What to Look For when Choosing Computer Speakers

scorpio187

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
HI there, I am currently shopping for computer speakers and since I am a total newb when it comes tech, I was hoping someone could help me here a bit. I have been looking around, mostly on this website and there are so many types of speakers out there, but the PROBLEM is I don't know which type I should primarily look at. Just to clarify, I am looking for SELF-POWERED speakers that I can simply connect to my laptop and use it without any hassle of buying an additl amps/dac. In terms of budget I am willing to spend no more than $2,500. I have heard some good things about KEF X300A and B&W mm-1, although I haven't heard any of them. I do like mm-1 ultra-modern sleek design though.

Like I said there are many speakers out there and when looking, I am not sure if the speakers that I may be interested in will suit my needs. How can I find out if the speaker's all built-in and does not require a DAC or AMP to run it on the laptop.

If anyone could help me here I'd greatly appreciate it.

All the best,

Damien

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Probably depends on the size of your room and whether you're sat at the PC desk or using them in a more conventional set up. I'm no expert with actives, but I bought a pair of entry level studio monitors yesterday and I'm more than happy. With your budget you could be looking at focal cms65 or even the solo's, event opal's. Somebody yesterday mentioned ATC and quested monitors, but this side of the pond, they are quite hefty in price.

Ultimately your ears will tell you what you like, but if you have a music store nearby, take some music in on a flash drive and get a demo

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I'm going to break the habit and make a suggestion for once. The AVI ADM9 RS speakers seem to havre everything you want, and I think they're in budget. You sre talking about dollars of course, which indicates you may be some way away from the manufactures, and they do not have many dealers, though I don't know the situation with overseas dealers.

I must declare that I have never heard this particular model. Anyway, give them a look, or don't. Happy hunting.

http://www.avihifi.co.uk/index.html

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
As always in these matters it depends what your requirements and expectations are.

Firstly, if you are running from a laptop I presume you are outputting via usb, but if you have other options, it would be good to know.

Secondly, if you really want to avoid any other boxes, specifically dacs, then your choice is limited to those speakers with onboard processors and that limits your choice significantly.

If you are going this route, then Kef and Adam Artist models offer plug and play usb solutions for around £600, above that level most studio type speakers do not have onboard dacs until you get to the higher price levels,

For an idea of what is possible, if somewhat over budget, try......

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/products/professional/active/twotwo5

In many respects the obvious choice is the AVI ADM9rs, multiple digital inputs on toslink and a stereo analogue input gives flexibility enough but will not provide for everyone. Sound quality is excellent, though these are serious speakers and need treating as such in terms of support and positioning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts