What would you do?

davidricard25

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I currently use the following
Hi, here is my current devices:

In my room :
Speakers: KEF C-55 (dating from the 80's)
Receiver: Yamaha RX-671
Subwoofer: KEF Q-400

In my office :
Monitors: KRK Rokit 6

I would like to change the speakers in my room (wich is 10 feet x 10 feet tall) for a better audio system. I find that my actuals KEF aren't clear enough for me and have not a good presence. I'm looking for many days for KEF Reference model one or model 2. I have seen a pair used (not surprising given that they date from the late 90's) for $ 800.

I like the sound that gives KEF in general and I would like to keep this sound system for a long time.

I listen to classical music, rock, opera, blues, jazz, rap, techno, etc. I also use the sound system for watching movies. I would like a significant improvement in listening to my music and my movies.

Do you think I'll see a big difference in term of audio quality between the KEF Reference and my current systems (KEF C-55 and KRK Rokit 6)? And considering the price of KEF Reference model one used (800$), do you believe that I would make a good deal?

Thank you !

David

K

keeper of the quays

davidricard25 said:
Hi everyone,

I currently use the following
Hi, here is my current devices:

In my room :
Speakers: KEF C-55 (dating from the 80's)
Receiver: Yamaha RX-671
Subwoofer: KEF Q-400

In my office :
Monitors: KRK Rokit 6

I would like to change the speakers in my room (wich is 10 feet x 10 feet tall) for a better audio system. I find that my actuals KEF aren't clear enough for me and have not a good presence. I'm looking for many days for KEF Reference model one or model 2. I have seen a pair used (not surprising given that they date from the late 90's) for $ 800.

I like the sound that gives KEF in general and I would like to keep this sound system for a long time.

I listen to classical music, rock, opera, blues, jazz, rap, techno, etc. I also use the sound system for watching movies. I would like a significant improvement in listening to my music and my movies.

Do you think I'll see a big difference in term of audio quality between the KEF Reference and my current systems (KEF C-55 and KRK Rokit 6)? And considering the price of KEF Reference model one used (800$), do you believe that I would make a good deal?

Thank you !

David
i think reference speakers are just that! They should remain in your system through changes of equipment..the idea being better the kit better they sound? This is the case with my reference speakers...if it were me think i would borrow some speakers if i could? Just to see what i thought? Sorry i cant be more helpful..

K

keeper of the quays

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Reference speakers could require a reference amp?
true they could..not sure what a reference amp is? I have heard it said a good speaker with not so good amp equals disatisfaction? And a good amp and average speakers equal happiness? Pure drivel....a decent speaker will make any amp sound better..i put my average speakers on my good amp..they sounded bad..on average amp (roksan) they sounded good..my reference speakers sounded good on roksan better on quad..so as your system improves your reference speakers remain the same..thats why they so pricey..but in my view a worthwile investment..as they never let you down!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
..if it were me think i would borrow some speakers if i could? Just to see what i thought? Sorry i cant be more helpful..

If it was me, I would also try to get some speakers on home demo - just to see what options there might be new, you could then also look at 2nd hand. I would also have a listen to a 2 channel hifi amp as well to see if that makes any difference to you, it might not help your situation, but it might clear up what sound you are looking for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts