What would you do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
You have given many people good advice including myself, so its nice of you to give us the chance to help you.
My suggestion is buy buy buy. Give them a long demo and if you are happy keep them, if not sell them at a good price , Im sure you would not lose too much.
Also you could use a sub to get some extra bass for movies.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The Kef LS50s can be bunged or partially bunged up, not sure how that would effect the sound but for me they needed to much power to get going so for me you normally plays at low/moderate volumes I don't think they would work, also not the most bassy of speakers so if ypu start bunging them would be even worse? Also they need good amps to really shine.

BigH said:
The Kef LS50s can be bunged or partially bunged up, not sure how that would effect the sound but for me they needed to much power to get going so for me you normally plays at low/moderate volumes I don't think they would work, also not the most bassy of speakers so if ypu start bunging them would be even worse? Also they need good amps to really shine.

Also read on here that the LS50s aren't the best at low levels, but Coventry Dave has suggested on a different thread that a good match for the LSs is the Leema Elements. Not heard this Leema but I'm assuming it has similar/same tonal qualities, so should be fine.

Don't think the Pulse will have much trouble as it's really good amp. If a £1300 amp can't drive them well, then that doesn't say much for the Kefs. Likewise, the PMCs need good amplification.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Don't think the Pulse will have much trouble as it's really good amp. If a £1300 amp can't drive them well, then that doesn't say much for the Kefs. Likewise, the PMCs need good amplification.

I would be very surprised if this wasn't the case.......they will need good stands though (imo).

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

I would be very surprised if this wasn't the case.......they will need good stands though (imo).

Especially as WHFI have recommended a sub-£700 amp as a good match. (Knock me over with a feather...)

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
The only way to put your mind at rest wondering about the other brands is to audition them all.

I would also audition floorstanders - something newer from MA, Tannoy Rev DC6, Kef series.

The choice as they say is yours.

kev g said:
The only way to put your mind at rest wondering about the other brands is to audition them all. I would also audition floorstanders - something newer from MA, Tannoy Rev DC6, Kef series. The choice as they say is yours.

Don't want anymore MAs - had'em too many years. Fancy a change. The others are too big. Need something more discreet.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Yeah but no but. Oooooo...
DAC-V1_Creative_High-Double_Black.jpg

+1

They do look gergeous. I want to buy some just to look at them.

matthewpiano said:
The DB1i are fantastic PP and you've always spoken highly of them. Personally I'd go for it, set them up and get on with enjoying what has transformed into a pretty outstanding system.

Thanks Matthew - sensational speakers for the money, although not heard the newer upstarts. As you know I don't change very often because, generally, I usually get it right for my tastes. Don't want to prejudice the PMCs nor do I want to omit newer models for the sake of an easy life.

T

the record spot

plastic penguin said:

I know yours is a somewhat modded Pulse PP, but I had the Pulse amp for a while when my old Sansui AU-717 was in amp hospital a couple of years back. Two 80w amps, albeit the Sansui was conservatively rated, but it was the equal and then some of the Leema. It was either that the Leema (or the Expoure 3010s) didn't quite stack up to being £1300s worth of amp, or the Sansui gear was a top performer. I like to think the latter!

Either way, with 80w on tap, your current amp will be fine.

the record spot said:
plastic penguin said:

I know yours is a somewhat modded Pulse PP, but I had the Pulse amp for a while when my old Sansui AU-717 was in amp hospital a couple of years back. Two 80w amps, albeit the Sansui was conservatively rated, but it was the equal and then some of the Leema. It was either that the Leema (or the Expoure 3010s) didn't quite stack up to being £1300s worth of amp, or the Sansui gear was a top performer. I like to think the latter!

Either way, with 80w on tap, your current amp will be fine.

I know. You have mentioned this before. Can't comment on the aforementioned Sansui, nor can say anything about Exposure 3010, but I have put it up against 2K amps, and in certain areas the Pulse is easily the match...

For my taste, at least, it'll take a colossally sounding amp to seriously worry it.

I've never said the Leema is the greatest thing since sliced bread (certain active users have over promoted their bundles), not going to understate the talents of the Pulse either. It's a great amp for the money and offers that bit extra if the sound appeals. As we all know hi-fi is such a personal thing.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I don't know if you have made your mind up yet PP. but thought I would add my two cents.

I own the DB1is but use them as rears currently (they have been used up front too tho), and have heard the monitor audio's a few times.

i just can't imagine you not missing some of the scale and bass from your current floorstanders, if you make the change. You have always spoken so highly of them, so don't give the impression that you aren't happy with the current performance.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if this is change because you want something different and fancy an alternative approach, then go for it. I suspect you will lose as much as you will gain tho.

Now if you were to go for the FB1i's or GB1i's I would have no reservations in saying go for it.

How big is the room BTW?

gregvet said:
I don't know if you have made your mind up yet PP. but thought I would add my two cents.

I own the DB1is but use them as rears currently (they have been used up front too tho), and have heard the monitor audio's a few times.

i just can't imagine you not missing some of the scale and bass from your current floorstanders, if you make the change. You have always spoken so highly of them, so don't give the impression that you aren't happy with the current performance.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if this is change because you want something different and fancy an alternative approach, then go for it. I suspect you will lose as much as you will gain tho.

Now if you were to go for the FB1i's or GB1i's I would have no reservations in saying go for it.

How big is the room BTW?

This is exactly why I haven't 'busted a gut' to change. The overall sound is superb given the price disparity between speakers, sources and amp. Also know (when I last had the DB1is here about 18 months ago) that although there is a small shortfall in bass, it more than makes up for it with drive. And the HFs, still sparkly, is a little more benevolent than MAs metal domed jobbie. The key thing is Mrs. P liking for a more discreet set-up. Loves the look of the MAs but hates the size.

My room is 18' x 13'. Due to the crumby design of our bungalow they have to fire across the narrow side. The speakers a about 12" from wall and I suppose seating is roughly 8-9' from speakers. Narrow margins.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts