What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 266 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thin White Rope:'In The Spanish Cave'. + 'Sack Full Of Silver'.

American Music Club: 'California'. + 'United KIngdom'.

Gotta love edgy guitar bands. Well, you don't have to but, ya know....

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:

American Music Club: 'California'. + 'United KIngdom'.

Gotta love edgy guitar bands. Well, you don't have to but, ya know....

I had Everclear and Mercury by AMC. *sorry2*

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Both great records, like anything touched by Mark Eitzel. I prefer the early stuff but it may be because I liked them from the beginning and they started to get more attention and got a major label deal which is often the death of bands or at least the beginning of the end cf REM signing with Warners and the 'Green' album which I thought was only half-decent. Corporate pressure etc.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Dusk At Cubist Castle - Olivia Tremor Control

In The Aeroplanes Over The Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel

Where The Spirit Meets The Bone - Lucinda Williams

BBB, have we talked about NMH before?. OTC always lead me to Neutral Milk Hotel, Beirut and Woods.

Dusk is still a supreme LP.

Jim,

I've just returned from the Lakes but I didn't espy Songs For My Father in mono, I'm afriad. I did however pick up a stereo copy for myself. Thanks for pointing up this wonderful music. Being a "jazz neophyte" I was immediately taken by the original incarnation of Donald Fagen's introductory riff from Rikki Don't Lose That Number.

"You've known it all the time, I'm learning it these days".

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Which led to:

Black Narcissus - Joe Henderson

The Small Group Recordings - Wes Montgomery

(including the sublime James & Wes & Mellow Mood with Jimmy Smith)

Hands on The Torch - US 3

(ejected from the turntable because it really annoyed me after 2 tracks. Although to be fair, twenty years ago this was my entry-level Blue Note primer and I loved it. Cack rap and all).

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Glad you found a copy and pleased you like it; it's ok, I've got a stereo 'Song For My Father' but it's not an original...some French pressing/French dressing (!) I think. I think there's a quote, 'genius steals' and the Steely Dan song is pretty damn blatant...it couldn't be more blatanter in fact! Who cares? We get the beautiful 'Song For My Father' and the lovely pop song that is 'Rikki Don't Lose That Number.' Yes, the first time I heard the opening bass intro of 'Song For My Father' I couldn't help smiling; 'Pretzel Logic' has a few jazz 'tributes': along with the opening of 'Rikki', there's Ellington's 'East St Louis Toodle-Oo' and 'Parker's Band.' Thinking about it, 'Pretzel Logic' is a damn fine lp.

Funny, I've actually got an original sleeve of 'Song For My Father'; I found it in a charity shop, rushed home in an excited state to play it but it wasn't 'Song For My Father' inside the sleeve; it was 'The Jody Gind', another very fine Horace Silver record but, unfortunately, it's scratched to death. If I play it I have to change the stylus...I've got loads of battered styli so it's ok.

A great record with Horace Silver as sideman is 'Sonny Rollins Vol 2' on Blue Note; I think Monk takes over on piano on two tracks, but it's Rollins' tenor that is just amazing: powerful, meaty, dramatic lines and an endless stream of melodic ideas. One of my favourite records: it's no doubt on youtube. Check it out, man, innit.

Captain Sensible

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Peter Gabriel 25th anniversary ‘SO’ mastered at half seed which really is a joy over the original , can you imagine deeper bass than the original which had good bass anyway.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Jim-W said:

I was going to play 'Exploring the Axis' the other day but forgot. Now you've reminded me, I will play it tomorrow. Love that album. 'Something affected him down in the desert' indeed.

BoobTube links for anyone interested: Soundtrack / Down in the Desert

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Go Feet is a reissue too

It's listed in Discogs as the original UK release. It's marked as a reissue because Discogs' policy is that a first release in a different country is marked as a reissue if it was released more than 18 months after the original. But it's good enough for me, as a) I can afford it and probably not the Jamaican original, and b) the Jamaican pressing is likely not to be so good in any case. I'm sure your B&F remaster knocks the socks off mine, but it was also a lot more pricey.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
51tJYd1ym3L._SY450_PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg
Listening to it on Spotify. Although it's had rave reviews, I'm not sold but hopefully it will grow on me whilst I wait for the vinyl to arrive... Machne Head's latest offering
91StuAKxQqL._SL1417_.jpg
is soon to follow on pre-order in early November. Still nothing beats their debut offering Burn my Eyes though...

Captain Sensible

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Luckylion - Bought it on Amazon from one of the dealers £75 still expensive however you are getting DVD''s live shows - documentry -Cd's bonus vinyl with extra tracks. It's aimed at the fans no doubt. Have got the original new version defiantly beats it for sound quality , definition separation and then that bass sounds much louder deeper but not in the loudness war sense.

Like a bit of rock so will have a listen to Slipnote ' s debut album as I have not heard that.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

After the Lamb album, I went for Massive Attack-Mezzanine and then Tappa Zukie-In Dub, though I'll be honest, I wasn't actually playing the vinyl.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
+1 for 'Mezzanine'

I'd like the vinyl, but I'm not prepared to spend the sort of money that it's fetching on it. The annoying thing is that I could probably have blagged a free copy of the vinyl, as I was a music buyer for an export company at the time of it's release, and I got on well with the guy from Virgin.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Stupid prices which you don't need to pay. I'll ask my record bloke if he's got one for you. I'm seeing him on Saturday. Actually, I need one too!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
Stupid prices which you don't need to pay. I'll ask my record bloke if he's got one for you. I'm seeing him on Saturday. Actually, I need one too!

Thanks Jim, if they're reasonable I'd be interested, but I wouldn't want to pay too much as I do have the CD.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely love the So album, so definitely one for the future but that would surpass my biggest outlay for vinyl by quite some margin. Got a hit list of 50 of so must have albums that are proving fairly expensive and I constantly find myself gettiing sidetracked by all manor of other records. But if it's as good as you report, a definite must have!

I enjoy early Slipknot more than the later stuff, same with Machine Head.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It's ok, BBB, I'd just post the price on here if I found one....looks like they're getting a bit scarce though. We all ought to buy each other a record for Christmas....'I'd like Vashti Bunyan's 'Just Another Diamond Day' please. No, not the reissue!

Sonny Rollins is often overlooked and underrated so I've given him my full attention today:

Sonny Rollins-'Saxophone Colossus'. Big, powerful and endless melodic invention. Lovely.

Sonny Rollins-'The Bridge.' Jim Hall on guitar. Great empathy and Sonny is big and warm as usual.

Sonny Rollins-'Freedom Suite'. More political and a bit freer. Not really 'out there' though.

Sonny Rollins with Coleman Hawkins-'Sonny Meets Hawk'. Hawk pushes his solos 'out there' but not too 'out there' on this. It's a terrific meeting of giants.

Sonny Rollins- 'Vol 2'. Blue Note. Brilliant record. 2 tracks with Monk on piano. My fave Sonny record.

I read a lovely thing about Thelonious Monk today; Bud Powell, the great pianist, often suffered with mental difficulties which made him somewhat vulnerable and, apparently, Monk would always jump in and protect him if there was any trouble, even when Bud had done something a bit daft. Gotta love Monk. In the end kindness to others is what it's all about. Not always easy though. :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'd be interested in what sort of price your man can do Mezzanine for, and I'm sure it's agreat sounding record.

I'm not even going to look for that Bunyan album Jim, we're not all on a Teacher's pension you know. *blum3*

I'm guessing with all that Sonny Rollins, you didn't have time for Doris?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Sorry BBB, I haven't had time and now I'm watching 'Question Time', booing the Tory and cheering Len McCluskey.

I think the Vashti Bnyan would reach £1, 000+ these days. I've got a reissue, but it's never the same is it?

Teacher's pensions....so now I have to choose betwwen eating and buying records. I don't need to tell you that I'm often hungry!

Nah, not really, but I have cut down on record-buying dramatically. I deliberately don't go to places where there might be boxes of lps these days. Well, I try not to but my bike knows the way and so we often end up where we shouldn't. Oh well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts