What speakers to complement a Rega RP1 turntable and Marantz PM6004?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the Hi Fi world and was looking for some advice. I recently purchased a Rega RP1 turntable and a Marantz PM6004 amp and am looking for advice on what type of speakers would give me the best sound on a relative budget. I have seen a great offer for a pair of Monitor Audio BX2 speakers, what would these be like? What other speakers in a similar price range might people recommend?

It's mostly vinyl I'm interested in listening to (everything from rock to classical) at the moment.

Many thanks,

Mick

A

Anonymous

Welcome to the fourm ;)

What is your budget Mick?

Have you also budgeted for stands or are you planning on putting your speakers onto shelves/a unit or similar?

The BX2's will work very well indeed but so would a number of other speakers (standmount and floorstanding) etc...!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the response hifilover1979,

Was planning on bookshelf speakers to start with, budget is around £200-250.

Have read a lot of good stuff about the BX2's but a "helpful" salesman told me that they would not work well with the marantz pm6004. In actual fact he told me "those BX2s should be used as a method of torture in Guantanamo!" Needless to say that shop did not stock Monitor Audio and he advised a different brand.

Hard to know what to do with so much opinion out there!

A

Anonymous

Ive got the Bx2's with the pm6004 and im really impressed, for the price you can't go wrong.

Does the RP1 work well with the pm6004? As im wanting a new turntable.

Cheers..

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The BX2 are great speakers but you can also try the Dali Zensor 1 speakers. The Zensors sound more natural and sound more detailed.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
MickC said:
Thanks for the response hifilover1979,

Have read a lot of good stuff about the BX2's but a "helpful" salesman told me that they would not work well with the marantz pm6004. In actual fact he told me "those BX2s should be used as a method of torture in Guantanamo!" Needless to say that shop did not stock Monitor Audio and he advised a different brand.

Hard to know what to do with so much opinion out there!

I could be wrong but it seems that the " Salesman" in question was actually a complete T**ser. :silenced:

eliotn

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
....stretch the budget to £399 (SevenOaks) and get a pair of KEF Q300...I auditioned very recently Marantz PM6004 wih the following:

MA BX2

MA RX1

B&W 685

and finally KEF Q300

KEF performed (by far) the best with PM6004...It was connected to Caiman->Spotify...

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
eliotn said:
....stretch the budget to £399 (SevenOaks) and get a pair of KEF Q300...I auditioned very recently Marantz PM6004 wih the following:

MA BX2

MA RX1

B&W 685

and finally KEF Q300

KEF performed (by far) the best with PM6004...It was connected to Caiman->Spotify...

I did the same and found totally the opposite. Strange

MickC said:
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the Hi Fi world and was looking for some advice. I recently purchased a Rega RP1 turntable and a Marantz PM6004 amp and am looking for advice on what type of speakers would give me the best sound on a relative budget. I have seen a great offer for a pair of Monitor Audio BX2 speakers, what would these be like? What other speakers in a similar price range might people recommend?

It's mostly vinyl I'm interested in listening to (everything from rock to classical) at the moment.

Many thanks,

Mick

Hi Mick

Rega's RP1 and the Marantz PM6004 work a treat with BX2's :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MickC said:

Hi Mick

:rofl:

Btw, dare i ask as to what alternative speakers were advised to you instead? :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

eliotn

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure there are a few people on this forum who auditioned the same lot and found 685 or RX1 "the best"...:)

Everything written here is subjective...

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
Harlany0 said:
Ive got the Bx2's with the pm6004 and im really impressed, for the price you can't go wrong.

Does the RP1 work well with the pm6004? As im wanting a new turntable.

Cheers..

Hi Harlany0

Yes, Rega RP1 turntable works well with the PM6004 amp and BX2 speakers :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Cheers, I'm just looking for a decent turntable without spending a fortune so I'm glad the rp1 ticks all the boxes :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts