What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 360 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Tom Waits - "Big Time" LP (1988)

Excellent performance, excellent vinyl sound & excellent, if mental, track list. Gotta love mad mental Tom.

P.S. Saw the movie 'Seven Psychopaths' last week & guess who was playing the bunny rabbit carrying Psycho No6 ? Our man Tom !.....Possibly perfect casting ?

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
NMANo1 said:
The Ruts - "Grin & Bear It" (1980)

I've never bought it, and not sure if I've ever seen a copy, though I do know quite a few of the tracks.

It's on my ever growing list of albums to buy.

Its without doubt worth having, some absolute top tracks on it & the vinyl sounds pretty good. Includes another, aside the incredible 'Jah War', (slightly tongue in cheek) reggae tune 'Love In Vain' featuring a fantastic harmonica solo ! You try & tell the kids today but....

Put me in the mood for...

Steel Pulse - "Handsworth Revolution" LP (1978)

Bob Marley & The Wailers - "Kaya" LP (1978)

Jimmy Cliff - "Best of..." 2LP (1975)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

knaithrover said:
Captain Beefheart - Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller)

Stunning album especially the title track which I'm totally in awe of.

Just treated myself to a copy of this.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

knaithrover said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:

Up there wjth Clear Spot and his debut as my favourite Beefheart albums did you buy new or 2nd hand?

2nd hand Virgin reissue from 1985, NM/NM.

I only have 2 Beefheart albums, 'Safe As Milk' (the Simply Vinyl reissue with an extra LP of bonus tracks), and 'Ice Cream For Crow' (1st UK pressing).

I'd sold a few CDs, so I was looking for something to buy, saw you'd played it, and thought, why not.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:

Up there wjth Clear Spot and his debut as my favourite Beefheart albums did you buy new or 2nd hand?

2nd hand Virgin reissue from 1985, NM/NM.

I only have 2 Beefheart albums, 'Safe As Milk' (the Simply Vinyl reissue with an extra LP of bonus tracks), and 'Ice Cream For Crow' (1st UK pressing).

I'd sold a few CDs, so I was looking for something to buy, saw you'd played it, and thought, why not.

I have most of them on vinyl, the pick was an original 67' Safe as Milk which went missing in the late 90's around the time I used to have a lot of 'ahem' questionable people back to mine for parties. I have a new 180g version now.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
a couple of 12 inch singles:

Belly: 'Gepetto'.

Scott 4: 'Your Kingdom To Dust'.

+

'Fire Escape In The Sky: the godlike genius of Scott Walker'. Zoo Records.

Bill Evans Trio: 'Explorations'.

Santana: 'Third Album'.

Lightnin' Hopkins: 'The King Of The Blues'.

Humble Pie: 'As Safe As Yesterday Is'.

Sly & Robbie: 'A Dub Experience'.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:

That's the Julian Cope one, isn't it, Jim?

Is it as good as they say?

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:

Yes, BBB, it's the Julian Cope one; I think it's good because it's a very good track selection and the sound quality is impressive. All in all, an excellent Scott Walker sampler, but I think you need the orignal albums if you become addicted to Scott. I'd forgotten I'd got it so it was nice to listen to it again. 'Scott 4' is really essential in my opinion, but I like all of his records.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:

Yes, BBB, it's the Julian Cope one; I think it's good because it's a very good track selection and the sound quality is impressive. All in all, an excellent Scott Walker sampler, but I think you need the orignal albums if you become addicted to Scott. I'd forgotten I'd got it so it was nice to listen to it again. 'Scott 4' is really essential in my opinion, but I like all of his records.

Scott 3 is my fave. Essential listening. 4 is a very very close second in my affections.

As you've mentioned Julian Cope i'm giving 'Peggy Suicide' a spin. Big big album for me in the early 90's

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:

I know that it's quite a sort after compilation, and quite valuable. I've never seen a copy, let alone owned one.

I've said before, I'm always on the lookout for a reasonably priced Scott 4, and I have a feeling, one day, I'll find one for not very much at all.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim_W said:

I know that it's quite a sort after compilation, and quite valuable. I've never seen a copy, let alone owned one.

I've said before, I'm always on the lookout for a reasonably priced Scott 4, and I have a feeling, one day, I'll find one for not very much at all.

I haven't seen copies of 'Fire Escape' or 'Scott 4' for quite a while now; Scott 1, 2 and 3' are much more common.

Have you heard from Charlie?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
Have you heard from Charlie?

I did send him a direct email a few days ago, but when I didn't get a reply, I checked, and the email address I had was his work one, which would explain why I didn't get a reply.

He did look in recently, but didn't post anything. I hope he's ok.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
6CE2977F-3DAC-42E3-A0D8-F8475BFFBDA5_zps1bqb9ckm.jpg
84909ED0-C6B0-4DCF-BF6D-226C6546A6D3_zps3blt2goo.jpg

Tried to get a early night tonight but just wasn't happening...again.

Sometimes these help for me.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I've very recently been asked to do a community radio show

I had a meeting today with the station manager, and it looks likely that I'll be doing a show once a week, playing whatever I want. *wacko*

It's still unclear when the station will be up and running again, as the new building they have is in need of quite a lot of work, and they're struggling for funds to get all the work done. http://crmk.co.uk/

They have a crowdfunding page here, but as anyone else got any ideas about raising some money quite quickly?

I've also got to think of a name for the show, but nothing original is coming to mind.

Adventures In Stereo

Hypnotherapy

Sonic Adventures

All pretty crap, I'm sure you'll agree. Actually, I like the first one, but there was a band called Adventures In Stereo in the 90s, and I think there a record label with that name now, so I'm not sure I can use it.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I've very recently been asked to do a community radio show

I will try three guesses as to which show could have been yours from the existing lineup:

1 - The 70s Album Show

2 - Between Two Worlds[/b]

3 - DJ Paul Harris

But if yours is a new slot, then it almost seems like a replacement of DJ Paul Harris.

Regarding names, if you used 'Adventures in Stereo', then it would exclude the early Beatles releases, and some of the early jazz classics.

Thinking of the Beatles, has inspired a thought that you could adapt 'Magical Mystery Tour' [/i]

to 'Musical Mystery Tour' . That leaves you free to lead your listeners along a route through any genre/band/era/etc as you see fit each week.

To raise money, you could invite listeners to suggest and sponsor the 'theme' for a particular week - but make sure that the theme is not a particular band (that is too easy), but rather an era/year/genre/country/etc. Just an idea for starters.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
I will try three guesses as to which show could have been yours from the existing lineup:

1 - The 70s Album Show

2 - Between Two Worlds

3 - DJ Paul Harris

But if yours is a new slot, then it almost seems like a replacement of DJ Paul Harris.

Regarding names, if you used 'Adventures in Stereo', then it would exclude the early Beatles releases, and some of the early jazz classics.

Thinking of the Beatles, has inspired a thought that you could adapt 'Magical Mystery Tour'

to 'Musical Mystery Tour' . That leaves you free to lead your listeners along a route through any genre/band/era/etc as you see fit each week.

To raise money, you could invite listeners to suggest and sponsor the 'theme' for a particular week - but make sure that the theme is not a particular band (that is too easy), but rather an era/year/genre/country/etc. Just an idea for starters.

Those are all going to be new shows (including Paul Harris), so nothing to do with me. My show is going to be a little weirder than all of those.

I'm not sure The Beatles will get a look in to be honest, though there's a possibility of some Jazz. I think I prefer 'Adventures In Stereo' to Musical Mystery Tour', sorry Mike.

The station needs money to get on air, and I'm not sure there'll be that many listeners, to be honest, and because of the projected listener figures, advertising revenue seems quite unlikely, so it's all going to be done on a tight budget.

I've had a little idea of promoting events at a local pub/music venue, and in return they throw a bit of money our way, but it's not going to bring in much cash I'm sure.

I just like the idea of a radio station being free of any commercial pressure at all, so the presenters can play whatever they want.

Must go, it's time to laugh at Eurovision.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I had forgotten about Eurovision - anyway I would have to listen to French commentators, who lack the Wogan style.

You could try and do a show from the Students Union bar at Cranfield University - you will get music requests/suggestions by students from all around the world.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The station will be on the net, so I'll be heard all over the world, but with an average of one person per country. *biggrin*

I'm looking forward to this year's 'Bearded Lady' on Eurovision.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts