What speakers

Lloyd

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have been looking at shedloads of speaker reviews and am a little stuck. I have a pair of Diamond 10.1 speakers but they seem to lack a proper punch.

I have cd turntables and mainly play house/techno and wanted a speaker that packs a good kickdrum sound. The Wharfedales have been fine for the four years I've had them to be fair though. Any ideas ?

Have been looking at KRK Studio monitors but not sure if they're the right choice.

Thanks Lloyd

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lloyd and welcome.

Perhaps a bit bit more info might help,. What amp, cd player, deck are you using at the moment? How much do you want to spend? I am sure you will get lots of alternatives to try.

Cheers :cheers:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
OK.

You could simply buy the biggest most powerful pair of JBLs (or similar) that you can afford to replace your Diamonds.

But the best option is probably a pair of active monitors, try and get a pair with a 7 or 8 inch bass driver if you can.

Where are you based and what is your budget?

Lloyd

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for warm response gang.

The amp is a Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10

The cd decks are Poineer CDJ800MK2 .

Was looking at spending £4/500 but to be sure of a good set it'll be worth the expense :)

Am based in Benfleet Essex

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Lloyd said:

Was looking at spending £4/500 but to be sure of a good set it'll be worth the expense :)

For that sort of money I would look at an active speaker, Yamaha HS8, Mackie MR8, Rockit RP8 or my own favourite, the Presonus Eris 8.

All within budget, just need some cables and some sort of stands. Way better than any hi-fi option in this application.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Lloyd said:

For that sort of money I would look at an active speaker, Yamaha HS8, Mackie MR8, Rockit RP8 or my own favourite, the Presonus Eris 8.

All within budget, just need some cables and some sort of stands. Way better than any hi-fi option in this application.

Check out other options here.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Lloyd, for your budget and your tastes buy these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goodmans-Magister-50w-Speakers-/121361312806?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item1c41b2ac26

Pay cash on collection and make sure they're fully working when you get them.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Lloyd, for your budget and your tastes buy these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goodmans-Magister-50w-Speakers-/121361312806?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item1c41b2ac26

Pay cash on collection and make sure they're fully working when you get them.

Good call. Or if they are a bit too big there are always at least a couple of pairs of Goodmans Magnum's on there.

Lloyd

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
The Presonus look hot. And for RA to review them says a lot as they are well respected and know their dance music.

Will have a think about it ;) . Have looked at these monitors ..and they keep saying about recording/mixes/studios/ etc . I take it that the speakers are multi funtional ..all I'm looking for is a decent speaker ,not to start producing music etc. So they should still be ok for that alone shoudn't they ?

Lloyd

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Guys I've noticed that Wharfedale do a Diamond Sub ..as my current speakers are Diamonds any thoughts on getting one of these to accompany my system its a whole lot cheaper too ?

The sub is the SW150

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Lloyd said:
Guys I've noticed that Wharfedale do a Diamond Sub ..as my current speakers are Diamonds any thoughts on getting one of these to accompany my system its a whole lot cheaper too ?

The sub is the SW150

The Eris 8s would be an overall better package. Try to get a listen.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Lloyd said:

The sub is the SW150

Adding a sub may add depth and bass, depending on the quality of the sub, but will do little for punch and presence which is probably more important for your style of music.

The Eris 8 is good to about 50hz, well controlled too. For a big space a sub might be worthwhile down the line.

Some will say they loosen up and then sound better balanced after a few hours. Others will say it makes no difference. My experience s that well used speakers invariably sound better than unused or stored speakers, but it is hard to set out a rational explanation.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
There are always a number of ways to skin this particular cat.

The Eris 8 are not the only solution but they come from a respected if slightly low profile company, offer huge material value for money, the kind of controlled, powerful performance conventional (hifi) setups would struggle to match.

As always at this kind of level, there are alternatives Mackie MR8 for example, and better if you spend more, but for the money and the performance they offer it is hard to see how the Eris 8 can be bettered.

Run in is really not an issue, an hour or two to losen up the drivers and, as always, the electronics sound a little nicer when warmed up. Treat them properly, decent stands, well made cables, depending on the connectors on your 'decks' and they will do very nicely.

Lloyd

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that mate and thanks to everyone for top responses on this board . The speakers are looking like a favourite..its getting the readies together now :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts