What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 359 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I was in a few different Our Price's when I was in London (Kingston/Wimbledon/Croydon), which one did you work in?

Ah, I was out in the sticks. It was my first job after I left school. I didn't manage to keep it that long! (Bit unruly in those days.) I bet my manager still hates me.

You were right, we could be twins. I've always been trouble. Bolshie, apparently. *biggrin*

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:
MrReaper182 said:
I'm listening to the fantastic album Hard times by Peter Skellern. One Mr George Harrison Plays guitar on the song Make love not war.

My parents used to play Peter Skellern constantly in the 70's, I still like 'kissing in the cactus' due to their brainwashing.....

Peter Skellern. Not someone I ever imagined would make this thread. *wink*

I know, very very left field in fact over the road and in another field entirely - we are all victims of our upbringings though. I'm lucky my parents loved the Beatles Stevie Wonder and Simon and Garfunkle too

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
knaithrover said:
MrReaper182 said:
I'm listening to the fantastic album Hard times by Peter Skellern. One Mr George Harrison Plays guitar on the song Make love not war.

My parents used to play Peter Skellern constantly in the 70's, I still like 'kissing in the cactus' due to their brainwashing.....

I picked up the album Hard times as a blind buy many years ago and instantly fell in love with his music. He is very underrated in my view.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
knaithrover said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:
MrReaper182 said:

I know, very very left field in fact over the road and in another field entirely - we are all victims of our upbringings though. I'm lucky my parents loved the Beatles Stevie Wonder and Simon and Garfunkle too

Why? Peter Skellern rocks and Mr George Harrison of the Beatles fame appears on the song Make love not war like I said in a another comment.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

MrReaper182 said:
knaithrover said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:
MrReaper182 said:

Why? Peter Skellern rocks

Very, very gently.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
knaithrover said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:
MrReaper182 said:

Why? Peter Skellern rocks and Mr George Harrison of the Beatles fame appears on the song Make love not war like I said in a another comment.

I'm not saying I don't like him. I do, I was just explaining why and he is left field in the context of this thread

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

He was quite popular in the 70s, as far as I remember. I was into Sweet, Punk, then The Specials in the 70s, and all before I was a teenager. Skellern didn't stand a chance.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
He was quite popular in the 70s, as far as I remember. I was into Sweet, Punk, then The Specials in the 70s, and all before I was a teenager. Skellern didn't stand a chance.

Pretty much the same for me but the subliminal influence of one's parent's taste shouldnt be underestimated

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
knaithrover said:
MrReaper182 said:
knaithrover said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:
MrReaper182 said:

I'm not saying I don't like him. I do, I was just explaining why and he is left field in the context of this thread

Sorry, my bad.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

knaithrover said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Pretty much the same for me but the subliminal influence of one's parent's taste shouldnt be underestimated

True, but in my case, my mum and dad didn't really buy any records, so the only music I heard was on the radio. Me and my brother used to record songs from the top 40 show on a Sunday, and I think I bought my first record in 1979.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

True, but in my case, my mum and dad didn't really buy any records, so the only music I heard was on the radio. Me and my brother used to record songs from the top 40 show on a Sunday, and I think I bought my first record in 1979.

My Dad had some awesome singles 'Autumn Almanac' by the Kinks, 'I can see for miles' The Oo, 'Get off my Cloud' 'Peggy Sue' and many more (he had a mate with a pub and used to get the cast off from the jukebox) i played them to death before I started buying my own stuff. Invaluable Influence.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

knaithrover said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

My Dad had some awesome singles 'Autumn Almanac' by the Kinks, 'I can see for miles' The Oo, 'Get off my Cloud' 'Peggy Sue' and many more (he had a mate with a pub and used to get the cast off from the jukebox) i played them to death before I started buying my own stuff. Invaluable Influence.

It's weird, my dad loves music, but he just didn't buy any records. I asked him a few weeks ago, and he said it was just down to financial priorities, they didn't have much spare cash, so records didn't get a look in. He's now got over 400, mainly Jazz.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Now playing:

The Ruts - The Crack

The best Punk album ever? I think so.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

knaithrover said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Now playing:

The Ruts - The Crack

I have it too brilliant album haven't played it in ages nice cover. Clash's 1st is probably my fave and the one from early punk I still play a lot

I like the first Clash album, but it's a great collection of songs, rather than a great album IMO.

I was going to write some other stuff about The Clash, but as your probably a big fan, I decided not to. To briefly summarise though, I'm not a fan.

I've just been told to turn the laptop off, gotta watch the X-Files. *secret*

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
knaithrover said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Now playing:

The Ruts - The Crack

I have it too brilliant album haven't played it in ages nice cover. Clash's 1st is probably my fave and the one from early punk I still play a lot

I like the first Clash album, but it's a great collection of songs, rather than a great album IMO.

I was going to write some other stuff about The Clash, but as your probably a big fan, I decided not to. To briefly summarise though, I'm not a fan.

I've just been told to turn the laptop off, gotta watch the X-Files. *secret*

Say what you like BBB I'm not that big a fan now and even if I was I'm not the sort who takes criticism of an artist I like as some kind of personal affront. I'm off to dig out that Ruts album....

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Now playing:

The Ruts - The Crack

Got to be one of the best punk albums & one of the most underrated bands of the day. Wept like a ( well I was ) a child when I read of Malcolm Owens premature death. P.S. The second, posthumous, album "Grin & Bear it" has some fantastic tunes also.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Probably the best UK punk album in the last 30years...

Leatherface - "Mush" LP (1991) Incidentally, bit of a rarity & worth quite a few bob!

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Live - "Throwing Copper" CD (1994). Superb debut album.

Saw them 'live' touring the following album "Secret Samadhi" at the Glasgow Barrowlands a couple of years later & they were outstanding. Powerful AF, band was super tight & his vocals were spot on. Bit of a toss pot tho !

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to BBB for reminding me why I've always loved them.

The Ruts - "The Crack" LP ( 1979)

The Ruts - "Grin & Bear It" (1980)

Awesome. The Ruts were labelled punk & at the time they probably were but I think most folks don't realise what top musicians they were & how melodic the songs were. Way powerful but always melodic. At the time, apart from The Wailers & Steel Pulse, it was they're rare ventures into reggae that made me sit up & take notice of a new genre of music.

Class is timeless.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

NMANo1 said:
The Ruts - "Grin & Bear It" (1980)

I've never bought it, and not sure if I've ever seen a copy, though I do know quite a few of the tracks.

It's on my ever growing list of albums to buy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts