What's your favourite hi-fi separates brand and why?

barcpc

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I like Cambridge Audio, I have a CXN V2, CXA 61 and the CXC.
For my price range, I loved the design, the color, the reviews were great and once I had them, they sound and perform just as I expected. This is my first "adult" hi-fi system.

My other choice was Marantz, but the new line with that small round window just threw me off, I expected a decent touch screen. I did love the 80's Marantz, hope that design comes back again. This was my "young" hi-fi choice back then.

Emark600

Dec 31, 2022
Visit site
Been an Arcam ist for nearly thirty years, but have recently weeded most of it out of my set up, just the ST60 left….do wish I had bought the A49 though, as apparently it’s the best amp they ever made?

Rotel, yes, Audiolab…um, liking the 9000a a lot.

Reactions: Al ears

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't have a favourite brand as such because usually those that are great at building amplifiers are not so good at producing speakers etc.
I disagree. Rega do make both amazing amps and speakers. Rega do it all. Their turntables are supposed to sound amazing too but I don't listen to vinyl enough to drop 600 quid on a Rega turntable so I could not say. They make CD players also which I bet also sound amazing but I never found any hi-fi shops near me that sell their CD players so I could not say. Yes I think I've turned into a Rega fanboy.

I disagree. Rega do make both amazing amps and speakers. Rega do it all. Their turntables are supposed to sound amazing too but I don't listen to vinyl enough to drop 600 quid on a Rega turntable so I could not say. They make CD players also which I bet also sound amazing but I never found any hi-fi shops near me that sell their CD players so I could not say. Yes I think I've turned into a Rega fanboy.
Rega do indeed make all sorts of equipment.
Is it all brilliant?
Unfortunately not.
Ultimately it's not all actually made be Rega.
Denon do the best job in my opinion.

Reactions: WayneKerr
Without mentioning any of my own kit as that'll be a cop out.

Amplifier: Creek. They are tonally right inoffensive but invigorating presentation.
CD player: Arcam. Nicely balanced
Turntable: Gyrodec. Awesome.
Speakers: Wilson Benesch. With the right amp they can sound jaw-dropping.

Ataripower

Apr 14, 2022
Visit site
I am beginning to have a new favorite, it's early days but I've just discovered a brand called HIFI Rose. Some of their kit is hugely innovative and disruptive and way ahead of its time. A bright future for them if they can continue to produce tech like the 150b streamer!

Reactions: Gray

AJM1981

Wharfedale here.

Not a fan in the broadest sense because I don't like their "prehistoric" stuff. Just their modern range. I own the Evo 4.2, had a pair of Diamond 12.0, still within the family and traded my Diamond 11.2 for a pair of Denton 85th to use upstairs. No need for further upgrades anymore.

robdmarsh

My only experience with Rega speakers (or anything Rega for that matter) was the RS1 speakers. These were tiny and cute looking but unfortunately were also tiny sounding. Admittedly I was using them with my old Marantz mcr603 all-in-one which was in no way powerful but I had other speakers sounding very full and punchy on the end of this. The RS3 is floor stander right? How did they sound?

Mine is Tom Evans Audio although, currently, they only do amplification but have had a hand in speakers from time to time and has, in the past, modified CD players.
Why? Because Tom Evans is an amplifier guru and he works from Wales.....

Last edited:
Reactions: AJM1981

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts