What speakers with a Marantz amp?

Weetabix999

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi - I've just bought a Marantz PM-4001 on Ebay (used) and need some speakers to go with it now.

Its specs describe it as having 2 x 30 watts (into 8 ohms).

I've no idea what this means, but I *think* if I were to get some speakers that are 4 ohms, they wouldn't be compatible?...they would clip - damage the speakers?

And what is the total output of my amp - is it 60 watts (2 x 30)?

I'll be looking to buy some Used speakers - and I don't play my music really loud....any recommendations welcome.

Thanks!

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I had a very similar PM4200 Marantz amp. If you look at the back it states that you can use speakers in the 4-16 ohm range, but in my one at least, the instructions stated you should use speakers in the 8-16 ohm range.

You don't state a budget or whether new or secondhand, but I will say the very tiny Cambridge Audio sx50 worked nice with my amp. they have bigger brothers in the sx60. Both speakers are 8 ohms, the sx50 are 87db sensitive so your amp will drive them ok. The sx60 are 89db so they will go a bit louder.

There are 1000s of other possibilities, this is just an off the cuff recommendation for smaller speakers

Gray

Hello Weetabix999

I've just seen that Richer Sounds are doing Q Acoustics 3020 for £149.

Take specs as a guide only. The fact that Marantz quote a wattage into 8 ohms doesn't (necessariliy) mean that the amp is unsuitable for anything lower. (Also, the actual impedance of any speaker varies in use dependent on the signal)

And yes, based on the quoted 30W per channel output, you've got 60W total but the 30W is the relevant figure.

Unless you're on a very tight budget, rather than buy secondhand, I think you could do a lot worse than the above speakers for your amp, especially as you will be playing at sensible levels. They even come with a 6 year guarantee (almost certainly not necessary, but welcome)

Whatever you do, enjoy the music, as most of us do.

Weetabix999

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi - thanks for your advice.

I'm actually on an incredibly low budget - I'm looking at vintage speakers on Ebay for no more than £50 - I also like the wooden cased ones anyhow.

But most of them seem to be 4 ohm (especially the various Bang & Olufsens that I'm looking at) - so what you're suggesting is that I'd still be OK with these?

insider9

If that helps at all. The above mentioned Cambridge Audio SX50 can be had on eBay for circa £50.

If you know what you're looking for £50 can get a rather decent pair of speakers.

Musical taste, expectations and your room will matter a lot so I won't go as far as recommending a pair since I don't know any of these.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Just to follow on from above-

I looked at the marantz pm4001 and it states that 8-16 ohm speakers need to be used so the thermal switc cut off is not activated. This is exactly as my pm4200 said, and 6 ohm speakers triped it regular, when i replaced them with 8 ohm ones it never again happened. 4 or 6 ohm ones are not suitable

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts