What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 340 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Charlie, I hope things work out soon for you. Feel free to let your feelings out on here, it's one of the great things about this part of the forum, everyone is friendly, no real arguments, people willing to offer advice and people willing to take it.

Israel Nash - Israel Nash's Silver Season (was likened to Neil Young and it is but with a bit of Steve Earle)

Working my way through Kamasi Washington's The Epic. It is epic, lovely package plus wav download.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Charlie, I hope things work out soon for you. Feel free to let your feelings out on here, it's one of the great things about this part of the forum, everyone is friendly, no real arguments, people willing to offer advice and people willing to take it.

Israel Nash - Israel Nash's Silver Season (was likened to Neil Young and it is but with a bit of Steve Earle)

Working my way through Kamasi Washington's The Epic. It is epic, lovely package plus wav download.

Thanks Jimbo,

This forum is pretty open minded it seems, and it's good to post things knowing that.

How are you finding Kemasi's opus??

Not heard of Israel Nash, may have to investigate.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
As if to exemplify those "green shoots", today I went job hunting and er, vinyl looking. You can probably guess which was more successful.

I take it your speculative application to purchase some vinyl was accepted?

Yes, for some strange reason I have a high strike rate of success in these ventures.

(As posted above, Deodato, Miles Davis and a Renaissance Music compilation).

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
thescarletpronster said:
Miles Davis – Kind of Blue (from that new mag, and sounds surprisingly good!)

Ditto

I had a little noise on the last track for a couple of revolutions, but whether that will be enough for me to drive to Asda and deal with their Customer Services is another matter.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Now playing:

John Coltrane - Coltrane Jazz

john-coltrane-61-coltrane-jazz-f20.jpg

And I'm really enjoying it. *dirol*

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Now playing:

Good to get away from the usual Coltrane suspects; this is a great record and one of my favourites. Often forgotten, I think, amongst the other 5* lps.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim_W said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Now playing:

Good to get away from the usual Coltrane suspects; this is a great record and one of my favourites. Often forgotten, I think, amongst the other 5* lps.

I've had it for a few years (I think), and I hadn't really given it a fair spin, but after listening to his work on 'Kind Of Blue', I quite fancied it.

It's something of a hidden gem.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Strange day - may elaborate at a later date - but suffice to say there's only been three songs today that really mattered. So on repeat, more or less all day, and enjoyably so:

April 5th - Talk Talk (The Colour Of Spring)

No Way Down - The Shins (Port of Morrow)

and most spendidly of all

Spiral - composed by Stockhausen and here performed by the London Sinfonietta

(Warp Works and Modern Masters).

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
Strange day - may elaborate at a later date - but suffice to say there's only been three songs today that really mattered. So on repeat, more or less all day, and enjoyably so:

April 5th - Talk Talk (The Colour Of Spring)

No Way Down - The Shins (Port of Morrow)

and most spendidly of all

Spiral - composed by Stockhausen and here performed by the London Sinfonietta

(Warp Works and Modern Masters).

We're always here.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I discovered this on the net, and it's definitely worth reading, very interesting.

http://thequietus.com/articles/06963-talk-talk-laughing-stock

That was a good read. Quite inspirational.

Thanks BBB.

The source of my dismay yesterday concerns my former employer (a school!) claiming a play I wrote, and would like to send off to interested parties, is actually their property. My Union rep is wrangling with them, and has counselled me to not fire off venomous emails.

I'm not claiming the play would make West End millions but it does belong to me & I want to hawk it around to a couple of possible buyers.

Anyway, I've got it out there now.

Today's soundtrack as I pace about and dream up duologues between me and my ex-boss is:

Wincing The Night Away - The Shins

A masterpiece of the pop form, with enough deviant twists to keep it intriguing and a whole heap of baffling poetics to sing along to. James Mercer in full melodic mode.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Firstly, Charlie's play. Nothing surprises me about that situation. I was NUT rep for a few years and intellectual property theft, whilst not common, did loosely underpin some disputes. Don't get in touch with anybody, Charlie...let the Union represent you. That way you do nothing wrong.

Secondly, Talk Talk. Great article, BBB, if rather long!!! 'Spirit Of Eden' and 'Laughing Stock' are overwhelmingly, even shockingly beautiful records. I've used them both as therapy! Many times.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim_W said:
Firstly, Charlie's play. Nothing surprises me about that situation. I was NUT rep for a few years and intellectual property theft, whilst not common, did loosely underpin some disputes. Don't get in touch with anybody, Charlie...let the Union represent you. That way you do nothing wrong.

Secondly, Talk Talk. Great article, BBB, if rather long!!! 'Spirit Of Eden' and 'Laughing Stock' are overwhelmingly, even shockingly beautiful records. I've used them both as therapy! Many times.

Yes Jim, I've got a good guy from NUT HQ in Doncaster dealing with it.

He says he will have an outcome tomorrow, hopefully.

Yes also to your Mark Hollis and co appreciation. Cf April 5th on Colour Of Spring and his solo LP. All entrancing and mysteriously beautiful.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
As I think I've said before, I'm not that keen on earlier Talk Talk, but Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are two absolutely stunning albums. So, after this morning's discussion I simply had to play:

Talk Talk – Laughing Stock

I was tempted to move from the sublime to the ridiculous, but instead went for

McCoy Tyner – Song for My Lady

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Grateful Dead: 'Anthem Of The Sun'.

Canned Heat: 'Cookbook'.

John Mayall: 'Looking Back'.

'John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton'.

John Mayall: 'Crusade'. The one with an 18 year-old Mick Taylor.

Ornette Coleman: 'Something Else!!!!'.

Sonny Rollins: 'The Bridge'.

Sonny Rollins: 'Volume 1' + 'Volune 2'. Blue Note. Volume 2 is highly recommended.

John Coltrane: 'Africa/Brass'.

Gil Evans Band: 'Out Of The Cool'. Robert Wyatt's favourite record...apparently.

Tomorrow, I'm going to fetch a load of early Elvis Costello down; been on my mind all day for some reason. I need to get a life.

Old Dex

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
"In Search Of The Lost Chord". Found in a junk shop for £8. The cover is quite scuffed but the vinyl is immaculate. Only saw them live once but what a show! Ray Thomas's last tour before retiring.

Stand out track for me is "Ride My See-saw".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts