere.
Sony is/was notorious for odd but good quality products, like L cassettes, miniDisk, beta, and the list goes on

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
‘MiniDisc – which proved to be an impressive performer throughout the decade, and was only really conquered with the arrival of digital streaming.’
I do not recall streaming being contributory to MiniDisc‘s loss of popularity but rather the advent of cheap recordable blank CDs (CD-R/RW, which took away a major selling point for the MiniDisc) and digital downloads , legal or otherwise.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
‘MiniDisc – which proved to be an impressive performer throughout the decade, and was only really conquered with the arrival of digital streaming.’
I do not recall streaming being contributory to MiniDisc‘s loss of popularity but rather the advent of cheap recordable blank CDs (CD-R/RW, which took away a major selling point for the MiniDisc) and digital downloads , legal or otherwise.
I wanted a minidisc when first introduced but was put off. I was on honeymoon june93 and the hotel we stopped in had entertainment every night and one guy had his backing music on minidisc and it frequently skipped. He just said that's the problem with minidisc. Years later I ended up buying a CD recorder (which needs repairing) but just a few months ago bought a minidisc recorder from eBay and I'm slowly transferring my cassettes on to minidisc. Yep with Spotify I don't need a minidisc but I love it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts