Question What's your next HiFi purchase?

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
That's the ZA3. I want a mk2 of the V3.
I’m not sure if that’s likely, although Fosi do seem to develop new products at a ferocious rate!

The ZA3 has the same chip amp as the V3 stereo, but a slightly different volume and on/off switching. Both lack correction for frequency related response changes that depend on speaker impedance, so will give slightly different results depending on your speakers. The V3 Monos have that ‘correction’ or PFFB circuit, and have balanced inputs too.

I’ve owned all three, and for me the Monos are a clear step ahead of the other two. As it happens I prefer the V3 stereo volume control and case design, but there’s no doubt that the ZA3 meets your stated needs already, as @gasolin said. A mk2 would surely have a PFFB circuit, but possibly not XLR sockets?

My exploration of budget audiophilia took another step forward today as my Wiim Pro Plus streamer-pre has arrived - yes, on Sunday, thanks to the nice DPD man.

As I posted in the Prime Deals thread, by Friday the big companies like Richers and Tysons had reverted to £219, the usual RRP. However, a bit of googlage exposed a couple of sellers less anxious to raise their price. From the two I found, one had another £3 voucher for October (!) so they got my £166 and a Pro Plus would become partner to the Fosi Monos.

I had re-read the rave review of the Wiim in Hifi News - from Andrew Everard, once of WHF - and this magazine’s own write up. The state of the art performance will be very interesting to contrast with my Linn which probably represented SOTA about a decade ago. Coincidentally, both have AKM DACs, though not identical models. Fascinating that one is 20x the price of the other, showing how a few brands from Japan, Korea, and China have almost commoditised high-end Hifi. Obviously there isn’t a friendly helpdesk in Scotland should I need help with the Wiim, but all the reports says it’s a cinch to setup.

The package wouldn’t have seemed too large if it had contained a mobile phone, Extraordinary how compact these pieces are - like the Fosi amps - which must help keep the costs low.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts