What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 361 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Been listening to Verve - A Storm In Heaven. I saw them a few times in '92/'93, and my exact thoughts at the time, were that they were the future of music. Honestly, I've said it here before, but 'Gravity Grave' at Glastonbury '93 elevated me from the ground, it was a mind blowing experience, and I can't think of anything since that has had the same physical reaction.

What happened to them? Why the f*** did Richard Ashcroft take over all the songwriting duties, and suddenly believe he could write 'songs'? I blame Oasis, that f***ing idiot Noel Gallagher for inspiring Richard Ashcroft to write acoustic b******s, and selling out to the devil of popularism. No wonder Nick McCabe fell out of love with Verve.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
How about, based on the stations locale - 'Little Milton Radio' or 'Songs in the Keynes Of Life' ?

Now playing

F4D237C2-8311-49C6-BA12-0F9BFC9929A4_zpsohdprow1.jpg

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Or how about

'I Hear Voices' ( stolen from Robert Calvert LP "Test Tube Conceived" ) or 'Song & Legend' ( stolen from Sex Gang Children ) or, if you like, from the same album 'The Crack Up'.

Now playing

91BCAC67-B2E8-4D42-A4AB-DADE5B224194_zpsm5kor3bi.jpg

Still trying to get into this strange album.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Wreckless Eric: 'The Wonderful World Of Wreckless Eric'. The usual green vinyl one. Love this. All of his records are damn fine.

Talk Talk: 'The Colour Of Spring'. Finally bought this after thinking it would be too poppy; I was wrong, it's beautiful.

The Juliana HatfieldThree: 'Become What You Are'. An old fave.

Various Artists: 'Doing It For The Kids' Creation Records Sampler. Some great stuff on this.

Various Artists: 'Reggae Chartbusters'. Trojan Records.

Michael Chapman: 'Life On The Ceiling'.

The Grateful Dead: 'American Beauty'.

+ a 12":

Ian McNabb: 'You Must Be Prepared To Dream'. (With Crazy Horse)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

NMANo1 said:
How about, based on the stations locale -

'Little Milton Radio' or 'Songs in the Keynes Of Life' ?

I'm afraid you're gonna have to try a little harder. *wink*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Talk Talk: 'The Colour Of Spring'. Finally bought this after thinking it would be too poppy; I was wrong, it's beautiful.

It's a corker, Jim. The album before, 'It's My Life' has some good moments too, but it's not in the same league, and the first album, well, it's.....it's, an album, but not necessarily a good one.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:

It's a corker, Jim. The album before, 'It's My Life' has some good moments too, but it's not in the same league, and the first album, well, it's.....it's, an album, but not necessarily a good one.

Yes, it's of a piece with the later albums rather than in the vein of the first two records; that was the mistake that I initially made. I've played it 4 times today and it's now my favourite record....'til tomorrow. Anyway, I owe the people who kept putting it on their playlista a couple of drinks...including you, BBB.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Jim_W said:

I agree with BBB & your own verdict. Beautiful is how I would describe this LP.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I had a meeting today with the station manager, and it looks likely that I'll be doing a show once a week, playing whatever I want. *wacko*

I've also got to think of a name for the show, but nothing original is coming to mind.

Big Bern's Bumper Boogie Bonanza.

You know it makes sense.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I had a meeting today with the station manager, and it looks likely that I'll be doing a show once a week, playing whatever I want. *wacko*

I've also got to think of a name for the show, but nothing original is coming to mind.

You know it makes sense.

Eclectadelica

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:

You know it makes sense.

I'm unsure............ummmmmmmmmm........ No or f*** off? No or f*** off? ummmmmmm...........NO! *wink*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm unsure............ummmmmmmmmm........ No or f*** off? No or f*** off? ummmmmmm...........NO! *wink*

Very diplomatic of you, sir!

How about 'Bits 'n' Pieces', suggesting an esoteric mix without sounding too serious.

There's a track by Pram called 'Loose Threads', which sounds like an idea.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts