When every week was vinyl week: a look back to What Hi-Fi? 1976 issue #1

robroy

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
My first amp was an Alba UA 700. It was great. It’s now up in my loft awaiting repair. I only stopped using it and replaced it with an Arcam Alpha+ because the dual ganged Volume and Loudness ‘pots’ developed flat spots and loss f signal in certain positions. Shame !
Robroy.

Reactions: Gray

robroy

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
My first amp was an Alba UA 700. It was great. It’s now up in my loft awaiting repair. I only stopped using it and replaced it with an Arcam Alpha+ because the dual ganged Volume and Loudness ‘pots’ developed flat spots and loss f signal in certain positions. Shame !
Robroy.
Furthermore the no 2 system in the first issue included the Garrard 86 SB turntable. And guess what ? I’m still using that too in April 2024. Despite everyone saying that was a right load of old rubbish too. ‘You pays yore money and you takes your choice’. Beauty is in the eye or ear of the beholder !

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Robroy.
They say you learn something every day - I don't - but I have today.
I had no idea that there was a UA-700 model.

My Uncle gave me a list of things to buy as my first system....which included a Philips! GA-437 turntable (still working 46 years on) and the UA-900 amp.
The day after I bought it, the price dropped.
I must have had the cheek to complain and, to their credit, good old Comet refunded the difference.

Get the 700 out of the loft Robroy - I've just seen a picture and the nice wood surround is all the rage now 😉
Hopefully those 'flatspots' are just contamination that will be cured by a few blasts of Servisol Super 10.
(Looks like you've got loads of switches and rotaries that will all benefit 👍).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts