What to look for in dvd player

tom2b

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Some advice would be appreciated. I have several DVD's which I cant play on my DVD player~it gives me some error message about PAL not'reading' . I understand that this may be something to do with'regions',and the fact that my player cant'read'the DVD . As I would like to get DVD's from the USA, for example, I would like to know if there are any DVD players(Not Blu ray!)that play all DVD's.. I know the reviews mention PAL scan,NTS and such like,but these terms mean little to me...grateful for help :)

John Duncan

Hi Tom2b, and welcome to the forum. US DVDs at region 1 and are in the NTSC format, whilst UK ones are region 2 and play in the PAL format, so you need a DVD player which can do both. Now practically all will out of the box, either through an included hardware modification or a hack through a code on your remote. Which player have you got, maybe you just need to enter a remote code to get it to play region free...

tom2b

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for reply/advice~Should have included details of my DVD player: Toshiba SD-220EB. Handbook indicates it is region2 playback only.. To clarify your advice, if I were to buy a new player, checking onsite for the tech spec and it indicates PAL and NTSC prog scan~this would cover all bases..?

John Duncan

Whilst the manual *has* to say that, I'd be very surprised if anybody in the uk would sell a player that hadn't been hardware modded or had a remote hack. A quick google suggests the Tosh ha a hardware mod, and from your description I think you may have the player set to PAL only - somewhere iny the picture menus there should be an option to change from 'PA'L to 'NTSC' or 'AUTO' - can you take a look and see if you can change it to 'AUTO', that should fix it. You have to have no disc in, apparently...

tom2b

May 7, 2012
Visit site
John,

Spot on...... With DVD in,the format can be changed to AUTO~and it is now playing what it hasnt been playing previously

Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts