What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 274 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Shove Rugby and Football up where the sun don't shine, and let's play some vinyl chaps..

244_large_1.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I know everyone remembers them for the one hit wonder I'm Free, but this album has some good songs, and I remember seeing them at Brixton Academy many years ago supporting The Jesus & Mary Chain, and they were proper good. Look out for a track called Supercherry, it's a corker.

5702.jpg

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm, my thoughts exactly...

Had my first listen of this album recently. Loved the first record. Persisted with the second record....not sure I'll be listening again in a hurry.

edit: I also have Out Of Reach, which I like a lot. Anyone got any other Can recommendations?

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ege Bamysasi is my favourite. Superb apart from the long improvisation, Soup, on side 2, which doesn't really work.
Future Days is probably the easiest of their albums to listen to. Sounds a bit over-produced in places (it isn't - it was still done on a 4-track) but there's some great stuff on it.
Half the tracks on Monster Movie, Soundtracks and Soon Over Babaluma are brilliant, the rest not so good. Monster Movie is very different - stripped down, more percussive and with a different vocalist. Some people like it more than the rest, others less so.
I can't really be bothered with anything from Landed onwards. There are one or two good tracks (Smoke on Flow Motion, Animal Waves on Saw Delight) but it's nowhere near the quality of the ealier stuff.
If you can get it, the CD of their Peel Sessions has some amazing tracks on it, particularly Tony Wanna Go, which doesn't have any two bars the same in its 15 minutes.

Hope you find some you like!

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ha, the Mary Chain. Just found out a friend of mine's going to see them in a few days - didn't even know they were still going. I saw them in Kilburn in 1986 - possibly the loudest noise I've ever experienced. And it came from everywhere, not just from the speakers. Must dig out Psychocandy one of these days and see how it stands up. And Vegetable Man.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The Stooges - No Fun

2748747.jpg

A band that were great, always sounded great, and always will sound great.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Ha, the Mary Chain. Just found out a friend of mine's going to see them in a few days - didn't even know they were still going. I saw them in Kilburn in 1986 - possibly the loudest noise I've ever experienced. And it came from everywhere, not just from the speakers. Must dig out Psychocandy one of these days and see how it stands up. And Vegetable Man.

Some friends of ours are going to see them too. I saw them in 1987 at Brixton Academy, they were ok, but William Reid was so pissed he could hardly stand up, let alone play the guitar.

Loudest noise I've experienced at a gig, probably The Butthole Surfers at Reading Festival, though I had to walk out of an Add N To X gig at The Garage because of the combination of frequencies and volume.

Psychocandy still stands up; a seminal record I think.

Now listening to a record that was of it's time, and absolutely doesn't stand up; and the've reformed. *stop*

Ride - Nowhere

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Cowboy Junkies

- The Trinity Session

- The Caution Horses

lights off, some 15yo Dalwhinnie and Margo's voice washing over me. Heaven

I think 'The Caution Horses' is a great record, better than 'The Trinity Sessions' in many ways. Dalwhinnnie is lovely. I've got Grant's bog standard, £10 from Sainsbury's! I think you win!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Bill Evans: 'Everybody digs Bill Evans'. Mono.

The Byrds: 'Fifth Dimension'.

Lee Morgan: 'The Sidewinder'.

Alice In Chains: 'Angry Chair 4 track EP'.

Band Of Susans: 'Here Comes Success'.

Bob Dylan: 'Another Side Of Bob Dylan'. Mono.

The Great Society with Grace Slick: 'Conspicuous Only In Its Absence'. Mono.

Charles Mingus: 'East Coasting'.

Various Capricorn Artists: 'The South's Greatest Hits'.

De La Soul: 'The Best Of'. Double lp.

Thelonious Monk: 'Monk's Moods. Thelonious Monk Trios'. Mono.

John Martyn: Glorious Fool'.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Some glorious sounds there Jim, from the ones I'm familiar with.

Here's mine, last night and this morning:

Lousy Sylvianbriar - Of Montreal

Basement Tapes - Bob & The Band

(yes, I shelled out £60!!!!)

The Last Waltz - Bob & The Band bits

Love & Theft - Bob

Time Out Of Mind - Bob

And selections from the recent Beatles Mono box. I spotted a B-stock copy online and took a gamble. Box slightly crushed on one corner, all vinyl in perfect nick.

Blunderbuss & Lazeretto - Jack White

Rocket Man - Kate Bush

Small Group Recordings - Wes Montgomery/Jimmy Smith

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
jimbofisher said:
Cowboy Junkies

- The Trinity Session

- The Caution Horses

lights off, some 15yo Dalwhinnie and Margo's voice washing over me. Heaven

I think 'The Caution Horses' is a great record, better than 'The Trinity Sessions' in many ways. Dalwhinnnie is lovely. I've got Grant's bog standard, £10 from Sainsbury's! I think you win!

i am lucky with my whisky, we don't drink during the week at home and I only have whisky as a night cap so only a double/triple Saturday, Sunday and Friday. Bottles tend to last and I build up a collection when I go away, mother-in-law buys me decent bottles for birthdays. The Dalwhinnie is very nice, again a gift, my brother recently went to the distillery and got a a 20cl bottle.

Psychocandy - The Jesus and Mary Chain

Wonder Where We Land - SBTRKT

The Haunted Man - Bat For Lashes

The Fire Inside - Luke Sital-Singh

If Yuo Leave - Daughter

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts