What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 273 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Tonight:

Mike Cooper: 'Trout Steel'. God, I love this beautiful record. A warm bath of folk, blues and jazz with great songs. Has its own kind of down-home atmosphere and exists within its own self-contained world that draws you in like all great records. Nicely recorded with great guitars and some lovely weird passages of pretty free sax playing. Unique, really.

Yusef Lateef: 'Eastern Sounds'. Masterful.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the Coltrane context amd thoughts - most illuminating and informative. I'll definitely have a good listen before purchasing.

And no, you were not writing too much - it's a vital part of this great obsession we all have here. You articulate many fine thoughts and convey a real love and knowledge for music, collecting and the relevance of sound in our lives. Keep it flowing!

I'll sign off now - some of us have to work, y'know!!

(no extra listening tonight. Instead I read Ian Clayton's Bringing It All Back Home. A highly recommended personal reflection on the place music has in our existence, Funny, light, dark and sombre - plus he's got pretty good taste. (i.e) we have a good few records in our collections in common. Always helps.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the Coltrane context amd thoughts - most illuminating and informative. I'll definitely have a good listen before purchasing.

And no, you were not writing too much - it's a vital part of this great obsession we all have here. You articulate many fine thoughts and convey a real love and knowledge for music, collecting and the relevance of sound in our lives. Keep it flowing!

I'll sign off now - some of us have to work, y'know!!

(no extra listening tonight. Instead I read Ian Clayton's Bringing It All Back Home. A highly recommended personal reflection on the place music has in our existence, Funny, light, dark and sombre - plus he's got pretty good taste. (i.e) we have a good few records in our collections in common. Always helps.

Hi Charlie. I haven't heard of the Ian Clayton book but it sounds very interesting and right up my street. I'll look out for it...maybe there's some extracts online. Thanks for your kind comments.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
After a few days re-acquainting myself with my CD player ( bloody good, I think they are the future ), decided to put on a LP..

The-Doors-The-Best-Of-The-D-552533.jpg

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Dead Can Dance - Spiritchaser

Must be the first listen for 10 years or so. Still sounding great but not their strongest album.

Fuzz - Fuzz

Fuzztastic. Love it's fuzziness. Where's my Fuzzy Felt?

Deep Purple - In Rock

Given this on cassette as a 13 year old by my older step brother. As he said then to my mum "If it's too loud, you're too old". And so began my journey into rock.

Celtic Frost - Monotheist

Saw the tour for this comeback. A good effort, feels like a Celtic Frost album should.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
First records for a while - been CDs recently (I agree, they definitely are the future).

Palais Schaumburg – Palais Schaumburg. Excellent Neue Deutsche Welle. For those of you who don't know them, check out Wir Bauen Eine Neue Stadt.
Björk – Homogenic. Probably my favourite Björk album, along with Vespertine. I know the very idea of a 'favourite Björk album' is enough to set some people's teeth on edge, but there you have it.
Lee "Scratch" Perry – Nu Sound & Version. Powerful remixes.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Waxy said:
Nobody else listening to vinyl then...

I go through phases - haven't played any for a while. Today, a couple.

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band – Bluejeans & Moonbeams. Emphatically not the Magic Band, and his worst album, I very rarely listen to this, but played it today, and actually for the most part it's not that bad - fairly standard mid-70s US blues rock - with a couple of pretty decent songs on it. 'Observatory Crest' rather creeps up on you in a lovely way.

Mallard – Mallard. What the Magic Band was doing while Beefheart was making the above album.

Now to get stuck into the rugby...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
what do you think? I like it, but it is an aquired taste!

Have you listened to the Wytches yet?

I like most of it, some of it is really good, some of it lacks a bit of imagination I think. Vinyl is good though, a little bit of background noise from the coloured vinyl, but no pops or crackles.

As for The Wytches, I'm kind of avoiding playing the vinyl because I bought one of the limited signed editions, so I've only listened to the download. I like it though, they have a great sound.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Miles Davis: 'E.S.P'.

Miles Davis: 'Seven Steps To Heaven'.

Wes Montgomery: 'Movin' Along'.

William Ackerman: 'Passage'.

Listening time reduced watching the rugby and football: Hodgson Out.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
Listening time reduced watching football: Hodgson Out.

So you've heard the gay rumours too. *smile*

I wish I had heard those rumours, BBB; at least he'd be marginally more interesting than my current perceptions which are based on the plodding and unadventurous performances that he manages to coax out of the cream of English footballing talent. Mind you, if that's the best we've got, God help us. The real problem is, of couse, Sky money: Sky Out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts