Question What's your next HiFi purchase?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Dunc

Feb 8, 2021
Visit site
They do look stunning. Are you able to post pictures when they arrive?
Aye I will try and post some photos, I've just set up a wireless multi room with an A9 and 2 x beosound 2 controlled with the halo.
The 8000 mk2 are being rigged to a beosound overture and a beogram 3300. For vinyl and disc listening.
Bang and Olufsen is not everyone's cup of tea, but I think it sounds great it replaced my Accoustic Energy AE1 and Aram 7 and 8 CD and amp which in turn replaced Rotel and Nad........ I like B n O thu some sniff at it.

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
Might be looking to upgrade to a pair of very high studio monitor quality stand mount speakers (£2-4k+). High sensitivity, high output (I like it loud), to go close-ish to a wall (12-18"), paired with my Linn Majik DSi Streamer Amp and Linn Unidisk 1.1 SACD Player. Not changing the Linn items, delighted with them.

Any ideas, anybody? Or maybe, What HiFi could do a group test? I haven't seen such a test recently. Long overdue, maybe?
I don't like to disappoint you but there are no such speakers as "high quality studio monitors". Unless you are talking about a "home studio" setup. And even then, quality spkrs for studio use are designed, in theory, to have a completely flat response - consistency being preferred to a pleasant listen.

There are loads of spkrs with 'monitor' in the name but that's just marketing hype.

Mr. C Nation

Mar 21, 2020
Visit site
I'm not sure at this stage.

My turntable and streamer are fixed for as far ahead as I can see, as I have no issues with the performance of either and in both cases I don't think I could improve on them without spending a fortune I don't have.

It is also unlikely that I'll buy any more speakers in the forseeable future. I currently have Dali Oberon 5s, MA Bronze 200s, Wharfedale Linton 85s and Dynaudio DM2/6 plus the Spektor 2s on my upstairs system and some pairs of older speakers. I haven't got space for anymore, and that's a pretty decent selection to choose from.

What I haven't quite got right yet is the CD player and amplifier, and I'm considering my next purchase with extreme care. I've been through a huge number of amplifiers in the last 15 years. When I think about it, it's ridiculous. I should be settling down with something now and for a considerable length of time.

I want to establish a system I can be happy with for at least the next decade and that's going to take some thinking and a change of mindset. The amps I've enjoyed the most are the Arcam A65+, Naim Nait 3, Creek 4330R, Rega Brio-R, Exposure 1010 and Cambridge Audio Azur 740A- not necessarily the most expensive I've had, but certainly the most musically enjoyable.

The most satisfying CD players I've had (saving you the pain of a full list) are the Rega Apollo-R, Rotel RCD965BX (which I still have), Roksan Kandy K3, Arcam CD73T, Cambridge Audio Azur 740C, and Harman Kardon HD970.

So, what next, bearing in mind that I like long listening sessions and listen to a vast range of music?
One thought is simply to go back to entry-level Rega, in the form of Brio and Apollo. I enjoyed my Brio-R more than I did the Elex-R I had, and I think the Apollo is almost impossible to beat anywhere near its price.

My amp shortlist is as follows:
Naim Nait 5si
Exposure XM5
Arcam SA20
Creek Evolution 50A

My CD player shortlist is:
Naim CD-5si
Exposure XM5
Arcam CD-S50
Rega Apollo
or sticking with the Roksan I still have (though it doesn't like CDs that are longer than the 80 minute limit of the red book standard, and I have a good few of those in big classical box sets. Roksan has confirmed that this is normal as they use a dedicated audio drive that is designed to give its best with red book CDs).
"change of mindset. " Spot on. You have owned lots of decent kit but you haven't been allowing any of it to play music. It's been making noises which you have sat there 'evaluating'.

It's ok to have hifi as a hobby, chopping and changing gear because that give you pleasure. But that has nothing to do with music.

I get the impression you know what quality gear is, at your price level. Just get a rig you can afford - maybe keep what you have - and cancel your membership of hifi websites and forums then just listen to music.

Friesiansam

I'm not sure at this stage.

My turntable and streamer are fixed for as far ahead as I can see, as I have no issues with the performance of either and in both cases I don't think I could improve on them without spending a fortune I don't have.

It is also unlikely that I'll buy any more speakers in the forseeable future. I currently have Dali Oberon 5s, MA Bronze 200s, Wharfedale Linton 85s and Dynaudio DM2/6 plus the Spektor 2s on my upstairs system and some pairs of older speakers. I haven't got space for anymore, and that's a pretty decent selection to choose from.

What I haven't quite got right yet is the CD player and amplifier, and I'm considering my next purchase with extreme care. I've been through a huge number of amplifiers in the last 15 years. When I think about it, it's ridiculous. I should be settling down with something now and for a considerable length of time.

I want to establish a system I can be happy with for at least the next decade and that's going to take some thinking and a change of mindset. The amps I've enjoyed the most are the Arcam A65+, Naim Nait 3, Creek 4330R, Rega Brio-R, Exposure 1010 and Cambridge Audio Azur 740A- not necessarily the most expensive I've had, but certainly the most musically enjoyable.

The most satisfying CD players I've had (saving you the pain of a full list) are the Rega Apollo-R, Rotel RCD965BX (which I still have), Roksan Kandy K3, Arcam CD73T, Cambridge Audio Azur 740C, and Harman Kardon HD970.

So, what next, bearing in mind that I like long listening sessions and listen to a vast range of music?
One thought is simply to go back to entry-level Rega, in the form of Brio and Apollo. I enjoyed my Brio-R more than I did the Elex-R I had, and I think the Apollo is almost impossible to beat anywhere near its price.

My amp shortlist is as follows:
Naim Nait 5si
Exposure XM5
Arcam SA20
Creek Evolution 50A

My CD player shortlist is:
Naim CD-5si
Exposure XM5
Arcam CD-S50
Rega Apollo
or sticking with the Roksan I still have (though it doesn't like CDs that are longer than the 80 minute limit of the red book standard, and I have a good few of those in big classical box sets. Roksan has confirmed that this is normal as they use a dedicated audio drive that is designed to give its best with red book CDs).
I could see me, with headphones, going the same way as you have with speakers, (un)fortunately I don't really have the money to do that though. I do have my eye on Focal's new Celestee though and, am watching out for reviews, which seem positive so far...

Reactions: matthewpiano

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
My most recent purchase is a pair of Kef LS50W II. My next one will be for stylish stands (if there is such a thing) I have trawled every place there is and can not find what I am looking for.

I am not in any particular camp of Hifi but I do prefer it to blend in a little so would rather not have too many boxes again as I had in the past, hence the Actives. - I have also moved 3 times in the last 10 years and it makes having vast CD or record collections somewhat impractical. However, I did enjoy vinyl when I still used it until around 5 years ago and can fully understand why many still do.

My last full size system comprised of a Hegel H120, Quad speakers. I now exclusively stream and used QUOBUZ Hi-res until recently and have moved temporarily back to Tidal Hifi as I prefer the interface and suggestions.

Last edited:

toon10

Jan 14, 2021
Visit site
I've spent a lot on upgrades this year so probably nothing for a while. Upgraded my amp/streamer to the Naim Nova and also bought a separate preamp and power supply. I was told by my local dealer that my speakers would need upgrading to make the most from my new amp but in all honesty, it sounds absolutely wonderful to me so I think I'll save the money and keep what I have.

I'm enjoying my old record collection now so might upgrade the platter and/or the cartridge but in all honesty, I stream 95% of my music and I'm really pleased with the sound from my vinyl so for once, I might just hold off on any upgrades.

edited to add... I actually think my next upgrade will be my second system in my office. I have some ancient Tannoy speakers that are not the best. I think a decent budget bookshelf upgrade might be better.

D

Deleted member 160668

I've just bought a Sugden A21a Signature.

Arrives any day now. Very excited to hear it.
It sounds good so far. Surprising as the bass goes deep, it makes my TL's in the PMC's kick, much more than the A39 did. But it's pure class A.

23w and is sounding great so far. Cannot turn it even a quarter turn before its plenty loud too. Impressed so far, but day 1.

Reactions: AndyCC72

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Was looking for floorstanding speakers to fill out my room but my current amp was never going to power them so I've got an old Roksan Kandy K2 on the way for 450 euros. Looks like a bit of a beast on paper!

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS