Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
I want to build a decent system for listening but can't afford all the components now. My first option is choosing from 4 stereo amps: cambridge cxa60, onkyo tx8150, onkyo A9010 and marantz pm6006 and buying budget speakers (wharfedale diamond 220). If I do this, which amp would probably give the best sound? All got 5 star reviews. I'm looking at the 8150 for the features but will it give the best sound?

Another option is to buy the onkyo A9030 (cheap and old, 4 stars) and pair it with either the dynaudio emit m10 or b&w 685s2. Is this wise, and which speaker will I choose if I go this way?

Now what if theoretically I can afford any of the amps and speakers I mentioned, which amp and speaker pair will give the best sound and value for money?

insider9

Best value for money will be in the second hand market. Lots of decent amps and speakers. For the price of just a new amp you could quite possibly get a better second hand amp and speakers as well.

There's lots of factors to consider but your musical taste and room dimensions/decor will play a big part.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Hard to say what the best is, but there are loads of great options.

From your list it would be the onkyo 8150. I would also consider the marantz pm6005, as it is the predecessor of the PM6006 with very little difference, but a big difference in price at the moment while it is still available.

I recently bought the Monitor Audio a100, and though as far as I am aware it is not available anymore it made me realise how handy it is when your amp has wifi/dnla compatability, which is fantastic as long as the amp sound quality is not compromised. With just speakers and a laptop or pc (assuming you already have one) you have a lot of options before you even consider another source

There is a Yamaha RN602 available which is very similar is spec at least, to trhe Onkyo 8150. I have not seen many reviews but those who own it seem to be impressed, but it is available for quite a bit less than it's initial release price. It might also be worth a look

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the advice so far.

One problem for these items where I've read the reviews, there's the psychological effect that they should sound good since they got 5 stars. So that has an effect when auditioning. Another problem with auditioning is not all my options are in one store so it's hard to compare unless the differences are so big. The reason I'm asking your opinions here is on the chance that some of you might own some of the equipment I'm considering.

Added info: I'm going to set it up in a 17x13 ft room with concrete walls and rocksheet ceiling 8 ft high. Music: U2, coldplay, dire straits, toto, duranduran, def leppard, van halen, calvin harris, one republic, david guetta, lana del rey, beethoven, lizst, mozart, handel, grp jazz of the 90s. I've recently found time to listen loud again and I'm coming from yamaha receivers and jamo speakers from 20 years ago.

rainsoothe

Hi. You should have Arcam A19 on your list, since you can find it for 500 pounds. I don't know if the difference in sound will be worth it for you at the expense of features, but do audition it nevertheless.

James Molina said:
I want to build a decent system for listening but can't afford all the components now. My first option is choosing from 4 stereo amps: cambridge cxa60, onkyo tx8150, onkyo A9010 and marantz pm6006 and buying budget speakers (wharfedale diamond 220). If I do this, which amp would probably give the best sound? All got 5 star reviews. I'm looking at the 8150 for the features but will it give the best sound?

Another option is to buy the onkyo A9030 (cheap and old, 4 stars) and pair it with either the dynaudio emit m10 or b&w 685s2. Is this wise, and which speaker will I choose if I go this way?

Now what if theoretically I can afford any of the amps and speakers I mentioned, which amp and speaker pair will give the best sound and value for money?

According to recent reviews (have not heard it myself) the 8150 loses out somewhat in sound quality to the 9010, but not by much, so you probably wouldn't notice anyway.

I guess it depends on how much you value the extra facilities.

PS It doesn't really matter, sound quality wise, if someone actually owns this kit as their idea of how it sounds may not be the same as yours. Yes they can probably comment better than non-owners as to functions / foibles etc. but as for it's sound quality........ Go audition for yourself.

James Molina said:
Thanks for the advice so far.

One problem for these items where I've read the reviews, there's the psychological effect that they should sound good since they got 5 stars. So that has an effect when auditioning. Another problem with auditioning is not all my options are in one store so it's hard to compare unless the differences are so big. The reason I'm asking your opinions here is on the chance that some of you might own some of the equipment I'm considering.

Added info: I'm going to set it up in a 17x13 ft room with concrete walls and rocksheet ceiling 8 ft high. Music: U2, coldplay, dire straits, toto, duranduran, def leppard, van halen, calvin harris, one republic, david guetta, lana del rey, beethoven, lizst, mozart, handel, grp jazz of the 90s. I've recently found time to listen loud again and I'm coming from yamaha receivers and jamo speakers from 20 years ago.
Two points:-

1 Don't get hung up on stars in reviews. Everything you've listed is decent gear, and the combinations that work best for you may not suit someone else.

2. If you really cannot hear the combinations by shopping around then buy on a returnable basis, so you can try at home. It may cost a few £ more from a dealer than a warehouse, but it is well worth it.

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts