What to look for in a *used* turntable for under £100?

Weetabix999

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi - I'm looking on Ebay for a turntable.

I have a Vintage Marantz 30 watt amp and some new Mordaunt Short M10 speakers.

What exactly is it that I'm looking for in a turnable?

Belt drive....direct drive etc?....I've heard that cheap ones damage your vinyl....don't want that obviously!

Thanks.

Weetabix999 said:
Hi - I'm looking on Ebay for a turntable.

I have a Vintage Marantz 30 watt amp and some new Mordaunt Short M10 speakers.

What exactly is it that I'm looking for in a turnable?

Belt drive....direct drive etc?....I've heard that cheap ones damage your vinyl....don't want that obviously!

Thanks.

To be strictly honest if you don't know what you are looking at then you shouldn't be doing it on eBay.

Why do you need one, sounds like you already own some vinyl, and what's your budget?

Which Marantz amp? I assume it has a phono input as you state 'vintage'

Weetabix999

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
THis is the thing - I need to know what I'm looking 'for'?....what makes a cheap turntable different from an expensive one?

I seem to like the 'look' of vintage Technics (not the SL 1200 series) - I've read that they can be 'upgraged' if you buy different cartridges? But how would that make them better?

My budget is no more that £50 ideally, as I'm gonna have to spend a 20 on postage.....

Weetabix999 said:
THis is the thing - I need to know what I'm looking 'for'?....what makes a cheap turntable different from an expensive one?

I seem to like the 'look' of vintage Technics (not the SL 1200 series) - I've read that they can be 'upgraged' if you buy different cartridges? But how would that make them better?

My budget is no more that £50 ideally, as I'm gonna have to spend a 20 on postage.....

Do you already own vinyl then?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts