What would you look for in speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Due to popular demand, (always wanted to say that!) I've decided to restart my speaker project! But, I need to do some marketing research, and so the questions pass to you. I would greatly appreciate it if you could complete the mini-questionaire by putting 1)a 2)b 3)c etc...many, many thanks to all who can provide their opinion! 1) If you were to buy a speaker for around £500, what would be your priority? A - Bass extention with high SPLs and expansive sound B - Neutral tone with well produced soundstage C - Superb timing alied to slightly dry tone D - Slightly warm tone with good bass extention and good soundstage 2) Which of these is more important to you? A - Design of speaker B - Size and practicality of speaker C - Build quality of speaker D - Easy placement of speaker 3) Which of these would you prefer? A - Warm tone with superior bass extention B - Neutral tone with less bass extention C - Dry tone with superior timing 4) Which of these would you prefer on a £500 speaker? A - Two way standmount B - Three way standmount C - Two way floorstander D - Three way floorstander Many thanks! Complete questionaire like this E.G: 1)A 2)B 3)C 4)D

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Easy. 1) R E G A R 3 2) E P O S 12.2
emotion-1.gif

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
None of the above.

Audition a few(at home). The right size for the environment(ie not huge floorstanders in a cramped bedroom). And choose the ones you like the sound of best. End of.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
From an enlightening article I read recently in another hi-fi mag.

"When you listen to a speaker in a room, you're not listening to the speaker but to the integrated response of the speaker and the room. It's how the speaker energises the room that matters, not a question of subjective judgement, because we all hear in the same way."

In other words, all speakers have a sound and certain characteristics (voicing) but will sound different in every space they are put into. They will also change depending on how they are secured (or not secured) or mounted and on what type of surface they are placed on. A suspended floor will dissipate bass energy, but one advantage of floorboards is the ease with which heavy-duty cross-headed screws can be sunk into the wood (through the carpet as well but don't tell SHMBO) to provide a rock solid locating platform for the spikes at the bottom of stands or on floorstanders themselves. But despite doing this and however rigid the supporting structure, the speaker will still move backwards against the forward motion of the driver cone(s).

Decide what you like in a speaker, bearing in mind the size and construction of your room and then always audition them in that room. Auditioning speakers in dealers' customised demo rooms is all well and good, but the speakers you prefer and buy there will not perform the same when you get them home.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I think you did pretty well to get one answer in the right format on a Hi-Fi forum! This sort of questionnaire would work well on the street though. Your average person on the street likes A, B, C and D answers as they can pick one at random and go on about their business. Make sure a pretty girl asks the questions though...
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

1) A
2) A
3) A
4) C

Although I'd have to say on a couple of questions I don't really agree with any option. So....

1) A and D but replace warm with bright (but not too bright). I want full bandwidth speakers.

2) A enconompasses everything. So A and C.

3) I like a slightly bright sound, but not harsh - but isn't this quesiton 1 with fewer options?

4) C/D I own 3 ways and I've looked at the 4 way variant (GS/GR 60) and drooled. I've always hated the idea of a negative impact on my stereo image though.

A

Anonymous

GPI you're exactly right there... but what about testing speakers outside with no nearby objects...;)

A

Anonymous

Keep it going people! Thanks to all those who posted! I know it's not the best place to ask these questions - but the questions have been set up specifically for this purpose, so if you don't agree with the possible choices - go for the one which is the smallest compromise! Many thanks!

I'll wait for 50 posts and then count the results!

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Mr_Poletski"]GPI you're exactly right there... but what about testing speakers outside with no nearby objects...;)[/quote]

What, you mean that's not how I'm supposed to test them? Doh.
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gpi"]From an enlightening article I read recently in another hi-fi mag.

"When you listen to a speaker in a room, you're not listening to the speaker but to the integrated response of the speaker and the room. It's how the speaker energises the room that matters, not a question of subjective judgement, because we all hear in the same way."

In other words, all speakers have a sound and certain characteristics (voicing) but will sound different in every space they are put into. They will also change depending on how they are secured (or not secured) or mounted and on what type of surface they are placed on. A suspended floor will dissipate bass energy, but one advantage of floorboards is the ease with which heavy-duty cross-headed screws can be sunk into the wood (through the carpet as well but don't tell SHMBO) to provide a rock solid locating platform for the spikes at the bottom of stands or on floorstanders themselves. But despite doing this and however rigid the supporting structure, the speaker will still move backwards against the forward motion of the driver cone(s).

[/quote]

gotta say that i was similarly impressed by this article in HFC - in fact their "Understanding..." articles so far have all been very informative and relavant.

A

Anonymous

Hughes123 - sorry but i cant answer your questionare as you want as my priorities differ from any of your suggestions. if i was to go and spend that money on speakers i would want a speaker that does most things very well - rather than one or two things well but at the expense of others...
hope that can be of some help to you...

A

Anonymous

actually i just realised that i can answer your question 4 - i would choose a 3-way standmount!
i have to ask though - why have you grouped together the characteristics like you have? can a speaker not have good bass extension whilst remaining neutral? surely the extension only need to be balanced to the overall output of the other frequencies...?
similarly, why should timing affect tone? I am not tying to criticise you - i just think you might be selling yourself short on what a speaker can and cant do...?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]actually i just realised that i can answer your question 4 - i would choose a 3-way standmount!
i have to ask though - why have you grouped together the characteristics like you have? can a speaker not have good bass extension whilst remaining neutral? surely the extension only need to be balanced to the overall output of the other frequencies...?
similarly, why should timing affect tone? I am not tying to criticise you - i just think you might be selling yourself short on what a speaker can and cant do...?[/quote]

No, it's my fault, I havn't correctly described what I am doing here: I am trying to produce speakers that voice well for a given market. By seeing what compromises people accept, I can get a rough idea of what the product should be like. eg people who would compromise bass weight for a neutral tone and then say they like 3 way floorstanders gives the idea that there may be room in the market for such a product - it's complicated! I need a few more replies and then I can explain what I will do with the data.

A

Anonymous

Ok thankyou everyone!

I must quickly ask the question, where is the best place to get drivers and crossovers from?

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Howdy Hughsey, I was toying with the idea of building a pair of speakers several years ago, sadly apathy set in, ho hum. It's been interesting watching Ray Palmer's thread on the subject though, hope you do have a go m8. And to answer your survey:

1)D 2)A 3)A 4)A

Had to chuckle at Drummerman's answer!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts