What would you guys upgrade on this set up.

Tisinthepark

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
My current set up is a project essential 3 turntable with ortofon 2m blue,stereo box s phono and speaker box 5.....just wondering what you guys would do with it....(be kind)

i could have a budget of £400 to play around with.

I would like my ears to get the most out of my albums.....

Tisinthepark said:
My current set up is a project essential 3 turntable with ortofon 2m blue,stereo box s phono and speaker box 5.....just wondering what you guys would do with it....(be kind)

i could have a budget of £400 to play around with.

I would like my ears to get the most out of my albums.....

Sorry , where is the amplifier in all this?

D

Deleted member 108165

Any amp that has a integral phono stage; Japanese seem to fair well in this respect: Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz, Onkyo. Entry level on any of these would be better than what you currently use.

Tisinthepark

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
I can get these for around £260 should I be looking for something better as my budget is £400 or put the change towards speakers for the next upgrade.

D

Deleted member 108165

If the Marantz aesthetics are to your liking then the 6006 would do quite nicely. Definitely pocket the difference for a speaker upgrade as soon as finances permit.

Don't forget that you'll get more for your money if you go the secondhand route, so for your £400ish budget you could get an amp and speakers. Anything from the PM6003 to the PM6006, or even the PM5005, would be a decent upgrade from the Pro-ject.

If you will only entertain new then there's this: http://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/marantz-pm6006-qaccoustics-2020i.html , can't vouch for the speakers as I've never heard them, (but there are other bundled speakers available at varying prices).

Tisinthepark

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
I don't mind second hand gear as long as its in good condition are there any speakers you would recommend or sites that I can have a look at for second hand gear..thanks for the help guys.

Are my speakers and amp really that bad?they cost me £200 each..

i haven't heard any other set ups to compare.

D

Deleted member 108165

Your speakers cost £200 each! You were robbed mate! A pair now sells for under £200. You can't always listen to reviews but many of them appear to slate the Pro-jects. Try them with a different amp, they may improve. HiFi is down to personal taste so what sounds awful to one person may sound perfectly ok to another.

You really need to ask some questions in the main HiFi forum. Marantz has a strong following but speakers are a personal choice. I've matched Marantz with Monitor Audio in the past and have been happy with the results, (MA Bronze), many swear by Dali, (Zensor 3), QAcoustics may be fine too. The only way you are going to find the correct speaker for your taste is to audition.

If you've set your budget at £400 just for the amp then buying used might enable you to bag a better amp at a bargain price, just make sure it has an integral phono stage. eBay is good, but used can be a lottery so as always caveat emptor.

DougK said:
Your speakers cost £200 each! You were robbed mate! A pair now sells for under £200. You can't always listen to reviews but many of them appear to slate the Pro-jects. Try them with a different amp, they may improve. HiFi is down to personal taste so what sounds awful to one person may sound perfectly ok to another.

You really need to ask some questions in the main HiFi forum. Marantz has a strong following but speakers are a personal choice. I've matched Marantz with Monitor Audio in the past and have been happy with the results, (MA Bronze), many swear by Dali, (Zensor 3), QAcoustics may be fine too. The only way you are going to find the correct speaker for your taste is to audition.

If you've set your budget at £400 just for the amp then buying used might enable you to bag a better amp at a bargain price, just make sure it has an integral phono stage. eBay is good, but used can be a lottery so as always caveat emptor.

I think he was referring to his amp and his speakers each costing £200.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Spend £400 on ex-demo speakers that you heard and liked, with return option if you happen not to like them in your listening space.

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Tisinthepark said:
Can I sit my turntable on top of a marantz pm6006 amp without any problems?

It's not ideal, covered the vents of your amplifier can cause overheating, and perhaps more importantly the noise from the transformer COULD be picked up my your cartridge. But it wouldn't be the end of the world and I doubt you'd notice either problem particularly. (on the otherhand, TT on amp does look kinda poop)

I'd second the Marantz. It's a great little amp for a the price with a decent preamp, after that superior speakers would definitely be worth it too.

I'm going to be shameless and link you to a few of my videos if you want for a bit of a layup on buying new ones

Bookshelfs or Floorstanders

Buying a new amplifier

Tisinthepark

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
Ended up going for the rotel a10 amp and got a great wee deal on mission xl2 speakers.....now to sell all my stuff and put that towards an new TT.

D

Deleted member 108165

Interesting choices! Did you audition the gear or just walk in and buy it?

Tisinthepark

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
Yeh I got to listen to them dougk I found a great store about an hours drive away I preferred the rotel over the marantz on sound and looks pity it doesn't have a remote though and the speakers are a fair bit better than the projects which I've already sold so now I'm saving for a new TT and even better speakers fancy the b&w 686 s2's that I heard in his shop that were hooked up to a rega TT.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts