When exactly to stop?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I had been changing gears for the past 2 years, for some unknown reason i just had the urge to upgrade my rig. My existing rig consist of Naim 202/202, CDX2 and Spendor S6. Hifi seems to be never ending, so how do you guys know when exactly is the time to stop?

A

Anonymous

Surely the fever doesn't wear off even if you own the best gear in the whole wide world. You're brain will still seek an upgrade, even if it means worse sound!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman:
I suppose when you own NAC525/NAP500/CD555 and a pair of Amati Homage!

It's when you take up golf isn't it, Thaiman?! I've just started getting into golf myself actually...

A

Anonymous

I think the only item i did not change so far is the speaker. The previous 5i/CD5i just come and go.

A

Anonymous

I tend to take a different view and my answer is when I can't hear or see any difference. Sad I know I should be taken out the back and shot.
emotion-2.gif
or worse - forced to listen to MP3's of thrash metal played on one of those tsh! tsh! tsh! players.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

DistortedVision:
It's time to stop when get so obsessed with upgrading and modifying that you forget to just enjoy the music. That's why we are all into hi-fi in the first place isn't it?

...and when the impact of the spend to upgrade impacts you or your family negatively. Then it's time to stop.

A

Anonymous

Do you ever tire of a hobby? I guess the answer would be never, for me at least.

A

Anonymous

EvilWolf:
Do you ever tire of a hobby? I guess the answer would be never, for me at least.

Have you tried Papier Mache modelling?

A

Anonymous

DistortedVision:
It's time to stop when get so obsessed with upgrading and modifying that you forget to just enjoy the music. That's why we are all into hi-fi in the first place isn't it?

Agree with that. I spent some time like this criticising instead of just listening and appreciating that the quality of CD replay varies greatly depeding upon, label, plant, mastering, recording, etc. etc............

emotion-1.gif

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I think the time to stop upgrading is when you feel that the increases in sound quality that you're getting are disproportional to your income, if you see what I mean. But only you know where to draw the line.

Sitting at work thinking "hmm... I'll earn one twentieth of that new CD player today" is a truly demoralising experience and starts to make your work less rewarding than just getting on with your job and telling yourself "I have to do this job because I just do, OK?". Don't be a slave to money, it's too easy to fall into that trap.

Of course, if you have a family then that's a different matter, but I am fortunate enough not to have people getting in the way of my hobby. Or is it a way of life? I'm inclined towards the latter, you either "get" the allure of hi-fi or you don't.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
a.g.:I think the time to stop upgrading is when you feel that the increases in sound quality that you're getting are disproportional to your income, if you see what I mean. But only you know where to draw the line.

Wise words from AG
emotion-21.gif

The end of the day we all love music, let not forget that. I lost my way a few times trying too hard to get to Nirvana! I was listening to HiFi rather than Music and keep changing, looking for improvment. One day, Danny, my friend told me to stop! He said "your system is not bad at all you know? there are many people who would be more than happy with the sound"
and for some strange reason, it just made sense that what made me choose this hobby in the first place!

Yes, I still do box swapping (last purchase only last week
emotion-5.gif
) but I am not looking for that Nirvana any more, there is no PERFECT system....I just have to settle for the closest one
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I certainly agree with you Thaiman, my friend drop by and say "dude your naim is awesome, you should buy more CDs rather then complaning". Come to think of it , i should have actually done that.

A

Anonymous

EvilWolf:HHmmmm......the thought did cross my mind, Hughes!

He he he: Oh the other "very fun" hobby is stamp collecting of course! Oh, and you should all try playing Monopoly for 72 days (I've done it for an hour each day with my dad...got very boring! We had to create something called "skyscrapers" to make it more fun!)

A

Anonymous

Monopoly is good fun....Scrabble too! Stamp collection......ohhh, those were the days!
emotion-11.gif

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:
a.g.:I think the time to stop upgrading is when you feel that the increases in sound quality that you're getting are disproportional to your income, if you see what I mean. But only you know where to draw the line.

Wise words from AG
emotion-21.gif

I'm just glad someone understood what I was trying to say!

A

Anonymous

I think there's a big difference between "I like music and I want to be able to listen to it the best way" and "I like trying all the gears and stuff is reviewed in mags and commented in forums". The second option is not healthy at all and happens with every hobby. The more mags you check and the more forums you read the worst it gets.

I think that there's a point when you upgrade and you don't get any increase in the sound quality. You just get different sound...

I'll change my current system when it stops working... In 10 years hopefully. In the meantime I'll play my CD's on it.

TRENDING THREADS