What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 267 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Whoo, Jim, ask for me too! I always loved Massive Attack, but was poor and then was buring CDs in the 90s so never got any of their albums on vinyl, and now the prices are prohibitive. (I do have Unfinished Sympathy on 7", which I still love after all these years.)

Mr Giblets

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Last night and today I have manily been listening to -

Abbey Road -The Beatles

Lynyrd Skynyrd -Lynyrd Skynyrd

Wishbone Ash -Theres The Rub

Bruce Hornsby and The Range - Scenes from the Southside

Supertramp- Even in the Quietest Moments

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Cocteau Twins - Garlands

The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat

Now that's a pair of contrasting records if I ever I saw/heard one! Delicate, multi-layered washes of ethereality versus a bloody racket, as my old man used to call The Velvet Underground; I told him it was counterbalanced discord and he said, 'Well it's still sh**'. What a joker he was; it was a fool who argued with him though so I didn't bother. I love them both by the way, jimbo.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
jimbofisher said:
Cocteau Twins - Garlands

Now that's a pair of contrasting records if I ever I saw/heard one! Delicate, multi-layered washes of ethereality versus a bloody racket, as my old man used to call The Velvet Underground; I told him it was counterbalanced discord and he said, 'Well it's still sh**'. What a joker he was; it was a fool who argued with him though so I didn't bother. I love them both by the way, jimbo.

so do I Jim. They are contrasting but sometimes that brings out the best in both. Besides I have always found Sister Ray so hypnotic. All sounding very nice with a glass or two of 12yo MacAllan!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Jim-W said:
jimbofisher said:
Cocteau Twins - Garlands

so do I Jim. They are contrasting but sometimes that brings out the best in both. Besides I have always found Sister Ray so hypnotic. All sounding very nice with a glass or two of 12yo MacAllan!

'Sister Ray' terrifies the life out of me! Always has done and always will. 'The Gift' is not far behind it either in the terrifying stakes. Great record though. 12 yo MacCallan..oh now that sounds nice; I'm a scotch fan too but I've only got Grant's Family Reserve, cheap from Sainsburys at the moment! I'm such a cheapskate. Enjoy it, jimbo. Cheers.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat (I knew I had it somewhere)

The Fall - Extricate

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
jimbofisher said:
Cocteau Twins - Garlands

*biggrin*

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I was only playing this album this morning..

Cream-Heavy-Cream---Fir-81085.jpg

.. and now I've just heard that Jack Bruce has passed away today. Very sad, a very fine musician indeed.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
jimbofisher said:

a bloody racket, as my old man used to call The Velvet Underground

Well, I played the album for the first time this morning, and I have to say that it's a highly enjoyable racket.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
As others have said, very sad news about Jack Bruce. The tributes all acknowledge his bass playing, but I think he was a very fine singer and composer: whatever, he was a great musician and a massive influence when I was growing up.

Jack Bruce: 'Songs For A Tailor'.

Cream: 'Wheels Of Fire'.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
As others have said, very sad news about Jack Bruce. The tributes all acknowledge his bass playing, but I think he was a very fine singer and composer: whatever, he was a great musician and a massive influence when I was growing up.

Jack Bruce: 'Songs For A Tailor'.

Cream: 'Wheels Of Fire'.

I couldn't agree more. He sang with such great authority. He's one of those artists that I'm ashamed to say I've overlooked, apart from his work with Cream. I will rectify that...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

ifor said:
Led Zeppelin IV

it arrived today and in case Relocated is reading, a complete absence of surface noise.

And did it sound like Led Zeppelin, or a series of 0s and 1s? *wink*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

ifor said:
Stairway to Heaven is now playing and I haven't noticed a single 1 or 0.

That's good. Music should have letters, but no numbers.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Been to Brighton today to collect some orders, so far listened to:

Oasis - (WTS) MG

Baxter Dury - It's A Pleasure

Thurston Moore - The Best Day (another racket that sounds very good indeed)

FKA twigs - EP2

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
ifor said:

That's good. Music should have notes, but no numbers.

Fixt

Music, as our old music teacher never tired of telling us, is entirely mathematical in its logic. Chords too: ie A7, flattened 5ths and sevenths, E6, G minor 7 etc. Anybody want to argue about it?
stop.gif

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
ifor said:

That's good. Music should have notes, but no numbers.

Fixt

Music, as our old music teacher never tired of telling us, is entirely mathematical in its logic. Chords too: ie A7, flattened 5ths and sevenths, E6, G minor 7 etc. Anybody want to argue about it?

They're all notes to me. Anything more just becomes a bit...analytical, spoils the magic. Of course, I understand (to a point) chord progression and scales, but I would rather not 'know' how music works, at that level.

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I have been shooting up on the vinyl this weekend. So here you have the results:

The Lurkers - Fulham Fallout & God's Lonely Men
The Jesus And Mary Chain_ -_AutomaticINXS_ -_Listen like ThievesIan Dury & Blockheads_ -_LaughterGang of Four_ -_EntertainmentSupremes_-_Baby LoveThe_Strokes_-_The_Modern_AgeThe_Strokes_-_AnglesSiouxsie_and_the_Banshees_-_StargazerSiouxsie_and_the_Banshees_-_Twice Upon a Time, The SinglesSiouxsie_and_the_Banshees_-_TinderboxSiouxsie_and_the_Banshees_-_The_ScreamSiouxsie_and_the_Banshees_-_PeepshowDead_Kennedies_-_Give_Me_Convenience_or _Give_Me_DeathU.K. Subs - Brand New AgeACDC - Back In Black Patti Smith - Wave, Twelve & BangaSqueeze_-_ArgybargyThe_Jam_-_The_Gift More to enjoy, coming swn.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts