What to upgrade to for better sound?

The Fat Priest

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I suppose it depends on what I mean by "better sound" but that's a difficult one to answer...

I have a relatively old set up which I use to stream music from my PC where all my files are FLACS. From there the music goes (via JRiver MC) to one or other old Marantz music centre - a 510 or a 610, each connected to a pair of QAcoustic standmounted speakers - 3010 for the 510 and 3020 for the 610.

I would like in particular to get "better sound" for where the 610 is. But what would be the best way, assuming I want to spend upto maybe £1000?

There's the Marantz PM7000N, just a straight swap with the 610, which would then swap with the 510.

Or maybe change the speakers as well in one go, and go for the KEF LSX?

Or maybe a Bluesound Node and an amp of some description, sticking with the 3020 speakers?

I basically have no idea which way to go, and any opinions (rather than advice of course!) would be welcome. On these options or any others. I have enjoyed listening to John Darko's youtube channel, and from there I think that what I might mean by "better sound" is something an audiophile might describe as more "musical" than - what's the other word? - "transparent", is it? I am not an audiophile, I don't really care about how many gigatwangs you might get per second from a doped paper cone. But I love music, especially songs, and would really like to invite the singers into my living room for tea, you know.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone might have.

Phillip

Tinman1952

Hello,

I suppose it depends on what I mean by "better sound" but that's a difficult one to answer...

I have a relatively old set up which I use to stream music from my PC where all my files are FLACS. From there the music goes (via JRiver MC) to one or other old Marantz music centre - a 510 or a 610, each connected to a pair of QAcoustic standmounted speakers - 3010 for the 510 and 3020 for the 610.

I would like in particular to get "better sound" for where the 610 is. But what would be the best way, assuming I want to spend upto maybe £1000?

There's the Marantz PM7000N, just a straight swap with the 610, which would then swap with the 510.

Or maybe change the speakers as well in one go, and go for the KEF LSX?

Or maybe a Bluesound Node and an amp of some description, sticking with the 3020 speakers?

I basically have no idea which way to go, and any opinions (rather than advice of course!) would be welcome. On these options or any others. I have enjoyed listening to John Darko's youtube channel, and from there I think that what I might mean by "better sound" is something an audiophile might describe as more "musical" than - what's the other word? - "transparent", is it? I am not an audiophile, I don't really care about how many gigatwangs you might get per second from a doped paper cone. But I love music, especially songs, and would really like to invite the singers into my living room for tea, you know.

Thanks for any thoughts anyone might have.

Phillip
Hi. I assume you are referring to the Marantz 'Melody' MCR units? Are you sending the music over your network? Hopefully you are not using the analogue out of your PC.

Tinman1952

Yes, it's all networked.
Thanks... just checking. 🙂 The 7000N is a nice piece of kit (I have seen it for £849) and would undoubtedly be a 'step up' from the 610. However the biggest change for the 'better sound' you are seeking will come from a speaker upgrade in my view. Personally I would not choose the LSX as I do not like to have 'all my eggs in one basket'... but that's just me.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts