When and how does audio become hifi?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

depends on your budget and where you live .... this rig in the above photo is the guys hifi (hi fidelity system) ... gives him most prob as much pleasure in music as a guy in New York who owns a 100k system

A

Anonymous

idc:
With regards to the idea of a reference sound, as my kit has improved over the years, it has become easier to hear what was going on with the original recording. That original recording is the reference sound. It is how the musician and producer wants the music to sound.

This maybe a little bit provocative, but does musicians and producers using a hi-fi equipment?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
What they use at home I don't know, but quite a lot of classical recordings are monitored on speakers such as the B&W Nautilus models used at Abbey Road, and at least one leading classical recording engineer uses a pair of modified Quad electrostatics for location monitoring.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I meant in studio and hi-fi in context of our discussion.
I think everybody knows some albums where, for example, is hard to listen singer voice, lyrics. Is that also is matter of hi-fi? It is hard to believe that it is done with purpose. Maybe my system is not so hi-fi, or maybe producers system is so much hi-fi, that for him everything is fine. I can guess that in this tehnological age most important factor for hi-fi starting to be human factor, leaving techology itself behind. Also interesting, how much building cd, amps and speakers decisions are made by measurements on how much by ear?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think quite a lot of pop music is compressed quite hard, a) to make it sound good on car radios, personal players, mobile phones and the like, and b) to make it sound louder.

Arguably the better the system used to play such material, the worse it will sound.

A

Anonymous

there are many really well produced cd's (audiophile quality) which are recommended on some internet sites and I have found that these sound superb on my system ....

A

Anonymous

Can this be very close to truth?
When and how does audio become hifi? - In recording studio.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:What they use at home I don't know, but quite a lot of classical recordings are monitored on speakers such as the B&W Nautilus models used at Abbey Road, and at least one leading classical recording engineer uses a pair of modified Quad electrostatics for location monitoring.

I remember a few years back in a WHF show (probably the Bristol one) in one of the big demo rooms they had a set of B&W Nautilus speakers and a recording in its most "raw" state on some hard disk professional recording thingy. Basically the recording was as it was when done, nothing had been changed/processed/produced from what I could tell. Absolutely incredible demonstration and truly HiFi rather than audio.

TRENDING THREADS