What would you change first ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
NAD 3020i amp NAD 524 cd player JPW Speakers CABLE TALK 2.1speaker cable Or would you start again?? I have had this system for many years now, and do enjoy it, however I do have budget (£1000) and would like to upgrade. I am not sure where to start: source or speakers? or the amp?? my stomach tells me speakers and speaker cable. Also, I would like to consider putting my cd collection onto a server. I have a fairly good sized rectangular lounge 30f x15f and enjoy listening to everything from 'art of noise' through to 'phillip glass' with a fair amount of drum n bass thrown in for good measure. Ideally i would like to achieve a very spatial, transparent and engaging soundscape. Any suggestions welcome, thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
With a budget of £1k youve got plenty of room to swap and change.

Personally id go for upgrading the amp and speakers as you first thought

After auditioning the NAD C352 amp with the C542 CD Player and B&W 684 speakers today, i'd go for the speakers and the amp for sure.

They amp has plenty of power with great midrange, tight and low bass with no swampyness about it at all and the treble was nice a crisp. The speakers were superb. Went very low with good controlled midrange and tight crisp bass.

The CD player and amp were up against equivilant priced marantz gear (the latest amp and CD players) and the NAD won outright.

They were auditioned with Iron Maiden and Metallica to Jethro Tull & Bonzo Dog to Fischerspooner, Air, Daft Punk, Leftfield, Underworld and more electronic, fast and bassy music. (I have a weird eclectic taste i know...)

I think the NAD amp and B&W speakers would be a great choice. If you want to save some £££, look on Ebay for some B&W 603 S3 speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Dan,

I do have a soft spot for NAD as it has stood the test of many parties! Have you listened to the 603's v 684's?

What speaker cable are you running? Did you look at mixing manufacturers eg. roksan/arcam etc ?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Well im looking for another system (my 3rd - the other halfs gonna kill me...)

I wouldnt partner Arcam with Roksan at all, Roksan's quite bright where as Arcam is smooth and warm but to me and my music tastes, Arcam suit B&W speakers very very well!

I've had the 603's before, as well as the 602's (which could be another option for you, as these, with good stands, give out fantastic bass). The 603's vs the 684's to me, there isnt much in it. For my taste, i prefer the 603's as their bass is just a little more tight BUT the 684's give out just that little bit better midrange and the treble is equal between them

I'm running QED Silver Anniversay bi-wire currently on my main system as well as my 2nd system with QED 2 interconnects (which i'm looking to upgrade).

The main system i have with the AE309 floorstanders is v good, but i'm looking to go back to B&W speakers as there's just something about the AE309's, to me, that dont give out the same sound as B&W floorstanders. But dont get me wrong, the AE309's sound fantastic and go very low.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts