when I bi amp where is the difference?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
hi, I have a roksan power amp which is connected to a roksan integrated at the pre amp section. The tweeters section of the speakers are connected to the integrated speaker terminals and the midrange driver is connected to the power amp terminal....but where is the extra power or difference? is it connected wrong? I should make a huge difference compared to a straight connection to the integrated right?

A

Anonymous

Passive bi-amping really doesn't achieve anything I'm afraid, I'm not surprised you're not hearing a difference.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
nawty said:
Passive bi-amping really doesn't achieve anything I'm afraid, I'm not surprised you're not hearing a difference.
so it's a waste of time really. Should I just use the power amp to power the speakers and leave the integrated for volume control? the manuals say you will achieve greater results with bi amping but I for one am not sold on that :-( disappointing

A

Anonymous

My personal opinion is that unless you think your integrated amp is underpowered in any way (which I doubt, unless you listen at serious volume) then you are much better off reducing the number of connections in your system so I would not use the power amp. Of course, your milage may vary and there is an easy test...

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
hi, I have a roksan power amp which is connected to a roksan integrated at the pre amp section. The tweeters section of the speakers are connected to the integrated speaker terminals and the midrange driver is connected to the power amp terminal....but where is the extra power or difference? is it connected wrong? I should make a huge difference compared to a straight connection to the integrated right?

dont you need two power amps to bi amp.

A

Anonymous

He has two power amps, there is one in the the integrated and then the external on, the integrated is equiped with an output to feed the power amp.

The problem is that both amps are ampllifying a full range signal and sending that to the speakers for the passive crossover to split the frequencies, just as if you were only using one amp.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
nawty said:
He has two power amps, there is one in the the integrated and then the external on, the integrated is equiped with an output to feed the power amp.

The problem is that both amps are ampllifying a full range signal and sending that to the speakers for the passive crossover to split the frequencies, just as if you were only using one amp.
Why do you think manufacturers say you will benefit from Bi-amping then?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
gbhsi1 said:
nawty said:

Why do you think manufacturers say you will benefit from Bi-amping then?
I'll just use it like I used it before....and I thought adding a power amp would make some kind of difference!

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I had the same set up as you for a while i.e. Roksan K2 integrated + K2 power used in bi-amp mode and like you noticed little or no difference. An improvement came when using the integrated as a pre-amp into the power amp. I would consider selling the integrated and getting a dedicated pre-amp.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
its a bit of a strange one why manufacturers say you can benefit, maybe they might claim they meant for active biamping.

i would run the intergrated as a pre and use the power amp only to drive your speakers.

i dont know if roksans are bridgeable into mono but running them as monoblocks certainly does make a difference, but i guess your not really in the mood to buy another right now ;)

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
IMHO, if you're bi-amping you should use so-called 'vertical' bi-amping, so that each speaker is driven by one amp. The L and R channels of the amps are used for the hi and lo frequency drivers (this requires that the speakers can be be-wired).

031998vbiamp.jpg

Horizonal bi-wiring means that one amp is driving both woofers, so it's being relatively hammered in demand for power while the amp driving the tweeters is idling.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
okay so it simply means getting another power amp - one will drive the left speaker and the other the right speaker - is it fair to say the noticeable change can be heard?

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
amcluesent said:
IMHO, if you're bi-amping you should use so-called 'vertical' bi-amping, so that each speaker is driven by one amp. The L and R channels of the amps are used for the hi and lo frequency drivers (this requires that the speakers can be be-wired).

031998vbiamp.jpg

Horizonal bi-wiring means that one amp is driving both woofers, so it's being relatively hammered in demand for power while the amp driving the tweeters is idling.

so, what is the difference between vertical bi amping and having mono-block power amps connected to speakers (other than you don't need to run double cable runs to your speakers)?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have seen a definite improvement in SQ when I was bi-amping my speakers with an AV Receiver (AV receiver tells you to which amp to connect the HF & LF)

However in other cases, using an extra power amp to bi-amp by feeding full range signal - the difference was more 'can't say for sure'

Same is the case with bi-wiring. Did not see the point though the Classe manual says "In many cases, the benefit is a subjectively improved level of clarity and detail from the speaker, as a result of being able to feed the two separate sections of its crossover and driver complement with identical, yet separate signals. "

When you do not hear it then it is not happening!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts