what tape cassete player to get?

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I understand that vinyl or cd's cant even come close to the sound qaulity of a tape cassette, the sound staging and dynamics are to die for with seperation not seen with cd or vinyl. Any ideas to which one i should get? my budget is £2000.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
simon3102000:

I understand that vinyl or cd's cant even come close to the sound qaulity of a tape cassette, the sound staging and dynamics are to die for with seperation not seen with cd or vinyl. Any ideas to which one i should get? my budget is £2000.
This post is three months five days too early.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
No need to spend that sort of money. Due to the superior qualities of tape cassette you'll find a Sony Walkman adequate, plus you can take it out and about with you, once you're released from the institution.

manicm

simon3102000:

I believe what you're looking for is something like a Nakamichi Dragon. The good news is they'd go for up to 600 quid. The bad news is finding one. And servicing is another issue entirely.

Alternatively you could hit a plane to Tokyo and get a Walkman. I believe Sony have just discontinued them now so you should be able to get hold of one. In fact this seems the best option - you're getting a vacation for free.

F

FunkyMonkey

Actually, this post is not as daft as it seems. Video Cassettes, because they were physically larger than audio (compact) cassettes, were renowned for amazing clarity, on the rare occassion that an exceptional piece of audio was recorded on it.

P.S. I still have all of my audio cassettes in a box - all 300 or so, plus my Yamaha separates cssette player in the loft.

May even get it out to revive old memories!

manicm

FunkyMonkey:

Actually, this post is not as daft as it seems. Video Cassettes, because they were physically larger than audio (compact) cassettes, were renowned for amazing clarity, on the rare occassion that an exceptional piece of audio was recorded on it.

P.S. I still have all of my audio cassettes in a box - all 300 or so, plus my Yamaha separates cssette player in the loft.

May even get it out to revive old memories!

My post was quite serious - 2 grand is a tidy sum. And I'd love to go to Tokyo. The Walkmans are supposed to be pretty good as well.

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Been wondering for the last few days about how good casette actually was/is. Didn't know it was that good as it's described in here. Wow!

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
lovstromp:Been wondering for the last few days about how good casette actually was/is. Didn't know it was that good as it's described in here. Wow!

A good deck, combined with decent tape (I always liked TDK SA-X, based on the usual quality/price equation!), properly calibrated and with a good quality source & appropriate recording levels could produce excellent quality recordings. My deck is a Sony TC-K661S, nowhere near Dragon territory by any means, but still a capable machine.

I occasionally play the odd tape I made years ago, and am always surprised by how good they sound, given the bad rep that cassettes have.

Maybe the OP was talking about reel to reel? I have heard reel to reel machines that were truly superb.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
After remembering about TDK SA-X tape, I just had to see if it was still, available. By the looks of it, Sadly not, but I came across a pic that made my heart skip a beat & dragged me back to my youth! I always had a little thrill of excitement when I opened one of these to make a compilation tape (usually for some indie-chick I was trying to impress with my superb
emotion-40.gif
taste in music..) or, errrrrm, an "archive copy" of a CD I'd borrowed from the library or a mate......

Although I didn't have my sony then, it was a Kenwood, donated to me by a mates dad who had upgraded.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
If you want the best, you bould probably get a Nakamichi Dragon for around £800 (a lot less) which if often billed as the best cassette deck ever made - or the Nakamichi CR7E which is often billed as "the actual best cassette deck made for those in the know which is better than the Dragon" and shouldn't be too far off £1000. I've always loved the Pioneer CT-F1250 from the 80s though belt changes are a nightmare and it isn't quite upto the standards of the Nakamichi

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Cheers for the advice guys, I've decided to get a sony walkman then plug it into the line in on my mini hifi system I got from tescos, I reckon the musicality will be divine.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
So that you get the maximum listening pleasure, make sure you use a good quality interconect, Simon. I recommend one that has been cryogenically treated and the grain structure optimised for the signal flow from the Sony to the Tesco. You'll be astounded at the massively increased soundstage and the amount of air around the individual instruments.....
emotion-5.gif

iMark

In the days before podcasts, iPlayer like apps and DVD-recorders I used my S-VHS recorder to record concerts or documentaries from the radio. Best thing was that you could set the timer. I only had to leave my receiver on to record the broadcast. In LP mode I recorded up to 8 hours of radio on one tape. I would then play the tape and record to my minidisc deck and do edits and trackmarkings.

I listened to one of my radio recordings yesterday and they still sound pretty good.

Recording audio to VHS was one of the really underestimated qualities of the hifi stereo machines. I remember the look on the face of salesperson when I asked about audio inputs of the JVC HR-S 6711. The deck is still in the rack but doesn't get a lot of use anymore due to the arrival of a Sony DVD/HDD recorder. It still works though and the picture in S-VHS ET mode is very good (for VHS). I have digitized quite a few tapes now through the Sony recorder.

VHS has awesome sound compared to cassettes. I had an Aiwa AD-3800 many years ago (3 capstans and Dolby C) but that never sounded as good and noise free as VHS Hifi stereo.

F

FunkyMonkey

iMark:

In the days before podcasts, iPlayer like apps and DVD-recorders I used my S-VHS recorder to record concerts or documentaries from the radio. Best thing was that you could set the timer. I only had to leave my receiver on to record the broadcast. In LP mode I recorded up to 8 hours of radio on one tape. I would then play the tape and record to my minidisc deck and do edits and trackmarkings.

I listened to one of my radio recordings yesterday and they still sound pretty good.

Recording audio to VHS was one of the really underestimated qualities of the hifi stereo machines. I remember the look on the face of salesperson when I asked about audio inputs of the JVC HR-S 6711. The deck is still in the rack but doesn't get a lot of use anymore due to the arrival of a Sony DVD/HDD recorder. It still works though and the picture in S-VHS ET mode is very good (for VHS). I have digitized quite a few tapes now through the Sony recorder.

VHS has awesome sound compared to cassettes. I had an Aiwa AD-3800 many years ago (3 capstans and Dolby C) but that never sounded as good and noise free as VHS Hifi stereo.

THis was what I was trying to say. Well said. :p

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Still have my Aiwa Cassette deck in the loft.. It was great... Dolby B,C & S Always loved adjusting the "volume" on it so that the sound just bounced into the red on the graphic equaliser. It did a thing when you pressed a button it would "calibrate itself" Cant remember the model number?? Will it be worth hundreds of pounds now?? Used it to make mix tapes for hours when i was a student to playback in my car!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts