whats the most expensive system you have listened to ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 188516

whats the most expensive system you have listened to and what did you think ?

D

Deleted member 188516

i'll add the that the most expensive set up i had demonstrated included kef blade 2 speakers, classe pre and power amps and a leema cd player.

i was left underwhelmed and i kind of appreciated the (modest) kit i had back home even more...

Reactions: RBinDC

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Heard some Kef Blades with various large lumps of amplification, all being fed by one of those space ship look-a like turntables playing a 'classic album' Peter Gabriel I think. It was all set up in a small church hosted by Audio T. I didn't really enjoy the music TBH and did not place an order for the £30k Blades afterwards.

Back down to earth I was rather smitten with the £16.5K Spendor SP200 - they would go nice in my room :)

D

Deleted member 188516

Heard some Kef Blades with various large lumps of amplification, all being fed by one of those space ship look-a like turntables playing a 'classic album' Peter Gabriel I think. It was all set up in a small church hosted by Audio T. I didn't really enjoy the music TBH and did not place an order for the £30k Blades afterwards.

Back down to earth I was rather smitten with the £16.5K Spendor SP200 - they would go nice in my room :)

just googled the spendor sp200. look really nice in that dark wood effect finish (wrong description i know !) but i like how they are a "plain" looking box as such.

i dont really like speakers that look like they belong on a space ship such as the b&w 800 series.

rainsoothe

Well I heard a MSB DAC with Naim's entry pre-power and JBL 4312se and I was smitten - the JBLs are very raw sounding (which I'm usually sensitive to) but with the MSB there was just sheer joy. Also heard some accuphase and Copland stuff, and those were amazing too.

Gray

I tried the original Sennheiser Orpheous, complete with its valve amp, briefly at a show.
Seem to recall it being OK.....probably should have been though - at £9,000 it cost 6x as much as my car.
I think there are two versions of it these days? One for around £35,700, the other £51,000.
(Which make the 9 grand original seem like a bargain).

D

Deleted member 188516

Well I heard a MSB DAC with Naim's entry pre-power and JBL 4312se and I was smitten - the JBLs are very raw sounding (which I'm usually sensitive to) but with the MSB there was just sheer joy. Also heard some accuphase and Copland stuff, and those were amazing too.

a complete top of the range msb system connected to the top of the range magico speakers is a true hi-end system i would love to hear !

Reactions: rainsoothe
D

Deleted member 188516

Me too. Never been to a hifi show and don't know anyone who has a better system than me. I'm also not sure I'd want to - might breed some dissatisfaction.

good point but my experience with the kef blades etc had the opposite effect !

insider9

Superb speakers! Heard them on the end of "hernia class" mono blocks (can't remember the make or model) and Chord Dave+M-Scaler combo fed by fancy streamer (Melco, I believe). That's the most impressive expensive system I've heard in a domestic environment. And I am fussy :ROFLMAO:

You do need a rather large room for them but they're worth it.

D

Deleted member 188516

Superb speakers! Heard them on the end of "hernia class" mono blocks (can't remember the make or model) and Chord Dave+M-Scaler combo fed by fancy streamer (Melco, I believe). That's the most impressive expensive system I've heard in a domestic environment. And I am fussy :ROFLMAO:

You do need a rather large room for them but they're worth it.

did this system give you the impression that the performers / instruments were in the room with you ?

did this system give you the impression that the performers / instruments were in the room with you ?

I recall my good pal Sir Dave Attenborough* saying of diving to see aquatic life that you aren't going to see them, they are coming to see you. There's an analogy with good hifi in that you should feel like you are in the room with them rather than the reverse. Might seem like a small distinction, but you wouldn't want an orchestra in your living room!

*Not exactly true, alas...

D

Deleted member 116933

Ignorance is bliss, I don't listen to anything I cant afford, even if im invited a by someone i will politely turn them down

insider9

Sadly not but it was a large living room with a huge bay window behind speakers. Let's say acoustically the room wasn't optimal. I'm sure with acoustic room treatment it would give you exactly that feeling. I've achieved amazing results in my old listening treated room with far lower priced gear. And even my new small control room with cheap studio monitors can be impressive.

Scale and timbre of these Spendors was impressive though, and dare I say it with a different DAC (not a fan of Chord) they'd do even better. Considering this was £40-50k it was really well put together and worked as a whole. Credit to owner and these impressive speakers. I've heard many expensive systems in the past that were unremarkable and that's usually a rule not an exception.

D

Deleted member 160668

Kondo & Living voice circa £1.6m
Well I've just searched really hard. Currently removing hands from back of sofa, but damn I didn't find the 1.6milly in there I thought there might be. Therefore guess I'll need to wait for my turn to own and listen to this badboy system.

I'm off to write on my calendar so I dont forget to recheck my sofa at the same time next year 😂

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Some of it is crazy and I walk past with diminishing returns. So I wouldn’t actually stop to listen to something really expensive. Often it doesn’t so much sound really different. Not talking normal expensive level like dCS Bartok (better than Dave btw) but when you get naim statement amp crazy prices and all that rubbish. It’s stupid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts